Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Side Effects

MemberMember
(@wesc)

Posted : 04/12/2014 5:58 am

Hi all, I'm currently half way through my 4th month of Accutane, and all has been going well so far! Acne is mostly cleared up, and the only side-effects I've experienced up until the start of this week were chapped lips and nose-bleeds. However, I have suffered two side-effects recently which have not gone away:

Two weeks ago I developed a strain in my neck, if I turn it say 90 degrees it is very painful, and I cannot turn it any further than that. The problem has persisted and shows no signs of going away.

Earlier this week on Monday, while I was brushing my teeth suddenly blood started emanating from my mouth. I noticed that even if I slightly brush my gums, they instantly start bleeding. They aren't painful, but bleed very easily. I have also noticed my front teeth are not quite as firmly in place as they previously were, which is worrying.

So, I am posting this to ask if anyone has any experience with this or could offer me suggestions? Should I went until I finish the course of Accutane and hope the neck problem goes away? Should I call a dentist or my dermatologist to ask for guidance on gums, assuming it's accutane that's causing them to bleed?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@wesc)

Posted : 04/19/2014 9:19 am

Well I've sorted out the gum problem, thanks to using a sensitive toothbrush/toothpaste and special mouthwash. However the neck pain persists. I've come to the conclusion that it might also be attributed to the fact that I sleep on stomach with my head faced sideways, perhaps putting strain on my neck without me noticing?

I'm not really sure what to do with this problem as my neck has been sore a month now. I think I'll wait until I finish my accutane course in 2 months and hope it goes away!

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 04/19/2014 9:30 am

The gum bleeding is common side effect, glad to hear you got it under control. Muscle pain is also common, and it could be that the way you are sleeping is causing more strain than normal due to the Accutane. It's a bit concerning though, if it is that persistent. You should probably contact the doctor to ensure everything is okay.

I am also on Accutane and keep a log on here. There is another person who started a log around the same time that I chat with, and she had such severe back pain that she had to lower her daily dose. Her results have continued to be great, and the pain is much less.

If your pain becomes more of an issue, this may be an option. You can still take the same cumulative dose, it just takes longer.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 04/19/2014 11:52 pm

Yes if it becomes any worse please call your derm and lower dose or stop! It states in the ex information it can cause bone spurs and something else that has to do with neck!