Notifications
Clear all

Managing Stress While On Accutane

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/30/2015 12:47 pm

Hi guys,

I'm 28 and I'm on week 6 of Accutane. I found that my first bout of PMS on Accutane was really severe. I was more sad and tired than usual, but the summer's coming to an end, and I'm trying to balance budgets, and whatnot, so I couldn't be sure how much of my sadness was due to PMS and life circumstances of that week, and how much was due to Accutane. Just to be clear, I was just down in the dumps, not suicidal or even depressed.

I felt like that for about a week, and then my social worker came to tell my husband and I that we were chosen as an adoptive family for a child! Ah! We've been waiting so long, and this is the best news ever! A common emotion with adoption though, is not wanting to celebrate. Being let down so many times in this process has made the news difficult to believe. After about 4 days, the news finally set in, I got over my bout of sadness and I'm excited, and full of anticipation. At first I just had this sickening feeling that it was all going to be taken away, but I know that's normal, and my life has conditioned me to feel this way about having children, sadly.

I've been through a lot. I'm crazy busy for the next few months anyway with weddings and parties and all kinds of wonderful things! Now, I'm going to have a child thrown into the mix who needs me to be at the top of my game! My family doesn't even know yet, but I expect to be meeting him within two weeks. Right now, I feel like my normal self. I have high hopes for the future and I'm feeling very positive. But, I'm hoping to get some of your opinions on Accutane. If I start to feel down again and wonder if it's the Accutane, should I go off of it and try at a time when my life is more settled? I'd hate to waste the month and a half I've already put into it. I think my skin is starting to clear and I'd love to have beautiful clear skin for all the new family things we're about to jump into.

So my question is, how much did Accutane change your mood?

MemberMember
(@989898l)

Posted : 09/02/2015 5:41 am

Accutane didn't change my mood TOO much but it did make me slightly more emotional with things I wouldn't normally be but I suggest to just keep pushing on! I'm about a month and a half in and I'm not seeing progress yet but I hope to soon.

I think the best idea of what to do is to look at the end product, think about the month you end (January?) and just keep pushing for that goal.

Hope everything goes well for you and hope the new member of your family is everything you ever wished for!

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 09/03/2015 9:56 am

Accutane has made me literally emotionless. I don't fret about small things and am just way more calm.... Lol

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 09/06/2015 5:06 am

Thanks so much for responding!

I think the best idea of what to do is to look at the end product, think about the month you end (January?) and just keep pushing for that goal.

I think I'll do that!

Accutane has made me literally emotionless. I don't fret about small things and am just way more calm.... Lol

I definitely feel unusually emotionless at times. But when I'm feeling my emotions, I'm really feeling them. I never expected this much emotional difference. Day by day I suppose!

MemberMember
(@lizj2011)

Posted : 09/06/2015 11:56 am

Thanks so much for responding!

I think I'll do that!

>

I definitely feel unusually emotionless at times. But when I'm feeling my emotions, I'm really feeling them. I never expected this much emotional difference. Day by day I suppose!

So very true. I just now started experiencing the random emotions. Usually at night when i'm laying down. Ridiculous pathetic I hate my life cry for about 5 minutes then I'm back to being emotionless and fall asleep... Smh.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 01/30/2016 6:26 pm

I just thought I should update this thread in case anyone else finds themselves here in a similar situation. I finished Accutane a month and a half ago. I now have a handsome six year old and clear skin. My emotions ended up very dull throughout the remainder of my course. I'm normally a very emotional person. Going through all the ups and downs of an adoption, I found this actually to be an advantage. I'm glad I stayed the course!