Notifications
Clear all

Can Gp's Prescribe Spironolactone Uk ?

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 12/17/2013 12:54 pm

Hi everyone

Im on accutane for a 2nd time round relapsed first time after about 9 mths. I have hormonal acne definetely linked to periods and ovulation i want to try spiro is this something that a GP in the UK can prescribe ?

Not had any real side effect from accutane but dont want to keep having to go back on as the list of donts is too long for my liking smile.png

Emma

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/17/2013 1:26 pm

Hi everyone

Im on accutane for a 2nd time round relapsed first time after about 9 mths. I have hormonal acne definetely linked to periods and ovulation i want to try spiro is this something that a GP in the UK can prescribe ?

Not had any real side effect from accutane but dont want to keep having to go back on as the list of donts is too long for my liking smile.png

Emma

They can prescribe it, but most won't. If you already know someone in the UK on it, I would ask who their doc is.

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 12/17/2013 1:29 pm

Do dermatologists prescribe it ? When i asked my dermatologist about it she was very dismissive .

I dont know anyone on spironolactone , so hard to get referred and then the wait for dermatology where i live is a bad joke

Hi everyone

Emma

They can prescribe it, but most won't. If you already know someone in the UK on it, I would ask who their doc is.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/17/2013 1:41 pm

Do dermatologists prescribe it ? When i asked my dermatologist about it she was very dismissive .

I dont know anyone on spironolactone , so hard to get referred and then the wait for dermatology where i live is a bad joke

Hi everyone

Emma

Any doctor in the UK can prescribe it, the question is will they. I don't know why but your country is very textbook about its medical treatments, and since spiro is an "off-label" treatment for acne they just won't do it. They'll put you on five courses of Accutane and disintegrate your liver before they'll prescribe spiro.

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 12/17/2013 2:26 pm

I tried to get my daughter's doctor to prescribe it for her acne, and they wouldn't either, stating it was for extra hair growth and not for acne. Fortunately, the birth control pill, along with the sulfur medicine she wears at night, was enough to help her hormonal acne. The birth control she uses is Sprintec.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 12/17/2013 2:46 pm

From my understanding UK has huge issues getting spironolactone. Which is a huge bummer. It is a wonder drug for me for my hormonal acne. Takes care of it completely.

If I were you I would collect some studies published either online or in books. Bring them with you to your OBGYN ( I think I've heard you do not have OBGYN in the UK) if that's true, make an appointment with the same person you get your womanly yearly physical from and or who prescribes you your birth control. If you have any blood test that have been done that prove your acne is hormonal bring proof of that as well, this might help you cause. If your doctor won't prescribe that, try and see an endocronigist, these doctors specialize in hormonal inbalances. They are much more likely to prescribe the medication.

My dermatologist wouldn't hear anything about prescribing me spiro. She's not big into acne being caused by hormones. So I get mine from my obgyn. Unfortunatly UK medical systems is by the books, America it's not so much like that.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@emma2)

Posted : 01/06/2014 7:24 am

Unfortunately living in the UK its not that simple if only it was we have gp's and for anything else you are referred dermatology is a 5mth waiting time . There are no annual womens physicals and the dr's dont care less im still on roaccutane giving it one last push . My hormonal blood tests all normal but mine is always during ovulation and week before period . A previous derm said all acne is hormonal but i just dont seem to get very far with them .

Will discuss spiro on next visit but the dermatology dept is so over booked it takes months on end welcome to the UK !

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 01/06/2014 8:11 am

I can't help but i wonder why spiro isn't officially recommended for acne. It is a saviour for thousands of women and it doesn't, generally, have life threatening side effects such as blood clots - which is why many of us can't take b.c. pills.