Notifications
Clear all

3 Months On Dianette, Still Breaking Out

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 11/30/2013 12:26 pm

Is this normal? Apparently after 3 months people have clear skin. I still break out most days. I've less oily though.

Does this mean this treatment isn't working?

Accutane is next as I've tried everything, BC, 2 different antibiotics and topicals. Nothing has worked :(

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 11/30/2013 12:31 pm

I'm in the middle of month 6 on Dianette and am still breaking out so I'll be interested to see what responses you get to this thread. Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 11/30/2013 1:05 pm

I WANT ACCUTAAAAANE!

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 11/30/2013 1:13 pm

Me tooooo! And I've been denied it for 5 whole months already with no sign of that changing!! :(

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 11/30/2013 1:33 pm

I've just hit the 5 month mark of Diane...but I've taken 6 packs already (I keep skipping my period.......and I plan to have only 4 periods a year :D). I just hit a nasty breakout again....so I know how you feel ladies. But don't you guys kinda feel that after each break out, your skin looks better??

Idk I've had persistent, stubborn acne for 10 years now (varying degrees of severity), so I'm giving it the full 6 months. I feel like it's been improving my skin, but very slowly....and every month I break out once. -_- But if you really don't feel like sticking to it, I guess go for accutane? I've been avoiding accutane for years...the side effects are just not worth it to me, and I never want to put retinoids in me EVER because I want a baby and you NEVER KNOW (I'm paranoid lol).

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 11/30/2013 6:32 pm

Dianette (Diane 35) worked for me but I developed blood clots on it. In comparison, Accutane was much safer. If you are concerned about blood clots, you could try speaking with your dermatologist about that concern and ask if you are a candidate for isotretinoin. A bit of searching around will dig up many anecdotes of the increased risk of blood clots for patients on Dianette when compared to other BCP. In any case, Dianette is supposed to show results in three months, so if you're still having trouble after five months, I don't see any reason not to try isotretinoin, as long as you are carefully monitored and are watching for adverse effects yourself.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 12/01/2013 4:03 am

Dianette (Diane 35) worked for me but I developed blood clots on it. In comparison, Accutane was much safer. If you are concerned about blood clots, you could try speaking with your dermatologist about that concern and ask if you are a candidate for isotretinoin. A bit of searching around will dig up many anecdotes of the increased risk of blood clots for patients on Dianette when compared to other BCP. In any case, Dianette is supposed to show results in three months, so if you're still having trouble after five months, I don't see any reason not to try isotretinoin, as long as you are carefully monitored and are watching for adverse effects yourself.

I've been really paranoid about blood clots the entire time I've been on it but I don't even know what the sign of getting them is. I didn't realise Dianette was supposed to show results after only three months. At three months I still had cysts everywhere and now at five and a half months I'm still breaking out pretty much daily. :( My GP and dermatologist both say that isotretinoin would be the best treatment for my skin but my dermatologist refuses to let me have it every time I see him because of my depression so it would appear that I am not allowed to get treated properly for my acne like everybody else.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/01/2013 6:20 am

Change your dermatologist! Accutane only made me happier (since my pimples were gone, LOL)! But you do have to watch for any signs of a further depressed mood and tell someone (parents, another adult or very mature friend) that you're experiencing them, and then quit accutane immediately.

Can you ask your GP for a referral to a different derm?

As for symptoms of blood clots, I had a weird pain in my calf, which got worse when i was walking on flat ground or uphill, and I also had a headache that wouldn't quit. These are textbook symptoms (especially the leg pain - that is often the first sign). Look up DVT for more info. My derm (who was also my GP at the time) almost killed me when she found out I was walking around with a headache for weeks before telling her, had me in a CT scan the next morning and took me off Dianette for good. Thankfully symptoms resolved relatively quickly after that.

However, the problem is that many people have NO symptoms, because the clot doesn't get lodged anywhere you can feel, until it causes a serious blockage. I admit I am biased due to my experience, but I would really not recommend Dianette to anyone. If your acne is hormonal, then a low-dose BCP coupled with spironolactone should be an equally effective, and much less risky solution. But even in that case, I would try accutane, just watch for side effects and behave responsibly.

Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/01/2013 10:31 am

I've been really paranoid about blood clots the entire time I've been on it but I don't even know what the sign of getting them is. I didn't realise Dianette was supposed to show results after only three months. At three months I still had cysts everywhere and now at five and a half months I'm still breaking out pretty much daily. sad.png My GP and dermatologist both say that isotretinoin would be the best treatment for my skin but my dermatologist refuses to let me have it every time I see him because of my depression so it would appear that I am not allowed to get treated properly for my acne like everybody else.

I've read a lot of success stories for Diane where people didn't start noticing results until 6 months after it...I think 3 months is just the general mark and depending on the severity of your acne maybe it might take longer? Have you considered spironolactone then, if accutane is not an option for you?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 12/01/2013 10:47 am

Change your dermatologist! Accutane only made me happier (since my pimples were gone, LOL)! But you do have to watch for any signs of a further depressed mood and tell someone (parents, another adult or very mature friend) that you're experiencing them, and then quit accutane immediately.

Can you ask your GP for a referral to a different derm?

As for symptoms of blood clots, I had a weird pain in my calf, which got worse when i was walking on flat ground or uphill, and I also had a headache that wouldn't quit. These are textbook symptoms (especially the leg pain - that is often the first sign). Look up DVT for more info. My derm (who was also my GP at the time) almost killed me when she found out I was walking around with a headache for weeks before telling her, had me in a CT scan the next morning and took me off Dianette for good. Thankfully symptoms resolved relatively quickly after that.

However, the problem is that many people have NO symptoms, because the clot doesn't get lodged anywhere you can feel, until it causes a serious blockage. I admit I am biased due to my experience, but I would really not recommend Dianette to anyone. If your acne is hormonal, then a low-dose BCP coupled with spironolactone should be an equally effective, and much less risky solution. But even in that case, I would try accutane, just watch for side effects and behave responsibly.

Keep us posted!

Yeh, nobody in my real life even knows about my depression anyway so nobody would notice if the Accutane was having a negative effect on that. Not that I think anything could make it any worse anyway, except breaking out in millions of painful cysts like over summer again. I think GPs refer you to hospitals rather than specific dermatologists unfortunately. I guess I could potentially ask the hospital if I could change to someone else but I doubt they'd be pleased. I emailed them over a week ago telling them all my concerns about my last appointment and asking if they might be able to answer some of the questions that I didn't get to ask because it was so rushed but they haven't got back to me yet.

Eek, that's really scary! Glad you're okay now. I always get paranoid about any random pains I get in my legs in case it's a blood clot but realistically I know that it will just be psychosomatic pain if anything. My GP checked I wasn't getting any headaches before represcribing it to me last week so I'm all good on that front. I am always paranoid about it though and am really hoping it won't cause a problem! Maybe I should start carrying a box of aspirin around with me just in case. Unfortunately they don't prescribe spironolactone for acne in the UK so Dianette is the only hormonal treatment option I have really which is frustrating seeing as I apparently can't take Accutane either. I think I'm just doomed to never have clear skin. sad.png

I've been really paranoid about blood clots the entire time I've been on it but I don't even know what the sign of getting them is. I didn't realise Dianette was supposed to show results after only three months. At three months I still had cysts everywhere and now at five and a half months I'm still breaking out pretty much daily. sad.png My GP and dermatologist both say that isotretinoin would be the best treatment for my skin but my dermatologist refuses to let me have it every time I see him because of my depression so it would appear that I am not allowed to get treated properly for my acne like everybody else.

I've read a lot of success stories for Diane where people didn't start noticing results until 6 months after it...I think 3 months is just the general mark and depending on the severity of your acne maybe it might take longer? Have you considered spironolactone then, if accutane is not an option for you?

Ah right okay, I'll try not to lose hope yet then! My skin has improved a lot, I'm just frustrated to still be breaking out. Unfortunately they won't prescribe spironolactone in the UK otherwise I would have asked for it ages ago because I've only ever heard good things about it. In terms of hormonal treatment I'm told Dianette is the best option available to me.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/01/2013 2:32 pm

That is crazy! I can't believe the UK derms won't prescribe it! Actually, I can believe it, what with all the health and safety paranoia... My favorite related episode from the other day was seeing a sign, on a perfectly navigable staircase: "Please use caution while descending these steps." (I'm visiting the UK at the moment, although I live in the US, and I'm originally from neither.) I still love the place, though...

Can you offer to sign a pre-nup? I.e., can you sign a statement that you won't sue? Otherwise, can you threaten to order spiro online and take it unsupervised? I know it's a very non-confrontational culture, but something's gotta give here!! There is an acne medication out there, and no good reason for keeping you from it. This is injustice of the highest order! bs.gif

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 12/06/2013 9:51 am

Hey I just came across your post because I am on dianette, I'm on month six and seeing good results with it, but I had to go to a dermatologist before they would take me seriously about my skin and give me a treatment plan, my derm said if the dianette didn't start working in three months then he would not hessitate to put me on accutane, I would say my acne was moderate but he said that if it was affecting my daily life then why not treat it effectively. I also suffer from depression, mainly because of my skin which I told my derm, he, very wisely said that he had read extensive studies on accutane and depression and throught that not all the eveidence was accurate, he also said, which I agree, that acne itself makes people depressed (which is likely why people of accutane have depression, I know that even though my skin is clearing up I still have days where it all gets too much). He said that treating the acne in most cases helps with the depression, and that someones people have been so depressed about their acne for so long that by the time the take accutane they are already very depressed which is hard to just snap out of. Sorry I went on a bit of a rant there, but I see you're from the UK. I paid and went private it cost me 130.00, not cheap but I saved some of my wages back and it was money well spent, I'm not sure if you are private but what I am trying to say is that if you're not, any you can afford it then I would seek a different opinion from another dermatologist. If the prescribe the accutane you would still get it on NHS and only pay the 130.00 for your consultation. I hope that advice helps a little x

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 12/06/2013 11:15 am

That is crazy! I can't believe the UK derms won't prescribe it! Actually, I can believe it, what with all the health and safety paranoia... My favorite related episode from the other day was seeing a sign, on a perfectly navigable staircase: "Please use caution while descending these steps." (I'm visiting the UK at the moment, although I live in the US, and I'm originally from neither.) I still love the place, though...

Can you offer to sign a pre-nup? I.e., can you sign a statement that you won't sue? Otherwise, can you threaten to order spiro online and take it unsupervised? I know it's a very non-confrontational culture, but something's gotta give here!! There is an acne medication out there, and no good reason for keeping you from it. This is injustice of the highest order! bs.gif

Haha yep the staircase sign sounds very typically British! I emailed the hospital and they did get back to me in the end. In fact I got a personal phone call from my dermatologist who said he hadn't realised quite how much of an emotional impact my acne has on me so in light of that he is now going to consider putting me on Accutane in January provided that a) my GP agrees to take responsibility for my mental health b) my bloods come back fine and c) I agree to attend all the CBT, counselling, and mentoring appointments I'm supposed to start next term and that those start before I start taking the drug. So, with a lot of caveats, it is possible that I might actually be able to take Accutane in the nearish future. :)

Hey I just came across your post because I am on dianette, I'm on month six and seeing good results with it, but I had to go to a dermatologist before they would take me seriously about my skin and give me a treatment plan, my derm said if the dianette didn't start working in three months then he would not hessitate to put me on accutane, I would say my acne was moderate but he said that if it was affecting my daily life then why not treat it effectively. I also suffer from depression, mainly because of my skin which I told my derm, he, very wisely said that he had read extensive studies on accutane and depression and throught that not all the eveidence was accurate, he also said, which I agree, that acne itself makes people depressed (which is likely why people of accutane have depression, I know that even though my skin is clearing up I still have days where it all gets too much). He said that treating the acne in most cases helps with the depression, and that someones people have been so depressed about their acne for so long that by the time the take accutane they are already very depressed which is hard to just snap out of. Sorry I went on a bit of a rant there, but I see you're from the UK. I paid and went private it cost me £ 130.00, not cheap but I saved some of my wages back and it was money well spent, I'm not sure if you are private but what I am trying to say is that if you're not, any you can afford it then I would seek a different opinion from another dermatologist. If the prescribe the accutane you would still get it on NHS and only pay the £130.00 for your consultation. I hope that advice helps a little x

I think I've been unlucky in getting a dermatologist who's really overcautious about the supposed depressive effects of Accutane. I'm personally inclined to agree with you that the severity of acne that gets treated with Accutane is likely to have made a person very depressed by that point anyway and that any subsequent suicide attempt is essentially caused by the acne not the medication. I absolutely cannot understand my dermatologist's logic that giving me a drug that might have a chance of clearing my skin after 8 long years suffering with acne would make me more likely to commit suicide. That just seems completely illogical. There's no way Accutane could give me any thoughts or feelings that I don't get on a regular basis already so I feel like I'm probably more prepared for dealing with those than most people if they arose and am actually much more worried about the physical side effects than the psychological ones. Anyway, like I said to the poster above, I have finally managed to persuade him, with a lot of conditions on his part, to maybe let me take Accutane in January if my skin's still breaking out and not improving, providing all the mental health support is in place and my GP agrees. Not sure he'll stick to his word as he seems dead set against prescribing Accutane to anyone with depression, but I think I've made it clear that I will not allow myself to break out again like I did this summer, that is simply not going to happen. I would do anything to avoid going through that again, so if it ever comes down to that choice he surely can't withhold Accutane from me then can he? We'll see. The whole situation's really frustrating but at least now I have a glimmer of hope. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/10/2013 7:01 pm

Good to hear the derm now realizes how damaging acne is emotionally!

As for isotretinoin and depression, it's important to note that depression isn't rational, it's chemical, and while it's not clear what the mechanism of action might be, it does sound like isotretinoin promotes depression in SOME people. They key is to listen to our bodies and stop taking any meds if adverse effects are suspected. So, if you take roaccutane, and if you find yourself experiencing symptoms of depression (lack of interest in activities that used to be pleasurable, low energy, mood swings, appetite changes, etc. etc.), then don't chance it getting worse, get OFF the drug. I personally didn't experience negative mood changes on it, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. In short, be informed and listen to your body.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 12/11/2013 3:52 am

Good to hear the derm now realizes how damaging acne is emotionally!

As for isotretinoin and depression, it's important to note that depression isn't rational, it's chemical, and while it's not clear what the mechanism of action might be, it does sound like isotretinoin promotes depression in SOME people. They key is to listen to our bodies and stop taking any meds if adverse effects are suspected. So, if you take roaccutane, and if you find yourself experiencing symptoms of depression (lack of interest in activities that used to be pleasurable, low energy, mood swings, appetite changes, etc. etc.), then don't chance it getting worse, get OFF the drug. I personally didn't experience negative mood changes on it, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. In short, be informed and listen to your body.

Well I don't think anything could make my depression any worse right now but if (and it's a very big if) I ever actually get to take isotretinoin then I will keep a look out as you say. Just don't see how it could possibly make it any worse because if it were any worse then I wouldn't be sat here typing this. I'm breaking out again at the moment, possibly due to the end of term stress, and I'm as certain as I've ever been that if I were given the chance of getting clear skin then it could only be a positive thing for my mood.

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/11/2013 9:13 am

Good stuff. It sounds like you know what to watch for! And yes, there's no doubt accutane can indirectly improve one's mood... smile.png