Notifications
Clear all

I'm At My Wit's End With Acne. Should I Try And Go On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 01/17/2015 1:37 pm

I have had acne for about 7 years now and nothing seems to work. I have tried topicals (Epiduo, Retin-A, Ziana, Benzaclin), antibiotics (Mino, Doxy), washes, and I am currently on Spiro which kept me clear but my acne seems to be coming back. Even though my acne is classified as mild-moderate, it is VERY distressing to me. My depression seems to be linked solely to acne/my skin. I'm so tired of feeling self conscious, feeling like I HAVE to put on makeup, and feeling this frustration when nothing seems to work.

One of my good friends is on Accutane and seems to be clearing up nicely. However, I'm afraid to even ask for Accutane because it is a serious drug and my acne is not classified as severe. But it's so distressing to me and I feel like Accutane is the only thing that could permanently keep me clear. Should I try and go on it? I don't even know if a derm would prescribe it to me since they may not think my acne is 'that bad'. But really, in my eyes, it's bad and I just really don't want to think about it anymore.

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 01/17/2015 1:42 pm

Im pretty much in the same boat

I was denied spir by 2 different Dr because my acne was not bad enough

If you have tried everything and spiro is not working, maybe your derm would consider a low dose course of tane

If spiro was working..could u need a dose increase??

It seems tane is being offered more and more often (from what Ive read) to treat mild to moderate acne

My derm said she would rather be on tane for 4-6 mnths than take something like bcp (for acne only) and/or spiro which affects your hormones indefinetly

BUT beware..like you I am very neurotic about my face and dont handle the breakouts well AT ALL

With tane there is a chance u will get worse before better or have more/worse breakouts before (for a period of time)

Just something to prepare yourself for

some also suffer very dry peeling sin and lips (i have not)

gl

kim

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/17/2015 5:54 pm

Can you try increasing your dose of the spiro?