Notifications
Clear all

Will Accutane Hinder Athletic Performance?

MemberMember
(@simon12345)

Posted : 06/16/2014 5:01 am

I am very into high intensity physical activity such as Basketball, weight lifting, and heavy plyometrics, and i was wondering if being on Accutane will reduce my performance in any way. Thanks

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 06/16/2014 8:31 am

Yes,it will probably reduce your athletic performance.

It's highly recommended to not do intense athletic activities while you are on accutane,since it can increase the risk of worse/permanent side effects in the musculoskeletal system (osteoporosis,arthritis,bone edemas,lumbago,calcification) because accutane also dries up your natural body lubrication,known as hyaluronic acid usually causing more discomfort and pain in your whole body after or while an intense activity .

In my case,my derm told me to stay inactive trough my whole course (no weights/high impact stuff),but to keep my spine in movement/lubricated (i have to do an special exercises and stretching routine everyday).

Anyways i know guys that take it (and higher doses than i do) and are bodybuilders,and they training remain the same without any problem.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/16/2014 8:40 am

It didnt for me- thats because i made sure to drink a shit ton* of water. Throughout the day- (obviously dont chug water before you start or you gonna puke)

I ran XC/Track everyday with an average or 8+ miles per day. and also biked for 30 miles prob a couple times a week.

So heres a bit of a check list

- Drink water

-Eat your veggies (I make veggy smoothies in the morning- if you want to know more about that just ask meee)

-But overall eat a well rounded diet

- Also because your lips will be super dry- eatting salty foods will make your lips sore and sometimes bleed. Like i remember it was hard for me to eat pretzils because the salt would just rip my lips off.

-Lastly keep all this in mind, but dont let you taking this med stay in your mind while working out- it helped me get through it.

-Good luck

-E

crumb liked
MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/16/2014 11:11 am

It did for me. I worked in an ice cream store when I was taking accutane and my joints would become so stiff that sometimes I could not scoop with my dominant hand. Also, when I would bend over sometimes it would take a little bit of time for me to be able to stand back up into an upright position.