Notifications
Clear all

Accutane In Uk - Private Referral Questions!

MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/24/2015 6:55 pm

Hi all, would really appreciate any knowledge on this from UK based people.

My acne has become severe and I am desperate to see my derm to go on roaccutane (for a second time, asI first took it in 2010) but my appointment is more than three months away! I currently haven't left my flat in days so don't see how I can wait that long.

From Google I think a private appointment with a derm would be around 75 but does anyone know how much the roaccutane prescription costs on top of that? And then are there any other costs?

I've read that I could then refer back to the NHS once I've got my prescription - does anyone know how this works?

Any help much appreciated!!

MemberMember
(@nicholas1994)

Posted : 02/24/2015 9:32 pm

If I were you I would not go on roaccutane. I couldn't say for sure if it's what has... haulted my life. But pretty strange how I've been plagued with problems since I finished not while I was on it. Do you live in Scotland or Northern uk?

MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/25/2015 6:15 am

If I were you I would not go on roaccutane. I couldn't say for sure if it's what has... haulted my life. But pretty strange how I've been plagued with problems since I finished not while I was on it. Do you live in Scotland or Northern uk?

Thanks for replying, I've been on it before and had a positive experience (apart from the acne coming back haha) so I think that's why I'm not as freaked out or hesitant as a lot of people are when it comes to going on roaccutane!

I live in Hertfordshire, UK.

MemberMember
(@dave-uk)

Posted : 02/25/2015 9:11 am

Have a look at this site >> http://www.botonics.co.uk/treatments/roaccutane-for-acne/#women

From 2008 it says roughly 36 per stone of body weight.

MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/25/2015 11:56 am

Have a look at this site >> http://www.botonics.co.uk/treatments/roaccutane-for-acne/#women

From 2008 it says roughly 36 per stone of body weight.

Thanks Dave, that looks OK but above it says the general treatment is 1200... so maybe not!!

MemberMember
(@dave-uk)

Posted : 02/25/2015 1:49 pm

It was just an indication of how much a private prescription for accutane would cost.

Obiviously the consultation and blood tests would be additional.

MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/25/2015 8:09 pm

It was just an indication of how much a private prescription for accutane would cost.

Obiviously the consultation and blood tests would be additional.

I know I was just saying that the additional costs would maybe tip it out of my budget... thanks for the link though :)

MemberMember
(@rolumicies)

Posted : 02/26/2015 12:08 pm

Hi all, would really appreciate any knowledge on this from UK based people.

My acne has become severe and I am desperate to see my derm to go on roaccutane (for a second time, asI first took it in 2010) but my appointment is more than three months away! I currently haven't left my flat in days so don't see how I can wait that long.

From Google I think a private appointment with a derm would be around 75 but does anyone know how much the roaccutane prescription costs on top of that? And then are there any other costs?

I've read that I could then refer back to the NHS once I've got my prescription - does anyone know how this works?

Any help much appreciated!!

Lolak16 I will break it down for you:

My initial private consultation with a derm costs 180. However, I was prescribed roaccutane on the same day and given a private prescription.

It cost me just under 100 for 2 months worth of capsules at Boots. This was me taking 40mg a day. So for myself in total a private prescription of roacctuane (6 months at 40mg) would cost around 300. If you require more per dose than of course it would be more. You will not be able to take a private prescription to your GP to get in filled via the NHS. I actually did try and was told by my GP it wasn't possible as a private consultant gave me the prescription.

You will need at least 2 follow up consultations after the inital one (as long as you have no complications, mine cost 120 each)- one at around 2 months and one 5 or 6 months after you finish your course (which will probably be between 5-7 months).

The only other cost involved is blood tests, however I was able to get these at my NHS GP surgery. I just bought along the slip the private derm requested them on and the GP was happy to do this. If you had the bloods done privately it would cost around 100-200 as they carry out 2 seperate analysis- lipid profile and liver function. You will need at least 2 blood tests (one before and one after taking roaccutane) again as long as thier were no complications.

Breakdown of Roaccutane costs privately (my personal first hand experiance)

3 consultations 180, 120, 120

Private Prescription 300 for 6 months worth of 40mg daily dose

2 blood tests free via NHS GP Surgery

Obviously, keep in mind your costs may be higher or lower depending on:

- which consultant derm you choose and how much he charges fo consultations

- which pharmacy you get your private prescription filled, how much they charge per capsule and how high your daily dose will be

- whether your GP surgery will be happy to carry out your blood tests on the NHS

- any complications will incur either further consultations or further blood tests not to mention (god forbid) other treatment/scans

lolak16 liked
MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/26/2015 12:12 pm

Thank you so much rolumicies, you're amazing! Really helpful :)

MemberMember
(@dave-uk)

Posted : 02/27/2015 8:07 am

Couple of other tips.

I was told when I was enquiring to use the hospital pharmacy to collect your prescription as their costs are much cheaper then using a high street pharmacy.

Also shop around for blood tests if you cant get them on the NHS. A Dr's local to me does blood tests on site, and quoted 50 for a roaccutane specfic blood test.