Notifications
Clear all

Length Of Roaccutane Treatment?

MemberMember
(@travellinggirl)

Posted : 08/28/2015 10:26 am

I have just been prescribed roaccutane, following several years of mild - moderate but persistent acne, (cysts always present but only normally 2 at a time, plus lots of other smaller spots) I realise compared to many people this is mild - but having gone on for years, leaving scarring etc, I am now absolutely fed up of it. Feel like I've tried everything / been prescribed many different things / tried various diets etc, but nothing has worked. Bearing in mind I am 29, I figure that there is clearly an imbalance somewhere. I am concerned about the side effects on my health, but for now have decided to go with it...

The dermatologist hasn't really said how long I will be on it for, he mentioned 4 months, although it depends on my progress. I am taking 30mg a day.

Has anyone experienced being on roaccutane for a shorter period of time than this? What is a usual / common time frame for being on this treatment?

I know it depends on so many factors, but just to gain an idea of other people's experiences and time frame - ideally I would like to be on it for as short a time as possible!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ihateusernamesx)

Posted : 08/28/2015 1:50 pm

Hi!

I have had 2 courses. First one was either 9 or 10 months, I can't exactly remember as it was nearly 10 years ago lol. I was on it again last/this year and was only 6 months this time.

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/30/2015 2:43 pm

Hi there. I have always had moderate but persistent acne and severely oily skin since I was 13 and I am 36 now. Most of the derms I have had over the years have told me that moderate acne is actually the hardest to treat as it is the most stubborn. I have been on accutane 3 times and I just started a 4th course as my acne on my back has gotten severe even though the accutane did seem to help clear my bacne for years but not my face. I always was put on accutane for a 5 month course. I have notice a lot of people on here seemed to be on it for 6 months.

MemberMember
(@travellinggirl)

Posted : 09/02/2015 4:24 am

Thanks... I am just hoping for a shorter rather than longer treatment, seeing as my acne is not that severe I was hoping it might be shorter - I guess I will just wait and see what the derm says... Interesting point about moderate acne being more difficult to shift though...

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 09/02/2015 5:39 am

It seems about the average is 5 or 6 months. They usually treat for 2 months after your skin clears. 6-8 months is not uncommon. Many have done a bit longer. All depends on what dose you are taking and how you are responding.