Notifications
Clear all

Can You Go On Accutane After 1 Treatment Of Fraxel Restore?

MemberMember
(@damnarianagrande)

Posted : 02/11/2014 6:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I got my first Fraxel Restore laser treatment for my acne scars on January 11th.

Unfortunately, it did nothing for my acne scars.

I have been debating on whether to go on Accutane or not, because I do have active acne all over my back, chest, and a couple of pimples here and there on my face.

it isn't really the acne that bothers me... it's the acne scars.

But the way I see it, I have no idea what to do right now.

Should I continue with fraxel laser treatments? should I try a different laser? Fraxel repair maybe?

Also, if I were to go on Accutane, am I even allowed to?

I heard you can't get laser 6 months before or after Accutane.

Is that true?

What should I do?

Please help....

MemberMember
(@damnarianagrande)

Posted : 02/11/2014 7:16 pm

Anyone? Bump

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/11/2014 7:45 pm

It takes about 4 to 6 treatments to see results.

Is your acne actually under control? If not, you should go on Accutane first if that can control your acne, then fix your scars.

Yes, the 6 months part is true. Sometimes, it's a little longer than that, depending on the dose and other circumstances.

MemberMember
(@damnarianagrande)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:32 pm

I know, but I'm saying since I already GOT fraxel, do I have to wait 6 months before getting on accutane?

Or can I jump right into Accutane right now?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/11/2014 8:54 pm

Most derms would err on the side of caution and tell you to wait ~6 months anyway before going on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@damnarianagrande)

Posted : 02/12/2014 7:29 pm

So I can't go on Accutane right now? I have to wait 6 months?

Should I just forget about Accutane and keep going for my scar treatments?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/12/2014 7:59 pm

Sorry about the vague answers before. I don't know how bad your back acne is or whether you've been on Accutane before.

Hold off Accutane for now and continue with Fraxel. You probably won't be able to diminish your back acne as much as you'd like to during your Fraxel treatments and ~6 months after, because lots of treatments make your skin more sensitive to the sun.

You can ask your derm if he or she can prescribe you topical antibiotics and/or retinoid treatment, or maybe Isolaz for your back. You might not be able to get oral antibiotics at this time.