Notifications
Clear all

1.5 Month Of Accutane And ..getting The Most Unwanted Side Effect

MemberMember
(@kl1001)

Posted : 02/13/2015 1:22 am

(I apologize for my bad English. not my 1st language)

Hello, everyone. I have been on accutane for almost 1.5 months now and it is working(20mg the 1st month, then 40mg ). I have some breakouts on the lower half of my face but it's tolerable. All the side effects I am getting are not bothersome except ONE.

I have dry lips, dry skin, also I developed eczema on the back of my hands....

They are OK. I can deal with them, except one......my facial hair is growing like crazy.

I am a 21 years old female and yes, I have PCOS. I began to be very self-conscious about my body & facial hair since I was in 7th grade. I got mocked a lot because I have excessive hair on my legs and arms...and boys made fun of me because of it.I am Asian and most of the Asian girls have light or none body hair except me...I kinda lived with it because I discovered the little world of hair removal methods..I managed to look 'unhairy' by waxing.

I started to notice my facial hair growth because when I put on eye shadow, I noticed that there is hair on my eyelid..........-.- it has been a while since I did make up and I remember clearly there is no hair on my eyelid before accutane....and one day my boyfriend just looked at me saying that "i think you have a beard". I had hair on my upper lips all the time but now they started to grow. The newly-grown hair are thick and dark and very noticeable....and my boyfriend has no idea what i am going through...(I should tell him my feelings, but I don't know how)

Before accutane I never realized that the hair on my upper lip can grow that long...I have more hair on my chin area and forehead too. I don't know if it's the accutane that is causing my facial hair growth or it is worsening my PCOS and my PCOS is causing it. I read that accutane might increase insulin resistance but I don't think enough studies have been done to provide more support to this conclusion. Neither way it is annoying. I cried at night falling asleep, dreaming of being a hairy monster. I couldn't talk to anyone about it because I am in college and everyone is so busy living their lives...my mom lives overseas. She has her issue too I don't want to give her more stress or let her worry about me.

I am thinking about going off accutane because this side effect is not acceptable. I can deal with liver damage but not being such a hairy Asian girl. This bugs me as much as my acne. I think the hair growth will stop after my treatment but it's gonna stay like that forever. ...

Has anyone suffered the same thing? I hope not but if you did please leave me an comment on your experience so that I am not this desperate. ...

MemberMember
(@richardfultron)

Posted : 02/13/2015 4:55 am

Hi kl1001

A spurt in hair growth is normally associated with a hormonal change or imbalance. As an aside, so is acne. Could have a doctor check out your hormone levels?

Kind regards,

Richard Fultron

MemberMember
(@khevy)

Posted : 09/23/2017 12:06 am

On 2015-02-12 at 11:22 PM, kl1001 said:

Hello, everyone. I have been on accutane for almost 1.5 months now and it is working(20mg the 1st month, then 40mg ). I have some breakouts on the lower half of my face but it's tolerable. All the side effects I am getting are not bothersome except ONE.

They are OK. I can deal with them, except one......my facial hair is growing like crazy.

I am a 21 years old female and yes, I have PCOS. I began to be very self-conscious about my body & facial hair since I was in 7th grade. I got mocked a lot because I have excessive hair on my legs and arms...and boys made fun of me because of it.I am Asian and most of the Asian girls have light or none body hair except me...I kinda lived with it because I discovered the little world of hair removal methods..I managed to look 'unhairy' by waxing.

I started to notice my facial hair growth because when I put on eye shadow, I noticed that there is hair on my eyelid..........-.- it has been a while since I did make up and I remember clearly there is no hair on my eyelid before accutane....and one day my boyfriend just looked at me saying that "i think you have a beard". I had hair on my upper lips all the time but now they started to grow. The newly-grown hair are thick and dark and very noticeable....and my boyfriend has no idea what i am going through...(I should tell him my feelings, but I don't know how)

Before accutane I never realized that the hair on my upper lip can grow that long...I have more hair on my chin area and forehead too. I don't know if it's the accutane that is causing my facial hair growth or it is worsening my PCOS and my PCOS is causing it. I read that accutane might increase insulin resistance but I don't think enough studies have been done to provide more support to this conclusion. Neither way it is annoying. I cried at night falling asleep, dreaming of being a hairy monster. I couldn't talk to anyone about it because I am in college and everyone is so busy living their lives...my mom lives overseas. She has her issue too I don't want to give her more stress or let her worry about me.

I am thinking about going off accutane because this side effect is not acceptable. I can deal with liver damage but not being such a hairy Asian girl. This bugs me as much as my acne. I think the hair growth will stop after my treatment but it's gonna stay like that forever. ...

Has anyone suffered the same thing? I hope not but if you did please leave me an comment on your experience so that I am not this desperate. ...

I just started accutane 2.5 weeks ago and i am getting hair growth as well on face, which is alarming because I'm a girl. Did you continue on accutane and if so did the hair growth go away when you stopped accutane?

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 10/11/2017 12:18 pm

On 2/13/2015 at 6:22 AM, kl1001 said:

It would be a very good idea to come of accutane.
Accutane can mess your hormones up for years and it also causes depression during and for many years post accutane.

It is not worth giving up your health just for acne.