Notifications
Clear all

Questions Regardings Travelling While On Accutane And Birth Control Methods

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 02/17/2014 12:55 pm

Hey,

I was wondering since taking Accutane requires monthly blood tests and regular check-ups with a derm, what happens if you decide to travel for a long period of time (like for +1 or 2 months), how does that work out, would I have to wait til I come back from travelling before they prescribe it to me?

Also, why do most people take the birth control pill, while there are other methods like the contraceptive patch for example (which was listed in my Accutane pamphlet)...I guess the pill is just more easy and convenient?

Do you think my doctor would let me omit taking birth control even though I tell her that I don't have a boyfriend, I'm not sexually active and I very very highly doubt that I will be in the next year.

The reason why I'm reticent about it is that I'm afraid of the pill's side effects and on top of that, the combinative effect with the Accutane, because I heard the acne gets worse before it gets better.Can it get worse because of the birth control?

Thanks a lot

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/17/2014 2:06 pm

The patch is no different from taking the pill - same hormones, just a different delivery system. Most people that I know who have tried it hated it, which is probably why you don't see a lot of posts about it. Why the hell would anybody rather wear a patch all the time than take a pill?

Most derms will not prescribe accutane unless you are on a form of contraception. I have read on this board that some people have told their derms they are not sexually active and are not required to do this, but I think this is rare.

Same goes with the vacation - most derms will not prescribe if you cannot do your bloodwork, but there are always exceptions to every rule.

All the questions you have asked need to be answered by your individual derm.

It is my opinion that not taking contraceptives during a course and/or not doing your bloodwork is not a very smart idea at all, even if a doctor agrees to it.

There is no way to know if you will have an 'initial breakout' (gets worse before it gets better). I have been on Accutane twice with the same birth control - one time I had no IB, and the other time I had an awful one. There is no reason to believe this would be made worse from the pill.

It seems very odd to me that you would fear the pill more than the Accutane, as the latter is way more risky. And since virtually every female who takes Accutane uses the pill, there is no reason to assume that the pill would produce some sort of 'combinative effect'.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 02/17/2014 5:54 pm

Don't take the pill. Left me with worst acne and then Accutane won't be able to do its job. You don't HAVE to take the pill. Just don't get pregnant. They aren't going to know somehow that you aren't unless your pregnancy test came back positive. I would fear the pill as it shifted my hormones in a permanent bad direction and they can screw you up (thus making acne worse, and a lot of the synthetic hormones can make them worse).

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/17/2014 7:05 pm

If you are concerned about the pill and you are ABSOLUTELY sure you will not be having sex during your treatment, you could do what the above poster suggested and simply not take the pill when you say you are. Just remember, if you get pregnant while on accutane, you will have a much worse situation to deal with then an initial break - so be careful!

When it comes to travel, I know for a fact that you have to follow the Ipledge rules in America with absolutely no exceptions, If the canadian system is similar, I wouldnt risk it, or I would at least try to organize your travel plans around your prescriptions as best as possible.

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 02/18/2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Don't get me wrong,I'm afraid to take Accutane,too. it's just taking that with birth control pill .

glad to know there's no way for the Dr to know i'm not taking the pill.