Notifications
Clear all

A Week And A Half On Doxycycline And Acne Is Worse (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/23/2013 2:44 pm

Hey all,

It's been a while since I fully return to acne.org. Reason for being so is because I've had too many things to do school related and my skin has been clear and maintainable during the summer.

Well it isn't all happy news for me anymore.

Around a week into school, my face was at its best. My red marks were hardly noticeable, no acne whatsoever, and the redness had gone down completely and my skin color was going back to normal. My confidence was really high and girls were starting to show more interest in me again.

Until motherf*cking hormones decided to kick in (excuse my French).

To put it in simple terms, it started with 2 pimples on the chin and a cyst on my lower jaw on one side of the cheeks. I thought it would go away so I just followed my usual routine: Wash my face at day and before bedtime and apply 100% Aloe Vera gel right after cleansing (the gel is straight from the plant). I thought it would go away. 2 or 3 more days later, the acne had started to spread slowly again, still on my jaw/chin. I cut all school food and decided to research about my acne, only to find out it was hormonal. I thought to myself "Yeah, I'm 17 and I ALWAYS breakout during the end of summer/beginning of fall. No biggie." A week later my acne got worse and I had a dermatologist check-up coming up, so I went there.

I got multiple cortisone shots for the cysts (which did settle them down). I told my derm about my recent breakout and that if I could get something to keep it under control until my hormones decide to settle (which is usually mid-October. I sound like a girl on her period lol, but w.e) and he wanted to put me on Accutane again. I said no since even though it did clear me up, I was left with red marks and the journey was extremely rough for me, both physically and psychologically. Then he told me "Take Morgidox (which is Doxycycline) 2 times a day, 100mg per capsule". I got the medication and I was happy to know I was going to be able to keep all of this under control.

It's been a week and a half and my acne seems to have gotten worse. Pimples (not going to lie) appear like nothing and just sit there. Most of them barely grow into a head and then just go away, but it just keeps on happening. I know it's early to be expecting results since the medication usually takes 1-2 months to see results, but when will this acne stop? It's annoying having to wake up each day with a new pimple(s) on my face. It's killing me psychologically.

1mwq.jpg

d1wz.jpg

Thank you all for your support and answers. Have a good one smile.png

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 09/24/2013 3:57 am

Looks like you did the right things... Accutane in the past, cortisone shots, current meds. Don't know what else you could do other than try other products, if your acne really is hormonal.

I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but try changing your pillow case sheets every week. The pillow case sheet can collect lots of oil and can harvest bacteria. Also, water quality in the shower might have something to do with it. Consider getting a shower filter that filters out impurities in the water.

Or maybe its the doxycycline or the aloe Vera gel?

If no other medications work, you might want to reconsider accutane.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/24/2013 5:46 am

Go for low dose accutane and look into zinc/ zinc sunscreen with a niacinamide moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 09/24/2013 2:58 pm

Go for low dose accutane and look into zinc/ zinc sunscreen with a niacinamide moisturizer.

I've already been through a low dose Accutane course. I went through 30mg/day for 5 months.

MemberMember
(@musicvisuals)

Posted : 11/25/2013 3:34 pm

any update man? I know how hard having acne ...im wondering if its still just as bad?

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 11/28/2013 12:54 pm

any update man? I know how hard having acne ...im wondering if its still just as bad?

Hey man,

Haven't been on acne.org lately, so sorry for the late response.

Yes, my face is 10x better than here in the picture. I dropped Doxy a month and a half ago since it did absolutely nothing for me. I began taking Zinc Gluconate Chelated (50mg), Fish Oil 1500mg, and Vitamin D3 5000 IU each once daily, and I quit dairy products as well.

My face has only improved since that 1 month ago. It's a bit red and dry now due to the cold weather coming in, but nothing Aloe Vera gel can't fix. Overall, my face is completely smooth, the red marks *almost* completely gone, and what would be left is just patience in general. Without a doubt my skin will keep improving, but I have to maintain a healthy diet as well.

Ever since I found out my acne is hormonal imbalance and diet related, I decided to fix that, and I see great results and improvement so far.

Take it easy man!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/08/2014 6:46 am

Do you have any post treatment pics? It'd be very encouraging for everyone, me especially, to see the results :) I'm taking fish oil, zinc and niacin and cut on the dairy as well... I'm taking doxycicline and tazorac, so we seem to have the same regimen and same type of acne problem, though yours is not that escalated. Thanks!