Notifications
Clear all

Oxybutynin / Ditropan

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 01/13/2015 1:48 pm

Hi!

Bit of background : 27 year old female acne sufferer. Mild-moderate. Was severe before a course of accutane 6 years ago. Lurker on this forum for many years.

I have night sweats as a symptom of cfs/m.e and have been prescribed oxybutynin (also called Ditropan). Whenever I am prescribed anything new I always Google "*drug name* acne.org" to check that it doesn't make things worse!

I found that any discussion of oxybutynin on here was as a potential cure! Wow!

So I was wondering whether anyone has taken this medication themselves and noticed a change in acne? Or if there have been any developments in this becoming a licensed acne treatment?

I promise to update this thread with any changes in my skin I notice after starting oxybutynin, first dose is tonight. I am on a low starting dose of 2.5mg for reference.

Hope I posted in the right section!

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 01/19/2015 11:59 am

1 week update

No replies, but I will update this post anyway in case future searchers benefit from it.

I've now been on Oxybutynin for 1 week. It has started to help with my night sweats so I'm happy about that.

I have noticed my skin is slightly less oily than usual. Not sure if this is coincidence or not yet, I will reserve judgement until I have been taking this medication for a while.

I have also noticed that my lips are very dry, it feels like being on accutane

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 02/04/2015 9:57 am

3 Week Update

My skin is really good at the moment. The skin that is clear-ish feels smooth and soft. I have only 1 medium inflamed spot on my chin, 1 small-medium on the crease of my nose and just a few tiny "flat" non-red spots around the space between my eyebrows, chin and around the sides of my face.

It will be interesting how my skin reacts on my next menstrual cycle (I usually flare up badly) but as I take the pill and run packs on it might not be for a whlie.

I still feel it is too early to judge Oxybutynin.

Just for transparency/future use I should mention that I also take the following:

Prescribed

- Marvelon (contraceptive pill - been taking for 3 years)

- Sertraline (for depression, taking for 4 years)

- Surmitriptan (for migraines, on an as-needed basis for 4 years)

- Motillium (for nausea, as needed, 1 year)

Over the counter (frequently used only)

- Certrizine (for chronic urticaria, as needed, 20 years)

- Voltarol (for joint pain, topically as needed, 8 years)

Supplements (3 years)

- Fish oil (1100mg, 700mg EPA+DHA)

- D3 5000iu

- CoQ10 100mg

- Zinc Gluconate 50mg

Current Acne Treatment (I've been on many many presciption+OTC treatments including accutane, this is just what helps at present/past 6 months.)

- Witch hazel, aspirin and rose water mixed together AM and PM

- Freederm spot treatment on inflamed acne AM and PM

- Simple Lightly Hydrating moisturiser AM and PM

- Black soap AM.

- Aspirin masks twice a week

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 04/05/2015 2:46 am

Is anyone following this?

12 Week Update

My skin has not been this clear since I was a child! NO active acne. A few small "bumps" that are not red. Thats it! I still have redness in my skin but I have very sensitive skin anyway.

Every morning I do the usual "what fresh horror faces me today" check in the mirror and every morning I am shocked to see a "normal" face looking back at me. Couldn't be happier. I really really hope it lasts. My skin wasn't this good on accutane. I go out without makeup on!

Side effects...well...dry mouth and lips. Dryness of intimate area. (sorry if TMI, just being honest) My urticaria (itchy skin) has worsened significantly. But this is all well worth it. I don't have cracked, flaky skin like on accutane.

MemberMember
(@kimberlyannemt)

Posted : 07/18/2015 10:43 pm

Hello! A little late but I happened to stumble across this post and I'm VERY interested in the drug! How did you get prescribed it? & how is your skin doing now?? Less oily still? No acne issues? Thanks! Hope you still check this thread!

Also, just would like to add, I'm partcularly curious about the drug because I took several course of Accutane and have since dealt with some existing mild acne, oily skin, and excessive sweating and heat intolerance (it seems this is a rare side effect but it most definitely appears to have been caused by taking Accutane all those years; i did not have heat intolerance and/or sweating issues prior to Accutane..)

MemberMember
(@lisalynn)

Posted : 01/29/2016 8:59 pm

I am a 43y/o life long acne sufferer. Back in Nov 2015 I had surgery on my kidney and ureter. For the one month recovery, I had a stent in place. Stents aggravate the bladder, so i was taking Ditropan and Levsin. During that time, my skin was so good! Even the skin on the rest of my body was improved. I actually needed to use a moisturizer.I wasn't sweating as much and that had been an issue also.I attributed not working (less stress) and/or not wearing makeup. After i had the stent removed and stopped taking the bladder meds, my face erupted. I hadn't gone back to work or started wearing any makeup yet. The only thing I can attribute the improvement to is the meds. I still have some left so I'm going to start taking the Ditropan again.

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 06/10/2016 1:33 am

On 19/07/2015 at 4:43 AM, kimberlyannEMT said:

Hello! A little late but I happened to stumble across this post and I'm VERY interested in the drug! How did you get prescribed it? & how is your skin doing now?? Less oily still? No acne issues? Thanks! Hope you still check this thread!

Also, just would like to add, I'm partcularly curious about the drug because I took several course of Accutane and have since dealt with some existing mild acne, oily skin, and excessive sweating and heat intolerance (it seems this is a rare side effect but it most definitely appears to have been caused by taking Accutane all those years; i did not have heat intolerance and/or sweating issues prior to Accutane..)

Hello!

I'm so sorry I hadn't seen this. I actually found my old post by googling "OXYBUTYNIN acne" haha.
So I took this until November last year when I fell pregnant. Those months taking it were the clearest of my life. I wouldn't say "no acne issues" but I had a significant amount of clear days and any hormonal acne flare ups were greatly reduced in severity.

I got prescribed this by simply asking my NHS GP for it. I told him about the night sweats and also told him my research that OXYBUTYNIN was an appropriate choice. He just agreed to prescribe it on a trial basis. Doubt they'd prescribe just for acne tho xxx