Notifications
Clear all

Break Outs On Accutane

MemberMember
(@zero1977)

Posted : 11/14/2014 2:45 pm

Hi i need some help and advice. My dermatologist has said i need a course of Accutane for my Cystic acne. Im hitting a fewproblems, firstly im on the mini pill which probably causes the acne but i cant use any other birth control as i have really bad side effects. So they wont let me take it will they? Also i only get maybe 2 cysts a month but theyve started to scar, or leave whatever the hell they are, soft raised bumps? Surely if accutane makes you break out more ill end up with a face full? Am really scared. Is there an alternative to Accutane? X

MemberMember
(@john1358)

Posted : 11/14/2014 3:35 pm

Well I go Monday to see the derm about Accutane, however, I did just read the ipledge website info and I remember reading that there were a few birth control pills that they didn't accept for the program and one was the mini pill. I don't know if you take an antibiotic now to help with your acne but if not I would try to get on one while your taking Accutane. I'm sure there will still be an initial breakout with Accutane but I would think it wouldn't be as bad on an antibiotic.

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 11/14/2014 4:00 pm

Not everyone experiences the dreaded initial breakout on Accutane, so there is a chance you don't get it. But I think it is wiser to expect it, and expect it to be bad. That should not be what stops you from taking it tough, since almost every efficient acne treatment will cause an initial breakout.

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/16/2014 1:22 am

Hey! I didn't have many options for birth control because of bad side effects, and I ended up getting the Skyla IUD. Is that an option for you?

MemberMember
(@zero1977)

Posted : 11/16/2014 11:21 am

Ive tried the iud and it mooved and they had serious problems removing it. Very scared to try that again. Did you have bad breakouts on it?

MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/16/2014 8:59 pm

No, I have only had it in for two months and I've been on doxycycline 40 mg/day since then, and my acne's gotten a lot better.

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/16/2014 10:33 pm

Hi i need some help and advice. My dermatologist has said i need a course of Accutane for my Cystic acne. Im hitting a fewproblems, firstly im on the mini pill which probably causes the acne but i cant use any other birth control as i have really bad side effects. So they wont let me take it will they? Also i only get maybe 2 cysts a month but theyve started to scar, or leave whatever the hell they are, soft raised bumps? Surely if accutane makes you break out more ill end up with a face full? Am really scared. Is there an alternative to Accutane? X

Some of the people I know have similar concerns in using Accutane. I haven't tried using it because I always get allergic reaction to this kind of acne treatment. I've been using manuka honey for my acne and it seemed to work great on my skin. Hope to see more improvements soon.

MemberMember
(@brinyoung)

Posted : 11/20/2014 11:53 pm

It may be a bit unethical but can't you simply say that you're taking a certain birth control when you're actually not? As long as the pregnancy test comes back negative your doc will never be the wiser.

zero1977 liked
MemberMember
(@hamdinger)

Posted : 11/24/2014 8:07 pm

I wonder about this as well. They never asked me for any proof of my b.c... The thing is, if you did get pregnant, you would be in big trouble (in a few senses).