Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne, Nothing Working, Awful Dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/09/2014 9:52 am

Hi, I have taken,in the past: Oxytetracycline, Benzoyl peroxide, Zineryt, Lymecycline, Doxycycline, Adapelene (Differin), Flucloxacillin and m currently using Isotrex gel. This has been over the course of about 2 years and nothing has worked. My acne has actually got worse and worse as time has gone on. To the point where looking at the kind of skin I had when I started treatments in pictures really depresses me, I thought it was bad but can only dream of having skin like that now. Differin really made my skin worse and since taking Isotrex not much has happened but my face is extremely red and the acne is beginning to spread to places I've never had it before. I've also noticed I'm beginning to get back acne, something I've never had before. Also I think all these treatments have ruined my skin completely in terms of complexion and red marks. My forehead is literally a different colour to my cheeks depending on where I used topicals most heavily.

I have a dermatologist on the NHS but they are really useless. They can barely speak english and they have told me things in the past like "Shaving causes acne" (I don't shave where my acne is worst), "Roaccutane causes you to be depressed" (Very wrong thing for a derm to say), "Your face is greasy, *laughs*, why?" (I don't know you tell me). It feels useless going, they always ask me what I want to do and ask me if I want to try some treatment I've never heard of as if I'm the expert. I had a blood test for roaccutane a couple of months ago after I insisted, but when the results came back, they said to me "There is something wrong with your liver, I can give you a smaller dose though and see how it goes." but then she changed her mind. It seems she doesn't know what she's talking about and since I'm do desperate to take accutane I'm not convinced that what she says is true so I feel like changing doctors for a second opinion.

What I want is to change Dermatologists ideally. I cannot afford private, and I am currently with an NHS dermatologist after a long wait so I also don't want to have to wait 5 months again. Is it possible on the NHS to switch quickly and easily to a different doctor in the same hospital? I would really like to take accutane after much thought and my derm is absolutely hopeless.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 08/09/2014 10:18 am

what if i told you , your diet is causing your acne

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/09/2014 10:24 am

what if i told you , your diet is causing your acne

Look, that is utter myth. A response like this is just false, unhelpful and doesn't answer any of my questions. By the way, don't bother linking me to your "One-week clear skin magic diet detox" website either.

MemberMember
(@thebigbernard)

Posted : 08/09/2014 11:06 am

If you're going down the medication route, I feel like Accutane is just about the only thing left to try at this point.

I understand why you'd balk at the suggestion of "dieting". When you have acne, you lose control over so many areas of your life. Not being able to control what you eat probably feels like adding insult to injury, especially with no guarantee of payoff. But, for what it's worth, I still suggest that you, at a minimum, eliminate diary and see how that goes. I was in your shoes. For me, eating better has made a very noticeable difference (I would've definitely qualified for Accutane, and my doctor actually brought it up).

Another thing is to make sure you're not irritating your face. If I scratch my face, I get a cyst, guaranteed. Some people's skins are much more prone to inflammation than others. Make sure your hair is not in your face, change pillowsheets, sleep with a clean T-shirt (for the back acne), dry your hair well after showers (don't let irritating shampoo run into your face, this is especially important for acne along your hairline/ears), never scrub/rub/scratch your face (pat dry with a facial cloth, gently massage cleansers on your face), do not rest your hands on your cheeks (try to sleep on your back). Obviously, you don't have to be superhuman and do everything, but those are just general guidelines and they've helped for me.

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/09/2014 12:08 pm

If you're going down the medication route, I feel like Accutane is just about the only thing left to try at this point.

I understand why you'd balk at the suggestion of "dieting". When you have acne, you lose control over so many areas of your life. Not being able to control what you eat probably feels like adding insult to injury, especially with no guarantee of payoff. But, for what it's worth, I still suggest that you, at a minimum, eliminate diary and see how that goes. I was in your shoes. For me, eating better has made a very noticeable difference (I would've definitely qualified for Accutane, and my doctor actually brought it up).

Another thing is to make sure you're not irritating your face. If I scratch my face, I get a cyst, guaranteed. Some people's skins are much more prone to inflammation than others. Make sure your hair is not in your face, change pillowsheets, sleep with a clean T-shirt (for the back acne), dry your hair well after showers (don't let irritating shampoo run into your face, this is especially important for acne along your hairline/ears), never scrub/rub/scratch your face (pat dry with a facial cloth, gently massage cleansers on your face), do not rest your hands on your cheeks (try to sleep on your back). Obviously, you don't have to be superhuman and do everything, but those are just general guidelines and they've helped for me.

Actually I wasn't annoyed at the suggestion because I'm unwilling to try it; more because there is no evidence* and this really is unlikely to be a root cause of my skin problems. In fact, my diet is great. With regards to dairy, I accept that this may have some impact and my diet was never very dairy-rich but I decided to cut dairy out two to three weeks ago. However to no avail, currently.

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/09/2014 2:45 pm

But, anyway, does anybody have actual answers to my questions?

MemberMember
(@bobbyfisher23)

Posted : 08/10/2014 2:49 am

You would probably have to simply call and find out if you can switch doctors. I know the frustration that can happen with dermatologists. One time my dermatologist tried prescribing me 10% BP. Yeah, that would have murdered my skin, and you can buy it over the counter, so what is the damn point of me going to the doctor if THAT is what I'm gonna get? I knew this for a fact, and I didn't go to school for 10 years to be a derm. I'm with you on the diet thing. It's all BS and a waste of time to try and change your diet.

For what it's worth, I can tell you what has been working for me...

Morning: Wash with Cerave hydrating cleaner, apply Clyndamycin Gel all over.

Night: Wash with Cerave Hydrating cleanser, apply Atralin gel (.05% tretinoin)

I also take minocycline, but you said Doxycycline didn't work for you, and I think they are similar.

This regimen has done wonders, I believe specifically because of the Atralin Gel. It doesn't dry out my skin at all, yet it delivers a pretty potent concentration of tretinoin. I don't even need a moisturizer. It's like the perfect formulation of tretinoin. Ask your doctor about it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best topical I have ever used, and will never go off of it. EVER.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/10/2014 7:20 am

and here is what worked for me....I live in the US, tried everything (so I thought) and ended up on Accutane- for me it was a nightmare, 7 months of hell and an initial breakout that never ended....so after 3 Derms consulting I got pulled off

and as you know, they just put their hands up when the wonder drug doesn't work

so I journaled everything I did and everything I ate (I had to right? I had nothing left to try). Took me several months but for ME (not saying for YOU, we are all different) wheat and dairy were the big triggers, and the first two I elimiated. I read enough on this site to say, why not try to eliminate those? It's FREE and you don't need an appointment.

So years later my diet is the same, and I do not cheat ever- or I get rewarded with a nasty cyst. No wheat, no dairy- clean whole foods, very little processed foods- not a lot of sugar, but some, I just can't give that up! And I also use topicals, tazorac and either mandelic or glycolic acid.

That's my story- may not work for you, but what do you have to lose to try it for a few months?

Good luck to you, it takes work, but keep searching for your triggers.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/10/2014 8:49 am

Hi, I have taken,in the past: Oxytetracycline, Benzoyl peroxide, Zineryt, Lymecycline, Doxycycline, Adapelene (Differin), Flucloxacillin and m currently using Isotrex gel. This has been over the course of about 2 years and nothing has worked. My acne has actually got worse and worse as time has gone on. To the point where looking at the kind of skin I had when I started treatments in pictures really depresses me, I thought it was bad but can only dream of having skin like that now. Differin really made my skin worse and since taking Isotrex not much has happened but my face is extremely red and the acne is beginning to spread to places I've never had it before. I've also noticed I'm beginning to get back acne, something I've never had before. Also I think all these treatments have ruined my skin completely in terms of complexion and red marks. My forehead is literally a different colour to my cheeks depending on where I used topicals most heavily.

That sounds like pure hell and I'm so sorry.

The one thing that stood out for me that your said is you tried all of these things over the course of 2 years. It might take 2 months for one thing to work, it takes a single acne breakout 3-6 weeks to improve as the skin cycle is 28 days long, and (I hate this) but things can get worse before they get better, and you named 8 different drugs (!!!)

Sometimes the dose of antibiotics is too low and only treats inflammation, and doesn't kill the acne bacteria. Switching to a private dermatologist might not even change what they try- but they might be more responsible about letting your skin reboot from each treatment before you try something else- and they might suggest therapies like laser and medical peels.

And the constant stress of applying new rx creams and switching powerful drugs can indeed make things a lot worse. It's reckless of doctors to do this, and I don't understand why they do -- I suppose because they can. Needless to say, those topicals are shredding your face, and staying away from BPO is intelligent. Why is your face greasy? Stress and rebound oil.

It's similarly frustrating and costly to try one supplement at a time and looking for fast changes, or trying to be your own hormone therapist/nutritionist.

That said, js95, if you are a female, many of us have been successful with Spiranolactone. If you are male, you can try and request Spiranolactone cream.

I'd second eliminating milk, beef and chicken, processed sugar and coffee, from your diet and exploring anti-inflammatory diet suggestions. If you're taking whey protein bars or shakes for any reason, STOP. If you are on other medications, research if those are acnegenic. Cutting things out is cheaper than adding more, but if you only add a few things, they should be Omega 3 & 6 supplements, B complex, A, C, D3, E and fish oil or grapeseed, Magnesium and Zinc.

In terms of what you can afford, can you afford to suffer with severe acne much longer? Your skin is an investment. It affects your psychological well being, which effects every part of your life. I suggest a consultation with an MD at a esthetic medical spa. Most offer payment plans. Do whatever you can to be able to budget in whatever treatment they suggest. It's not a vanity splurge. It's your health, and health costs money.

If your only option are these dermatologists, Tazorac cream (I hate the gel) helped me immensely. It's more a more concentrated retinoid than Isotrex. If you can get on it, be prepared to flake and slough like crazy and look like a zombie til your skin gets used to it. Hydrate the slough with Hyaluronic Acid and don't try to rub and scrub your face off. Take one of the cyclines and stick it out for at least two months- you'll find your body acne disappearing once your skin is done purging. It's a process and you have to trust it. The more frustrated you are, the more stressed, the more stressed, the more reactive your skin will be.

Sulfur soap topically is the best thing I've found for oily skin, with Proactive Deep for stronger exfoliation.

And yes, many find success with Accutane, but some don't. Expecting instant results running through medications at that speed is folly.

Most importantly, do what you can to eliminate stress, via good eating, gentle exercise, deep breathing, and being kind to yourself in your head.

Be well!

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/10/2014 10:55 am

That sounds like pure hell and I'm so sorry.

The one thing that stood out for me that your said is you tried all of these things over the course of 2 years. It might take 2 months for one thing to work, it takes a single acne breakout 3-6 weeks to improve as the skin cycle is 28 days long, and (I hate this) but things can get worse before they get better, and you named 8 different drugs (!!!)

Sometimes the dose of antibiotics is too low and only treats inflammation, and doesn't kill the acne bacteria. Switching to a private dermatologist might not even change what they try- but they might be more responsible about letting your skin reboot from each treatment before you try something else- and they might suggest therapies like laser and medical peels.

And the constant stress of applying new rx creams and switching powerful drugs can indeed make things a lot worse. It's reckless of doctors to do this, and I don't understand why they do -- I suppose because they can. Needless to say, those topicals are shredding your face, and staying away from BPO is intelligent. Why is your face greasy? Stress and rebound oil.

It's similarly frustrating and costly to try one supplement at a time and looking for fast changes, or trying to be your own hormone therapist/nutritionist.

That said, js95, if you are a female, many of us have been successful with Spiranolactone. If you are male, you can try and request Spiranolactone cream.

I'd second eliminating milk, beef and chicken, processed sugar and coffee, from your diet and exploring anti-inflammatory diet suggestions. If you're taking whey protein bars or shakes for any reason, STOP. If you are on other medications, research if those are acnegenic. Cutting things out is cheaper than adding more, but if you only add a few things, they should be Omega 3 & 6 supplements, B complex, A, C, D3, E and fish oil or grapeseed, Magnesium and Zinc.

In terms of what you can afford, can you afford to suffer with severe acne much longer? Your skin is an investment. It affects your psychological well being, which effects every part of your life. I suggest a consultation with an MD at a esthetic medical spa. Most offer payment plans. Do whatever you can to be able to budget in whatever treatment they suggest. It's not a vanity splurge. It's your health, and health costs money.

If your only option are these dermatologists, Tazorac cream (I hate the gel) helped me immensely. It's more a more concentrated retinoid than Isotrex. If you can get on it, be prepared to flake and slough like crazy and look like a zombie til your skin gets used to it. Hydrate the slough with Hyaluronic Acid and don't try to rub and scrub your face off. Take one of the cyclines and stick it out for at least two months- you'll find your body acne disappearing once your skin is done purging. It's a process and you have to trust it. The more frustrated you are, the more stressed, the more stressed, the more reactive your skin will be.

Sulfur soap topically is the best thing I've found for oily skin, with Proactive Deep for stronger exfoliation.

And yes, many find success with Accutane, but some don't. Expecting instant results running through medications at that speed is folly.

Most importantly, do what you can to eliminate stress, via good eating, gentle exercise, deep breathing, and being kind to yourself in your head.

Be well!

Hi thanks for the reply. I haven't chopped and changed medications as quickly as you have have thought. Actually, every time I have had a topical in parallel with one of the antibiotics/ tablets listed, so actually I have tried each set for at least 6 months without improvement which is more than enough time! I really am being patient in waiting for results, I'm not looking for instant results and I understand it takes time. With regards to diet, I don't eat dairy other than milk in my tea however I do take whey protein shakes. I am extremely phyically active and whey protein, beef and chicken are pretty fundamental to my diet. With regards to processed sugars and dairy, do you mean absolutely cut it all from my diet and never, even on occasion, have say a soft drink or cheese? I will keep trying Isotrex as I've only been using it for 2 months and I feel like sometimes maybe it is doing some good. With regards to washing my face, I use Cetaphil gentle cleanser morning and night, I find this to be least over-drying and most gentle on my skin.

Finally, I was also prescribed Clindamycin along with Isotrex, to put on my face in the morning. However, my face is so incredibly oily as it is, I really cannot bear to weara topical throughout the day as it runs and makes my skin look even oilier than it is, if that is possible. Do you think that I should make an effort to use the Clindamycin much more than I currently am in conjunction with Isotrex? Will it help a lot? Also, although I am taking no oral medication currently, my skin was more calm for the period in which I took lymecycline, would it be worth asking my dermatologist for this again? However it is an antibiotic that I was on for a long time, maybe 6-7 months? So I'm not sure I can use it again.

Thanks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2014 11:30 am

guys, screw elimation diet, get the MRT test itll save you all the time you need, it gave me my life back, itll tell you all the foods your sensitive to