Notifications
Clear all

Coming Off Amoxicillin

MemberMember
(@jiandian)

Posted : 10/03/2014 12:51 am

I have only had acne on my cheeks for the past year or so. Anyways, I got my wisdom teeth removed recently and was put on a course of amoxicillin to prevent infection in the extraction sites. I took 500mg 3x a day for 7 days, as directed.

A week or so after I stopped taking it, I started getting very itchy acne-like bumps all over my forehead and my cheeks. It itches more when I get sweaty or its hot outside (or when my hair brushes against it). My eyes have also tended to be red recently, and my skin overall is very dry. My lips started being incredibly dry about a week after I stopped taking the amoxicillin as well.

What can I do? I suspect that most of these inflamed and very itchy acne-like bumps are as a result of folliculitis. Should I get nizoral or just use BP? This is very frustrating.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 10/03/2014 1:03 am

moved to prescription medications forum

MemberMember
(@naturalverdure)

Posted : 10/03/2014 10:07 am

If you have been taking antibiotics, I strongly suggest repopulating your gut with a good quality probiotic. If you gut flora remains unbalanced, it will be very difficult for your immune system to fight off bacteria, viruses or fungi, resulting in breakouts.

MemberMember
(@jiandian)

Posted : 10/04/2014 6:07 pm

I have been taking a probiotic and it does not seem to be helping so far, but I will continue taking it along with a multivitamin for at least a month.