Notifications
Clear all

Uk Nhs Accutane Help

MemberMember
(@ben382)

Posted : 09/11/2015 7:34 am

Hi everyone, i have my first derm appointment in a couple of weeks. Im pretty sure im going to be prescribed accutane due to the number of other treatments my gp has tried and now the scarring being left behind.

However, after my appointment i go to uni and it will be very costly to come back, especially frequently. I just wondered if i could do the required blood tests and get prescriptions from my gp/hospital close to my uni after my first appointment?

MemberMember
(@kitp)

Posted : 09/11/2015 4:49 pm

Hello :)

I don't know exactly as although I live in the UK my GP actually advised me to see a dermotologist privately as my skin has gotten so bad and is scarring so severely he said it really couldn't wait and I needed to go on accutane ASAP (fortunately I am in a financial situation where I can just about manage it). But although I see my private derm at a hospital, my GP is the one who conducts the blood tests and although the derm writes out the private prescriptions, I can take it to whatever pharmacy I like. However I do have to see my derm for regular check ups (about every month to six weeks) as he needs to see my skin and monitor how the drug is affecting me etc. from what I understand (could be wrong here though) you get your prescriptions at the check in appointments, so you could tie this all together in one trip every six weeks? Alternatively you could explain to your derm and see if you could be transferred to someone close to uni? Or if he could send prescriptions to a pharmacy near your uni to pick up if you ever ran out? I'm sure if you just explained the situation a solution could be found :)

I'm just going into second year at uni and have started accutane today, I wish you lots of luck ok your accutane journey :)

Kitty :)

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 09/13/2015 12:13 pm

Me and my brother are/were on accutane. Me privately, him through NHS. (England)

After the derm appointment he had his blood tests done and then got prescribed. He had to see the nurse once a month for two months, then they didn't want to see him again for another three.