Notifications
Clear all

Stopped Birth Control Pill, What's Next Iud? - Pcos And On Spiro 100Mg

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 03/04/2015 3:05 pm

Well I am back, mostly to share my new journey and document it a bit and hopefully learn from others on here.

I have been on birth control pills for most of my adult life, hmmm about 17 years and due to increased complex migraines with aphasia I have been doctor ordered to never take birth control again. GULP

Basically last year I had horrible adult acne, diagnosed with PCOS, got completely clear on Spiro 75mg and Yas together. Have been clear since May 2014. What a blessing. So imagine my horror when my doctor told me I had no choice or I could have a stroke. I quit cold turkey about 3 weeks ago and upped my Spiro to 100mg. And of course started praying to the gods that I would not see a setback. So far I have not had another breakout from the increased dose and besides being slightly more lethargic and having to pee again like a race horse since I upped it last week, things are status quo.

Sprio has been a life saver. I was anxious, miserable, couldn't sleep, was breaking out like crazy (Spiro did make this much worse before it got better). And by April/May I had my life back and even better.

Now that I am off the pill, I am interested to hear if anyone else here has quit Birth Control Pill completely? What did you try after? How about Copper IUD? I need to look into alternative BC methods since I am banned from the pill for life.

Thank you! xo

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2015 3:22 pm

Well I am back, mostly to share my new journey and document it a bit and hopefully learn from others on here.

I have been on birth control pills for most of my adult life, hmmm about 17 years and due to increased complex migraines with aphasia I have been doctor ordered to never take birth control again. GULP

Basically last year I had horrible adult acne, diagnosed with PCOS, got completely clear on Spiro 75mg and Yas together. Have been clear since May 2014. What a blessing. So imagine my horror when my doctor told me I had no choice or I could have a stroke. I quit cold turkey about 3 weeks ago and upped my Spiro to 100mg. And of course started praying to the gods that I would not see a setback. So far I have not had another breakout from the increased dose and besides being slightly more lethargic and having to pee again like a race horse since I upped it last week, things are status quo.

Sprio has been a life saver. I was anxious, miserable, couldn't sleep, was breaking out like crazy (Spiro did make this much worse before it got better). And by April/May I had my life back and even better.

Now that I am off the pill, I am interested to hear if anyone else here has quit Birth Control Pill completely? What did you try after? How about Copper IUD? I need to look into alternative BC methods since I am banned from the pill for life.

Thank you! xo

Hi! Quitting yaz completely is what really triggered a dramatic worsening of my acne. That being said, I wasn't on spiro at the time. Since spiro is basically yaz without the birth control part (or so I am told), I don't think that is a risk for you. It sounds like you don't have a whole lot of options in terms of non-hormonal birth control. I have heard some good things and not so good things about the copper IUD, but it's the only non hormonal non-barrier form of birth control out there that I know of? I mean, besides the rhythm method...

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/04/2015 4:13 pm

my friend had the copper iud and had great success with it. she said it made her periods worse in the beginning but after a bit they went back to normal. i was going to get the copper iud myself but just decided to use condoms instead because basically i was just scared about the insertion -ha ha! i love that the copper iud lasts for 10 years though that is pretty awesome! hope you stay clear and keep me updated on things ;)

MemberMember
(@tennis123)

Posted : 10/20/2016 12:54 pm

Hey- I am wondering how this is going for you at this point? I am wanting to stop Yaz. My skin is 95% clear on Yaz + 50-100mg of Spiro. Now taking 100mg spiro, and planning on stopping yaz in 2 weeks. Also supplementing, vit, minerals, fish oil.... Really freaked out that I will break out. I've been on BC 14 years. Any input would be helpful- I'm scared!!!