Notifications
Clear all

Is Accutane Basically The Only Way?

MemberMember
(@vrses)

Posted : 12/06/2013 2:35 am

Is accutane the only way that works? It seems like is really is a 'cure'...

I'm an 18 year old male from Melbourne, Australia who has suffered from acne for 4-5 years. This is pretty normal, I thought, since teenagers go through it. However, I can't stand my acne. It's just... far too frustrating, and it is clearly having an impact on me (as its a pain, aware of it, low self-esteem) and other people too (superficially, I mean). So I want to get rid of it. I thought I would just ride it out until I get older but...

My father suffered from very bad acne (so bad he wasn't allowed into the army due to his acne - he had to take heavy treatments, etc. to finally be accepted). Whilst my acne is nowhere near as bad as my fathers was, my father still gets acne even now (he's 48) and I'm quite worried -- will I have it forever?

I've tried everything that's recommended - different treatments (benzoyl peroxide, etc.) and different diets (no dairy, etc. - although I'm aware that the idea that diet has an effect on your acne is a matter of dispute), etc. I sleep relatively well, am fit, and get exercise everyday. I weigh 60 kgs and am 5ft11in (if that helps).

It seems Accutane is the only option here at this point. Sure, I could just not take it and wait years for something which might never go away completely, but I'm pretty set on taking the drug. Is this the only way to go?

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/06/2013 9:06 am

I'm an 18 year old male from Melbourne, Australia who has suffered from acne for 4-5 years. This is pretty normal, I thought, since teenagers go through it. However, I can't stand my acne. It's just... far too frustrating, and it is clearly having an impact on me (as its a pain, aware of it, low self-esteem) and other people too (superficially, I mean). So I want to get rid of it. I thought I would just ride it out until I get older but...

My father suffered from very bad acne (so bad he wasn't allowed into the army due to his acne - he had to take heavy treatments, etc. to finally be accepted). Whilst my acne is nowhere near as bad as my fathers was, my father still gets acne even now (he's 48) and I'm quite worried -- will I have it forever?

I've tried everything that's recommended - different treatments (benzoyl peroxide, etc.) and different diets (no dairy, etc. - although I'm aware that the idea that diet has an effect on your acne is a matter of dispute), etc. I sleep relatively well, am fit, and get exercise everyday. I weigh 60 kgs and am 5ft11in (if that helps).

It seems Accutane is the only option here at this point. Sure, I could just not take it and wait years for something which might never go away completely, but I'm pretty set on taking the drug. Is this the only way to go?

I feel I am in the same boat as you. I've tried everything, including perfect diet, in which there is no such thing. I can't do the diet any longer I've been on it for many years and it's caused my body to weaken so it almost seems worse than Accutane. Sure I'm not keen on taking Accutane but I don't know what else to do. Have you considered very low dose therapy? That is what I'm considering. I had a friend in Korea that did that as the docs there will only prescribe up to 20 mg ish.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 12/06/2013 9:36 am

in my opinion accutane is a short term fix, you hear loads of stories of people being clear for a few years then it coming back.. acne IS caused by internal issues, it's just a case of finding out through trial and error which issue is causing your acne! accutance is also very taxing on the liver

MemberMember
(@vrses)

Posted : 12/06/2013 6:59 pm

I feel I am in the same boat as you. I've tried everything, including perfect diet, in which there is no such thing. I can't do the diet any longer I've been on it for many years and it's caused my body to weaken so it almost seems worse than Accutane. Sure I'm not keen on taking Accutane but I don't know what else to do. Have you considered very low dose therapy? That is what I'm considering. I had a friend in Korea that did that as the docs there will only prescribe up to 20 mg ish.

I'm not sure if low dose therapy would work but I'm open to it, I guess. I'm just in this mindset now of it needs to be gone and low-dosage therapy might not work. Considering it though!

in my opinion accutane is a short term fix, you hear loads of stories of people being clear for a few years then it coming back.. acne IS caused by internal issues, it's just a case of finding out through trial and error which issue is causing your acne! accutance is also very taxing on the liver

Yeah... but I read somewhere (hope I'm remembering this right) that 85% of people are cured? And the other 15% need to have a second round. I think my acne is almost definitely caused by hormones but my father still gets them, so who knows. The thing is, nothing I do stops my acne or slows it down - so I can't tell what causes it!

MemberMember
(@elkhoundgold)

Posted : 12/06/2013 8:55 pm

I'm not sure if low dose therapy would work but I'm open to it, I guess. I'm just in this mindset now of it needs to be gone and low-dosage therapy might not work. Considering it though!

>in my opinion accutane is a short term fix, you hear loads of stories of people being clear for a few years then it coming back.. acne IS caused by internal issues, it's just a case of finding out through trial and error which issue is causing your acne! accutance is also very taxing on the liver

Yeah... but I read somewhere (hope I'm remembering this right) that 85% of people are cured? And the other 15% need to have a second round. I think my acne is almost definitely caused by hormones but my father still gets them, so who knows. The thing is, nothing I do stops my acne or slows it down - so I can't tell what causes it!

Me neither, diet used to help but doesn't anymore. I'm still afraid of it though.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 12/06/2013 9:27 pm

I've been fighting acne for 15 years, and nothing has completely cleared me, so today I began my first round of Accutane. Accutane is the closest thing to a cure for acne that we have. And if it didn't clear many people, it wouldn't be prescribed as much as it is. I know a handful of people who have taken Accutane and have become clear from it. I've only met one person that it hasn't helped. You have to remember, people who are cleared from Accutane don't often post on boards like this. They are clear, so they don't need to. Because of that, it may seem as though Accutane isn't a useful drug. I wish I had gone on Accutane ten years ago, so my advice to you is to go ahead and take it.