Notifications
Clear all

Tazorac Vs Everything

MemberMember
(@somehelp123)

Posted : 07/11/2014 6:05 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been using tazorac for 8 months now. Ive used it in conjunction with aczone, acanya, and dans bp in the am. So nothing works for too long, I'll get results for a bit but then get cystic again...

I went back to my derm today and she told me she wants me to stick with taz and aczone along with starting me back up on solodyn again. My question is...if I've already been on this regimen for awhile, will going back on even work? this doesn't make sense to me...

has anyone on here went from using accutane, taz, aczone. etc...to using the acne.org regimen and have good results?

Im so desperate right now... :/

just background info, i'm a male in my 20s who is in med school...stress is a big factor in my life...and it's obviously killing my skin...

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/11/2014 8:00 pm

YES. I have been on Accutane, twice. I was on the highest dose possible for my weight. It worked while I was on it and for three months after, but then the acne came right back.

In my 8 years of having acne, the absolute only thing that has worked long term for me is 2.5% BP twice a day, tazorac and a low strength glycolic acid (I switch between this and taz every night). My acne was very severe, and it took me about 2 and a half month to completely clear. I was about to quit at the month mark thinking it wasn't working, but I kept to it since I had tried literally everything else and it eventually worked. When you have more severe acne, it can take a while for the BP to really take control of the bacteria..similar to antibiotics. The tazorac is an added bonus with helping the hyperkeratinization.

MemberMember
(@somehelp123)

Posted : 07/11/2014 11:36 pm

YES. I have been on Accutane, twice. I was on the highest dose possible for my weight. It worked while I was on it and for three months after, but then the acne came right back.

In my 8 years of having acne, the absolute only thing that has worked long term for me is 2.5% BP twice a day, tazorac and a low strength glycolic acid (I switch between this and taz every night). My acne was very severe, and it took me about 2 and a half month to completely clear. I was about to quit at the month mark thinking it wasn't working, but I kept to it since I had tried literally everything else and it eventually worked. When you have more severe acne, it can take a while for the BP to really take control of the bacteria..similar to antibiotics. The tazorac is an added bonus with helping the hyperkeratinization.

Thank you so much for replying back 🙂

may I ask, how did you use bp and tazorac together? Don't they cancel each other out when using at the same time?

Also, what did you use for glycolic acid? dans AHA+?

would you recommend sticking with the BP and taz? or giving the regimen itself a chance before tweaking it

Thank you 🙂

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/12/2014 3:45 am

I apply the BP morning and night, but I leave the BP on at night for about an hour before gently cleansing it off. This prevent any interaction between the two products. I moisturize my skin afterwards and then wait about 30 minutes before applying tazorac. As for the glycolic, I use proactivs toner. It's a really low strength of only 6% and I honestly only started using it because I got it for free, but it does help my skin a lot. It contains glycerin which really helps to bind moisture to the skin making it look plump, even and brighter. Unfortunately, I'm left with some atrophic scarring and the toner definitely helps to make it smoother.

Since Tazorac is more potent than Dans AHA (which is a great product, don't get me wrong) I would suggest sticking with those two. The most important thing is to start using the 2.5% BP twice a day. You can probably eventually wean to once a day, but you really need to tackle the existing bacteria first and get control of that. When I was using high strengths of bp once a day, it did nothing for my acne.