Notifications
Clear all

Questions Regarding Spiro And Differin

MemberMember
(@alibabycoppenger)

Posted : 01/06/2014 12:23 am

A month ago, I went to a new derm because I felt my old one was being too lax with me since he had seen me since 8th grade. I am now a freshman in college. The new derm placed me on spironolactone 50mg twice daily and prescribed me differin .3 gel. Now, I've been on both of these medications at some point in my acne trials, but all before my previous two rounds of accutane, except it was differin .1 gel. Before accutane I had dry skin and my skin hasn't been the same since. I have to immediately moisturize after washing or my face is like the Sahara desert. I didn't start taking the differin gel yet, just the spiro because I knew how bad my initial break out was and didn't want the chemical looking burns on top of that. I feel like the spiro is controlling my hormonal acne to a degree. I didn't have a massive explosion like previous months. However, I'm terrified the differin is going to be too much for my dry skin to take, and the spiro seems to be drying me out as well. Any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@katgenot)

Posted : 01/08/2014 9:26 am

I've been using the CereVe PM and AM moisturizer. It is amazing. I use that along with the hydrating cleanser from CereVe.

I'm currently using Aczone in the AM and Differin .3 gel in the PM along with taking doxycycline daily. I'm getting flaky, dry skin all over my face but this stuff has improved my skin in a matter of days. The AM moisturizer also has sunscreen in it for protection. It burns my face (very briefly) when I first apply it, but I feel so much better after using it. I apply makeup about ten minutes after application and it goes on smoothly with no flakes.

Good luck! :)

Kat

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:13 am

Hi! I am also on Spiro and Differin. My insurance didn't cover the .3% gel, so I got the .1% gel, though.

When you start the Differin, to avoid any IB, use it every 2 days, then every other day a week or so later, and then start using it every night 2 weeks later. My derm told me to do it this way, and the internet forums confirmed, so that's what I did and I never got an IB. I think it's helping to reduce my red marks and make my skin softer overall.

The Spiro is going to take a few months to show real results. I've been on anti-androgens for 6 months now and my skin is clear. I was seeing good results at 3 months, though. :D I haven't had a bad cyst in 4 months. It's awesome. Keep with both medications!