Notifications
Clear all

How To Get Off Clindamycin And Tretinion

MemberMember
(@mads480)

Posted : 02/23/2015 11:23 pm

I'm use clindamycin in the morning & tretinion at night everyday along with that I take minocycline 100mg twice a day and I really want to get off it all but not all at once should I start getting off the creams or pills first? I went off the pills once and didn't get to wean myself of it because my doctor wouldn't refill my perscription and it was terrible , my face was full of deep pimples my face literally hurt from all the pimples and how deep they where so how would I go off the pills to make it easier on my skin & how would I go off the creams ?. I've been on all of this for about 2 years and it's time to get off.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/24/2015 12:59 am

Why do you want to get off clindamycin and tretinoin? I understand not wanting to be on antibiotics long term, but are you having bad side effects with the creams too?

I would personally try to get off antibiotics first and keep the creams going, just in case you break out from going off the antibiotics, at least you have some topicals to help get you through it. In my opinion, it never seems safe to "wean" off an antibiotic as they are prescribed in that dose for a reason. I have read logs of people who took their pills every other day or something and slowly space it out like that, but I would be wary of the side effects. You can also try to supplement that with a very strict and healthy diet if that's not something you're currently doing.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@b552299g)

Posted : 04/02/2015 9:48 pm

Definitely do not stop everything at once. Its best to only change one thing at a time. This will ensure you know what is having an affect on your acne, and what is not. I agree with dunedane as far as stopping the oral antibiotic first while continuing the topicals. Two years is a long time to be on an oral antibiotic so if your acne is now under control, that is what would be the logical thing to eliminate first. I was on the exact same medications as you for a similar timeframe, but I chose to take accutane to end my antibiotic use with great success.

As always talk with your doctor first. There is a lot different views on the safety of long-term antibiotics among doctors so keep that in mind as well. Most would agree that keeping clear with topicals is far healthier and safer than long-term oral antibiotic therapy for acne.

DeLovely liked