Notifications
Clear all

No Moisturizer On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 06/07/2015 7:09 am

Hey guys...

Currently on my 4th month of Accutane and, although the occurance of active acne has slowed, my skin is still in awful condition. It's horribly blotchy and red marks from BEFORE accutane are still there, let alone the ones from my IB...even though I have less active acne, it actually LOOKS like I have more because of the marks.

Now...my dermatologist told me not to moisturize, so I have only been putting a small bit around my lips and stubble because that's where it gets flaky, but not anywhere where I got acne. She said it was best to just let it dry completely...and sometimes the 'dead skin' actually covers the marks and makes them seem whiter -- but other days, like today, they look very violent and red.

It's really starting to get to me.

I was wondering if maybe moisturizing these marks would help, or should I just let them dry? I've read how everyone pretty much moisturises on accutane, but then I've heard a lot of dermatologists recently suggesting against it...

I just don't know what to do! I, personally, hate putting moisturizer on because it makes my face beet red and horribly shiny and greasy, but if it will help my marks I will do it? Or will it have no effect and if I can live with the dryness, to just let it dry out?

Many thanks

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 06/07/2015 10:10 am

IDk there was someone that posted on the starting tane board that didnt use moisturizer or derm didnt rec it

I used very very little light moisturizer when i was on tane

It was uncomfy but i never peeled or flaked

I thought moisturizer may help reduce the harshness of the red marks from ib and prior breakouts but i dont think it matters

will need to use retin-a or do IPL post tane

just my .02

gl

kim

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 06/07/2015 11:09 am

Thanks Kim. It's such a shame.. how do people with these success stories have absolutely no red marks?

Either way, I only really get mega flaky around my mouth so that's where I'll put moisturizer.

Ugh... why can't we just peel off our skin and have new skin grow?

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 06/07/2015 1:21 pm

Right?

Im a girl so for us I think makeup plays a HUGE part and lighting on camera phones etc is very forgiving

Hang in there

gl

kim

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 06/07/2015 3:10 pm

Yeah..Im a guy and I used to wear makeup because of my skin, I stopped about a month ago but I'm thinking of starting again :(

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 06/07/2015 4:48 pm

I couldnt imagine NOT wearing any

you couldnt pay me to go out without it

Little cc cream and powder goes a LONG way

I can take a pic of myself and look almost flawless

Now its the small red bumps im getting and old IB scars that piss me off

HOPING retin-a takes care fo them

if not will need to wiat 6 mnths for IPL or other procedures

(peel?)

kim