Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Sunburn? Weird Bumps?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 02/10/2015 11:41 am

So,

I don't use makeup or moisturizer or anything on my skin anymore. I don't even wash it, I just leave my face alone which works great. I use vaseline at night though so I don't develop eczema. However, I'm never in the sun. I avoid it like the plague, but today I was out running and didn't think much of the fact that it was a bit sunny until I got home and noticed my face was burning, or at least some parts. After about 10 min, two bumps under the skin developed. I'm not sure they looked like cysts, do cysts hurt in the beginning? I can't remember. These did not hurt if you pressed them, they were just really red. They were bumps under the skin though, so fucking odd. I panicked, I haven't had acne in like 2 months!

I put some ice on it and vaseline, now they seem like they're gone. They looked like cysts! How could this even happen??? I was out for maybe 20 min tops yet developed cystic bumps (they were not that hard though, but still hard), anyone else this sensitive??? I think they're mostly gone now though, it has been two hours.

I do wonder if I will ever be able to be in the sun again. Does anyone know what these are??

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/10/2015 12:58 pm

spf. spf. spf. spf. spf. spf. spf.

MemberMember
(@haveyoutried)

Posted : 02/14/2015 9:27 pm

It's important to use sunscreen especially when you're on accutane because your skin is very sensitive and vulnerable. When I was on accutane my dermatologist told me that it's very important to moisturize your skin daily. The bumps could be a cyst or just a bit of irritation from the sun.

Hope everything clears up for you :)

KWRHL liked
MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 02/19/2015 12:06 pm

It wasn't the sun apparently, I went out again at night at the bumps turned up again regardless of the lack of sun. They are like soft cysts but they only stick around being super red for about an hour then they go away. They come up again whenever I exercise. I asked my doctor and she said as long as they go away and aren't that many she won't prescribe anti-histamines. She did say that they are a histamine response. I find it odd that my cysts last year when I had them went away with my moms anti-histamine pills. There is apparently to connection there according to derm.

Honestly, I went off accutane half way through my course and since going off I haven't had acne but just some tiny bumps randomly appearing here and there on my face and other places. They aren't pimples because if you manage it pick at it enough a little bit of liquid comes out that's all. It has been three weeks and my eczema and various other itchy rashes have not gone away. I have anxiety so it can possibly be related though. Since I'm a bit of a picker they look like acne when picked at enough!! Frustrating haha.

Derm said these are totally separate conditions, one is just sensitive skin and one is acne. I'm not so sure, at least there is no acne anymore (for the moment).

Checking out homeopathy, I know 'water pills' jada jada but honestly it cured my eczema when I was a kid so I'm gonna try it again.

Thanks for everyones input.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/20/2015 3:56 pm

It wasn't the sun apparently, I went out again at night at the bumps turned up again regardless of the lack of sun. They are like soft cysts but they only stick around being super red for about an hour then they go away. They come up again whenever I exercise. I asked my doctor and she said as long as they go away and aren't that many she won't prescribe anti-histamines. She did say that they are a histamine response. I find it odd that my cysts last year when I had them went away with my moms anti-histamine pills. There is apparently to connection there according to derm.

Honestly, I went off accutane half way through my course and since going off I haven't had acne but just some tiny bumps randomly appearing here and there on my face and other places. They aren't pimples because if you manage it pick at it enough a little bit of liquid comes out that's all. It has been three weeks and my eczema and various other itchy rashes have not gone away. I have anxiety so it can possibly be related though. Since I'm a bit of a picker they look like acne when picked at enough!! Frustrating haha.

Derm said these are totally separate conditions, one is just sensitive skin and one is acne. I'm not so sure, at least there is no acne anymore (for the moment).

Checking out homeopathy, I know 'water pills' jada jada but honestly it cured my eczema when I was a kid so I'm gonna try it again.

Hi - was it very cold when you were running? In any case, yes - it sounds like run of the mill hives. Don't pick them, they are not pimples and they do go away on their own for the most part.

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 02/20/2015 5:58 pm

Honestly, I went off accutane half way through my course and since going off I haven't had acne but just some tiny bumps randomly appearing here and there on my face and other places. They aren't pimples because if you manage it pick at it enough a little bit of liquid comes out that's all. It has been three weeks and my eczemaarrow-10x10.png and various other itchy rashes have not gone away. I have anxiety so it can possibly be related though. Since I'm a bit of a picker they look like acne when picked at enough!! Frustrating haha.

Derm said these are totally separate conditions, one is just sensitive skinarrow-10x10.png and one is acne. I'm not so sure, at least there is no acne anymore (for the moment).

Checking out homeopathy, I know 'water pills' jada jada but honestly it cured my eczemaarrow-10x10.png when I was a kid so I'm gonna try it again.

Hi - was it very cold when you were running? In any case, yes - it sounds like run of the mill hives. Don't pick them, they are not pimples and they do go away on their own for the most part.

Yes I guess so it is winter and it can get pretty cold, but I get super hot by the end of the workout, sweaty and everything... and then they show up and always in the same spots... They're smaller now though, or I might not be as observant. They can't be zits as they don't stick around, and they aren't hard or have any pus. Just red soft bumps. Very odd, I also get super tiny eczema spots here and there. Not in a cluster, but like one tiny on side of face and another by my mouth, they too go away in a couple of hours or a day and if I really squeeze them just some liquid comes out and eventually blood. They are not zits either. My skin is obviously super sensitive.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/20/2015 6:04 pm

Yeah - it's just the cold air can blast across your face and cause redness that looks similar to a sunburn. Cold air can be really irritating to sensitive skin. I would say, definitely, they are hives. That's the histamine response your dermatologist is talking about. Hives can be caused by a variety of things, but mainly occur when exposed to something highly irritating or allergenic. Do you have seasonal allergies? Does it occur mainly when you go outside, or every time you exercise, even if it's inside? If they usually occur when you go outside, allergies are probably the culprit. It could also be something your putting in your hair on on your scalp that runs down your face when you start to sweat. It could even be the sweat itself irritating your skin, maybe try wearing a head band?

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 02/21/2015 8:24 am

Thanks megtree, I'll try some of this. I think my allergies can come up inside too, or mostly inside when it is dirty, or like a lot of dust. I'll be sneezing and stuff when I clean.