Notifications
Clear all

Not Sure If I Should Take Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@overthis)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:58 pm

I've been seeing a new doctor for acne. To start with she prescribed a steroid pack for six days along with aczone. This is in conjunction with acne treatments on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. We're starting laser treatments in two weeks. Well, she just prescribed spironolactone. I just had all of my labs done and my hormones are all normal, nothing is abnormally high. She says I should still take the spironolactone because it'll help with my few cysts whether my hormones are out of whack or not. I'm hesitant to take it (I'm hesitant about most meds) since I don't actually have a hormone problem. Not to mention, I've always had problems with hormones, even birth control. Most commonly complete loss of sex drive. Have any of you taken it? What would you do in my position?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:31 pm

I took it for 125 mg 6 months (started at 50 the first month and went up from there). That drug takes forever to work, and for some people it's a miracle (for me, the results were less than stellar, but it certainly helped the acne around my jaw and chin). I experienced no side effects except having to pee more than often and being thirstier more than usual. I am on birth control, so I didn't experience any hormonal problems. I didn't notice any effect on my sex drive, either mentally or physically.