Notifications
Clear all

Oily On Retin A

MemberMember
(@watwatwat)

Posted : 02/11/2015 11:27 pm

hey guys. so before using retin a, my skin was normal. it wasn't dry nor was it oily. but after using it, my skin started overproducing oil and i don't know if it's the retin a or it just so happens that my oil glands are overproducing sebum because of puberty (i'm 17).

did anyone else experience this? if so, what did you do to at least control the oil production? could really use some help. thanks!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/11/2015 11:45 pm

It makes me really oily too...all retinoids do. I can't use them because of this reason.

MemberMember
(@watwatwat)

Posted : 02/12/2015 7:36 am

It makes me really oily too...all retinoids do. I can't use them because of this reason.

did your oiliness go away after stopping using retinoids?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/12/2015 11:26 am

Yes, but it took awhile for my skin to go back to how it was before.

MemberMember
(@firefly18)

Posted : 02/12/2015 1:26 pm

Couple things that helped me

1) I wait 30 minutes after washing my face to apply the retinoid (I use it at night)

2) every other day I moisturize 1 hour after applying the retinoid. This means you have to wash your face an hour and a half before you go to bed and plan it, etc., but it's worth it even every 2 days because it really helps control how oily my skin gets.

3) I also wait 20-30 minutes after washing my face/taking a shower in the morning before applying my moisturizer and makeup. Apparently waiting this long before applying things to your skin helps it adjust better.

4) I've been using Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30 in the mornings, but read the reviews on it before you try it if you do...it's not going to mattify your face...it provides great moisture & spf (really needed when you're using a retinoid) during the day and I feel like over time, it's helping to balance my skin. And I don't feel like it clogs my pores or irritates my very sensitive skin...unlike a ton of other products (and i've tried a TON).

5) face blotters. Just make sure there's no powder or fragrance, etc. on them. Put them in your purse or pocket and you can pat them on your face gently when you're in the bathroom and they won't take off your makeup.

How long have you been using retin A? My skin also got realllly oily when I started using a retinoid (I'm like 7 weeks in), but it's slowly getting normalized to the medication and it's easier to control and doesn't get as oily as it used to. I've heard that what the other person said is true: your skin will adjust and normalize, but it can take a long time. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@watwatwat)

Posted : 02/14/2015 9:41 am

i've been using it for 17 weeks and i'm still breaking out and oily. but i'm in this for the long haul. thanks for the tips! hope retin a works beautifully for us

Couple things that helped me

1) I wait 30 minutes after washing my face to apply the retinoid (I use it at night)

2) every other day I moisturize 1 hour after applying the retinoid. This means you have to wash your face an hour and a half before you go to bed and plan it, etc., but it's worth it even every 2 days because it really helps control how oily my skin gets.

3) I also wait 20-30 minutes after washing my face/taking a shower in the morning before applying my moisturizer and makeup. Apparently waiting this long before applying things to your skin helps it adjust better.

4) I've been using Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer SPF 30 in the mornings, but read the reviews on it before you try it if you do...it's not going to mattify your face...it provides great moisture & spf (really needed when you're using a retinoid) during the day and I feel like over time, it's helping to balance my skin. And I don't feel like it clogs my pores or irritates my very sensitive skin...unlike a ton of other products (and i've tried a TON).

5) face blotters. Just make sure there's no powder or fragrance, etc. on them. Put them in your purse or pocket and you can pat them on your face gently when you're in the bathroom and they won't take off your makeup.

How long have you been using retin A? My skin also got realllly oily when I started using a retinoid (I'm like 7 weeks in), but it's slowly getting normalized to the medication and it's easier to control and doesn't get as oily as it used to. I've heard that what the other person said is true: your skin will adjust and normalize, but it can take a long time. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@firefly18)

Posted : 02/14/2015 7:52 pm

me too! good luck!

MemberMember
(@virtualjeff)

Posted : 02/17/2015 1:16 pm

I'm a week in and I've notice how oily my face is too. Kind of embarrassing, I hope it returns to normal. So waiting 30 minutes helps normalize the skin or helps the product work better? I've never waited 30 minutes. Thanks, just wondering.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:11 pm

I'm a week in and I've notice how oily my face is too. Kind of embarrassing, I hope it returns to normal. So waiting 30 minutes helps normalize the skin or helps the product work better? I've never waited 30 minutes. Thanks, just wondering.

Waiting 30 minutes never got rid of the oilyness for me. I had to stop using retinoids to get rid of the oilyness.

MemberMember
(@firefly18)

Posted : 02/18/2015 12:09 pm

everyone is different. My brother annoyingly had no oiliness on Ziana (a gel that is basically retin-a, but also includes Clindamycin) and cleared up in a month. I, on the other hand, am having a lot more purging and oiliness and it sucks. But I'm going to give it some more time because it seems this medication just works slowly for me (but I really think it is working and so do my friends and family) and my skin is suuuuuuuper sensitive, so i think that with the extreme cold in my area, it's been very irritated lately, which doesn't help.

Anyway, in my own experience, I've noticed that if I moisturize at night (I've been moisturizing almost every night because it's been so cold and dry) and add some wait time between washing and applying the medicine, my skin overall is less irritated and oiliness seems to be decreasing. UGH. I hope this stuff works soon...

p.s. I foundthis guide on retinoids really helpful.