Epiduo!

MemberMember
(@seane4)

Posted : 11/28/2013 1:39 am

Hey there fellow sufferers and many conqueror's of the malevolent spots on our faces in which we refer to as acne. This is my first post on this website's forums, and I am looking for some advice on the prescription drug known as Epiduo (AKA Tactuo in Canada). I have been using Epiduo for 5 weeks now, as expected the first 3 weeks nothing new happened with my skin, the 4th week things seemed to be improving, less spots were showing up and my skin was looking smoother, but when week 5 hit and I broke out pretty badly, got about 5 bad nodular zits on my face. What I'm trying to achieve from posting on this website (seeing as my family Doctor is pretty much useless and I can't see a Dermatologist for another 2 months) is to see if I am able to use face washes and moisturizers containing medical ingredients such as Niacinamide, Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid, and Glycerin while on Epiduo. I am using CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, and CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. I use a non-medical face wash before applying Epiduo at night and then use CeraVe's cleanser/lotion in the morning seeing as my Doctor said not to apply Epiduo on a face with other medical ingredients already on the skin. I thought it would be okay to use the medical ingredient cleanser/lotion (CeraVe) in the morning since I only apply Epiduo at night. What I am trying to ask is can I use cleansers/lotions containing medical ingredients in the morning and then wash off the lotion with a non-medicated cleanser at night before I apply Epiduo, or should I not use any type of medical ingredient on my face other than Epiduo during the entirety of its use?

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 11/28/2013 3:17 am

I successfully use epiduo and my recommendation is to not muck around with anything else. Many doctors (mine included) also prescribe a topical antibiotic cream/gel to apply with the epiduo for the first 4-6 months which seems to work well in combination, but I would avoid medicated cleansers.

If you're interested, the topical antibiotic I used for the first few months of epiduo was Eryacne. Look up the ingredients and ask your doctor about it. It really helps with intial breakouts such as what you're experiencing at the moment.

I'm about 8 months into using epiduo and I now only have to apply it 3 times a week and I remain 100% clear so its something that you just have to stick with until you start seeing results. (ps I got clear within 4-5 months).