Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journey - Starting at 10mg

MemberMember
(@leicagirl)

Posted : 03/15/2016 5:35 pm

Hi all, this is my first time posting anything on this site  even though I've been reading and getting info since 2008. Summary of me: 28 yr old female living in NYC, had mild to moderate acne since I was 12. Never ever had a time when I was clear even though I've been on the typical antibiotics, birth control, Spironolactone for five years, PDT laser treatments, tried the Whole 30 diet for several months (stricter version of paleo), all the topicals Rx and OTC. My worst period was when I started eating super clean, I had never had consistent cystic acne and never really along my jawline (indicating that it's hormonal) but after I started the Whole 30 which basically got my body into the healthiest place EVER, I gained a ton of weight and also broke out like crazy. I went to a nutritionist who put me on a vitamins and supplements only "cleanse". This helped immensely and I was nearly clear but not perfect. I was happy but a little over a year later after I moved back to NYC from Paris I started to break out again and this time I decided to see a new Derm. I hadn't seen onthe for so many years because I figured they just couldn't do anything for me anymore. I told him the story and he immediately said accutane would be my only choice. It's my last resort and I kind of sighed and said ok. My skin is probably nothing compared to severity of some members' acne cases, but at the end of the day it's acne and it's something no one wants and it has affected my self confidence tremendously. I just want clear skin!!

So I've been on the meds for a month, I took my last 10mg pill today. We decided to start low because I was really nervous about the initial purging and he said it wouldn't be severe if we took baby steps. I did get quite a few predominant bumps and a lot of small ones all over for the first few weeks but about a week ago they started to subside (also I had my period which probably broke me out too) and even though the zits are small they're still there but the rest of my skin is noticeably smoother. My main concern was that I had what looked like clogged pores EVERYWHERE, especially on the sides of my mouth by my chin. So in good lighting my face looks good but in daylight or other lighting - I look like a hot mess and I was always super self conscious. These clogged pores are starting to go away! I was also super super oily..I wouldn't go anywhere without my Shiseido oil blotting papers and I'd be blotting once every hour. Oil production has also eased up.

Basically I didn't think to start my story earlier because other than the initial breakout I didn't have much to update with. I had one excruciating headache the first day I took it and my nose did bleed often, whenever I blew my nose in the shower but my nasal veins have always been weak so nosebleeds are nbd to me. And I also get migraines VERY often but since taking Accutane I haven't really had any except for the first day which is really surprising. 

I'm starting my first pack of 20mg tomorrow. I'm 5'3" and weigh about 110 lbs so my Derm said 50mg will be my max. 

(The photos below are from during Week1)
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.1e8f12235fd34e1FullSizeRender_1.jpg.7a6a77ed6eaaf4f70a3

So things are going pretty swimmingly but we'll see if they get better or worse as I up my dosage. I'll  be back to update!

MemberMember
(@leicagirl)

Posted : 03/15/2016 6:06 pm

I also wanted to include the list of products I've been using. It was recommended that I basically use a face wash and moisturizer..to skip all the other steps in skincare but I am a skincare nazi and I refuse to let my skin "age" during the time I'm on Accutane. So my steps are kind of extensive but I love the process of pampering my skin especially at night.

Cleansers: Dermalogica Skin Clearing Wash and Avene Cleanance Gel (will probably switch to something without acne fighting ingredients once my skin starts to get really dry. But for now these are what I had and will continue to use.

Serums: Amore Pacific Time Response Toner (AM) and Cle De Peau serum (PM)

Moisturizers: Cetaphil Ultra Hydrating Moisturizer and Avene Compensating Creme

Face Oil: Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate

Sunscreen: Purlisse SPF 30 Moisturizer

Eyecream: La Prairie anti-Aging