Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Contradiction?

MemberMember
(@budbudbud)

Posted : 01/28/2015 1:10 am

hey guys,

im reading my accutane leaflet and one of the points says "you must not take accutane capsules if you have very high levels of fat (triglycerides, cholesterol) in your blood"

however alot of people in this forum and derms say to take it with a high fatty meal?

im confused.

MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/28/2015 3:28 am

If you have high levels if fat in your blood, it means your liver isn't functioning properly and therefore will not be able to process the Accutane either since it is not working properly.

The result could be extreme toxicity of Accutane in your bloodstream which will damage other organs.

So they test for that while you take Accutane. They look to make sure your liver is doing what it's supposed to.

As for taking your dose with a fatty meal: it's completely different. You are jusr making sure it's absorbed well before being processed out by that liver.

It's suggested either because it is far-soluble and will spread out in your stomach easily, OR it may be suggested so the medicine will stay in your stomach and intestines longer so they can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

Im not sure why and my dermatologists and pharmacist have never said that to me.