Notifications
Clear all

3.5 Months Of Accutane- Acne Worse After Switching To Amnesteem

MemberMember
(@user435764)

Posted : 04/26/2015 8:41 pm

Hi all..

I need some guidance. I am a female, 132lbs, and have moderate but extremely persistent and often cystic acne on my face. I am on 60mg, but started out my first month on 20, second month on 40, 3rd month on 60. My skin was FINALLY getting better (not great, not perfect, but quite a bit better) at about 95 days on Claravis. I then switched to Amnesteem almost a week ago and things went downhill..I even feel as though I'm getting a cyst, which I haven't gotten in a month and a half to two. In addition, my eczema IMMEDIATELY went away when I switched to Amnesteem. This is actually worrying me, lol, which I realize is probably paranoid, but the eczema was bearable and told me that-yes- the Claravis was working! Plus my skin was getting better on Claravis. However, my lips and nose are still just as dry now.

Yes, I'm used to my skin getting worse and worse, with new breakouts every day, but it's disheartening to have felt like It was finally starting to improve, only to have it get worse again. This has happened before in the course of my treatment, but now that I'm at 3.5 months, multiple dermatologists have told me to expect to start to see results. I guess my question is.. Has anyone had a similar experience this far into their course? I realize it's not "far" for some one on a longer course, but I'd like to get off Accutane at 6 or 7 months, whatever it takes to get to my cumulative dose. What are y'all's thoughts on increasing dose to 80? And whether switching brands may have had any effect? I realize this is unlikely, as they all have same active ingredient- BUT like I said, my eczema vanished when I started Amnesteem. Is it possible that one of the inactive ingredients or "binding agents" is somehow helpful to the drug's absorption into your system? I couldn't figure it out from my research.

Any tips/experience would be appreciated... I have a feeling this is all psychosomatic and paranoid of me but I want to be sure I haven't de-railed my treatment by switching brands.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/26/2015 11:37 pm

My skin actually got better after switching to amnesteem and I have less side effects from it. Just because you have lost a side effect does not mean it's not working.

MemberMember
(@danadanadana)

Posted : 04/27/2015 9:08 pm

I was on a full course of accutane for 5-6 months (60 mg per day). I actually had acne throughout my ENTIRE course, and was still breaking out near the end (not as much, but it didn't look good). My skin didn't get totally clear until a few months after the course. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/28/2015 9:32 am

I think tane is a WILD up and down ride and we want to look for answers as far as why we are still breaking out or why our side effects get worse and better.

I have been in the same brand tane the entire course (in my 6th mnth) my breakouts have come and gone..Ive had 3 really bad IB

Ive also recently reduced my dose and my side effects are getting worse and worse

All I can say is there is no rhyme or reason to this madness....i know its not much help but i think u just need to follow the course/hit your cumulative dose and take it from there

I was breaking out well into my 5th mnth..some people break out until the end and only clear AFTER they stop.....

Im sorry, I know it sucks as I am a big control freak and wanted to FIX my problems on tane or at least tyr and make sense ot it!

hang in there

kim

MemberMember
(@user435764)

Posted : 04/28/2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for the support. It helps somewhat to know others have been through it his same nail biter of a roller coaster.. I saw my dermatologist yesterday for 2 cortisone injections and she was like "you're not supposed to be getting cysts still!" That didn't make me feel much better. I decided I am going to stay on 60mg, since that's 1mg/kg for me...

Again, thanks guys.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/28/2015 3:33 pm

same here!

I was only finishing my 2nf mnth of tane and saw the PA for an injection (not my normal Dr) and she said the same damn thing!

I shouldnt be breaking out like this and I should have been on 80mg from the get go!

grrrr

shut it

so much easier said than done when u arent talking the meds!!!

kim