Notifications
Clear all

Importance Of Moisturiser?

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 04/16/2015 5:48 am

Hi guys! I'm currently into my third month of accutane (currently 40mg per day) and the dryness is beginning to kick in -- I honestly look like santa with a white beard around my stubble o.o;

Anyways I just had a quick question. I'm off of work right now and will probably be for the next month, so am spending a lot of time at home by myself -- I wanted to ask whether or not moisturiser is really that important? Obviously it's essential when going out, because I'm a complete flakey mess -- but when I'm at home, is it best to just let it all dry out?

I thought I saw major improvement the other day, but it turns out that my skin was just covered in dead skin, so when I applied the moisturizer it all came off and I saw the monster underneath, haha -- it actually makes me feel better to be dry for a change. I've noticed that every time I use moisturizer I seem to come out in an extra spot as well, but that could just be coincidence.

Has anyone here not used moisturiser during their course?

What are the actual benefits of moisturiser?

Is it better for your acne and redmarks/scarring to use moisturiser or to just let it dry out?

Just not sure whether to let it dry for the next month or so.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@clarityplease)

Posted : 04/16/2015 7:06 am

Hi there

Moisturiser is generally better for your skin in terms of regulating hydration and regeneration. As accutane (isotretinoin) inhibits the production of sebum (oil) in your skin, it's best to replenish it with some superficial moisture. Chronically dry skin results in more fine lines and is more prone to breaking. It also takes longer to heal (and healing is further hindered by the isotretinoin).

My skin doesn't seem to like having most moisturisers on it (very sensitive, and I'm also on isotretinoin). So I've been using organic rosehip oil; I just put a few drops on my (clean) fingertips and rub it in gently. I find if I do this before bed I wake up without flakiness. I know it seems counterproductive to put oil on your face; but rosehip oil is non-comedogenic (doesn't block pores) and has antibacterial properties.

I hope this helps !

MemberMember
(@hamleys)

Posted : 04/16/2015 10:41 am

When I was on accutane I, like most, had an incredibly dry face.

I never really considered not using a moisturiser, I could barely speak if I got out of the shower and didn't moisturise!

I tried a few and found the best (least irritating to my skin and least oily) to be Olay Complete Care Day Fluid, the one for Normal/oily skin (as opposed to the one for sensitive skin). This has the added bonus of having spf15 in it also.

Prior to taking accutane I had fairly oily skin, that was 5 years ago. Now I still have to moisturise a little when I get out of the shower, but I feel it's better to give me skin the hydration it needs than for it to get desperate and produce lots of oil!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/16/2015 10:45 am

Jumping in....and a question

Did u use the same olay at night even with the spf?

Ive had a hard time on tane with hydration

everything is either too heavy or too light..causes red bumps//icthing..burning...still trying to find the right combo..but im almost headed into my 6th mnth..so might be done by the time i figure it out

My only rec would be to try a hydrating or gentle oil cleanser

Make sure u arent using a cleanser for oily skin or a drying gel cleanser...can make a big difference

Also hydrating masks are a nice touch 2-3x a week for extra hydration

GL

kim

MemberMember
(@hamleys)

Posted : 04/16/2015 11:10 am

Jumping in....and a question

Did u use the same olay at night even with the spf?

Ive had a hard time on tane with hydration

everything is either too heavy or too light..causes red bumps//icthing..burning...still trying to find the right combo..but im almost headed into my 6th mnth..so might be done by the time i figure it out

My only rec would be to try a hydrating or gentle oil cleanser

Make sure u arent using a cleanser for oily skin or a drying gel cleanser...can make a big difference

Also hydrating masks are a nice touch 2-3x a week for extra hydration

GL

kim

Generally I didn't really moisturise too often at night unless it was absolutely necessary because I'd just got a new girlfriend and I didn't want my pillows to get all gunky, ha. And if so, yeah I'd use a little bit of the Olay, despite the SPF, and sometimes with a drop of jojoba oil in. Figured it was easier than trying to find something else my skin liked!

Saying that, there were times where I knew I'd wash my bedclothes the next day where I'd relish the chance to go to bed slathered in moisturiser and jojoba oil!

The jojoba oil in the mornings was probably only at weekends or days off college, as I seem to remember it could make my face look very shiny.

I also used to take a little bottle of the Olay stuff with me everywhere, and had one in the car. So it was more a case of putting on a little when I felt I needed it, rather than putting a load on in the morning, and a load on before bed. I guess this isn't so easy if you're wearing make-up though :(

I agree with what you said about the cleanser, get the gentlest possible. I used cetaphil (and like the Olay, I still do) and it was great.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 04/16/2015 7:44 pm

Thanks guys for the response! The dryness isn't uncomfortable for me, just unsightly - but if I wasn't leaving the house I wouldn't mind leaving it...

So is it actually bad for your red scars/marks? Or would it help? Ive found people saying both which makes it confusing!

I guess I kind of like having the dry skin 'coverup' the redness haha.. Makes me feel like there's improvement as opposed to being all shiny/greasy looking and red :S hmmm...

MemberMember
(@cshock1)

Posted : 04/18/2015 1:22 pm

You can probably never find the true answer when it comes to your face because everybody varies so much! Some people say moisturize some people say don't. I would die without my moisturizer. I use epiceram it's a little expensive about $200 to $300. But with a prescription it's cheap. I'm no longer dry at all.. It's awesome. I too used to think my face looked great until all the dead skin went away. Moisturizing will get rid of the redness in areas. Especially in the dry red patches. I breakout when I switch anything on my face but maybe you'll be lucky. Good luck!