Notifications
Clear all

Stieva A, Clindoxyl, And Alesse

MemberMember
(@120793)

Posted : 08/28/2015 1:33 am

Hi! So I've always had clear skin then I started breaking out because of the Mirena IUD back in October. I started using Retinol A 0.05% and Clindoxyl and had my IUD removed in June.

My skin improved a lot but my clindyoxl expired about a month ago. I started using a Khiels over the counter product instead. Lately I started to break out again so I went back to the doctor.

I got a new Clindoxyl prescription and was prescribed Stieva A 0.1% and Alesse to regulate my period and because my doctor said it would help with my acne.

I've been reading some reviews that Alesse made people break out even more. It's been a few days and I still have a lot of little bumps. Should I stop taking th Alesse before it makes my skin worst?

MemberMember
(@snowkistx)

Posted : 09/17/2016 3:30 pm

I hardly ever broke out on Alesse/Aviane/Portia and all the other ones they say are "bad" or high-androgen birth controls made with low dose EE/Levonorgestrel. I was on it for over 7 years with no problems. I know a lot of people say it wrecked their skin but mine was fine from 15-24. So it's neither here nor there. You just gotta see what works I guess. I never had acne prone skin as a teen/pre-teen tho so when I went on bcp it was for contraceptive purposes.

I did, however, experience pretty bad breakouts (for me anyway) when switching to Yasmin (Ocella) twice now-- which is the bcp that everyone says does wonders for their skin. Right now I've been off all birth control due to being freaked out by all of this.

For almost a year now though -- I've just been on antibiotics (Keflex) on and off for periods of 3 months at a time. I also have been using Azelex to help treat and fade marks from these Yasmin induced breakouts (or that's how I feel about it).

I had a doctor give me clearance to go on spiro without birth control (due to my fear of it making things worse) but I'm wary since I know that it's what's in Yasmin that makes it so great. So I've decided to see what my other women's health doctor thinks about my theory and might just try the Aviane again. I'm freak out by all of this tho but I can't be antibiotics forever but each time I go off my breakouts start to come back.

So we will see...