Notifications
Clear all

Starting My Journey With Aczone And Minocycline

MemberMember
(@grim99)

Posted : 07/25/2013 11:07 pm

Well, I've been perusing over this site and these forums for weeks now so I figure I'll just go ahead and start posting. I just turned 23 and have been suffering from mild-moderate acne since before I can remember. I've tried many treatments in the past but nothing has really got me very clear. Granted, I have been in relationships the majority of the past 5 or so years. During the relationships I didn't pay that much attention to my acne. It wasn't terrible and for the most part I kind of avoided looking at my face for long times in the mirror. I would just wash my face, through benzoyl peroxide (10%) and epiduo on very quickly and then get on with my day. However, as of two months ago I am single, and now that I am... I have become ultra aware and ultra sensitive about my acne. A bunch of my other guy friends are single now as well and whenever we would go downtown I started getting more and more self-conscious and depressed about my acne. It's gotten to the point where I've pretty much told myself and accepted the fact that I won't try and find someone or go socialize at bars and whatever until my acne clears up. I just can't take looking at everyone and noticing their perfect freakin skin. Back when I was in high school and starting college, I'd see tons of people that had at least a little bit of acne. But now that I'm moving towards the heart of my 20's I feel as though I'm practically the only person dealing with acne and red marks. NONE of my friends have this problem. All of them have great clear skin and it's just so incredibly frustrating.

2 months ago I went to the derm for the first time in a long time and she put me on doxycycline and said to continue my benzoyl/epiduo treatment. At the same time, I started following the DKR as far as washing and benzoyl goes. EXCEPT I used 10% benzoyl. I know he says not to use it but I've used 10% for so long I was afraid I'd break out badly if I went to a lower percentage.

My results have been okay... I've seen somewhat of a reduction but I kept getting at least one new whitehead every 3 or 4 days. Now, this wouldn't be the worst problem but with my olive skin (italian descent) every pimple I get leaves a mark that seems to take for freaking ever to go away. So every time I see a new pimple I know that I'll be seeing a spot there for a long long time.

I saw a new derm last week and he switched me over to minocyline and told me to stop benzoyl and epiduo to switch to aczone. I practically had a panic attack that day when I stopped using benzoyl cause I've been using it for years and years. I was very afraid that cutting it cold turkey would make my face explode. So far, I've had about 2 new pimples but definitely no major breakout. My face feels better overall, the constant stinging and tightness I felt from the benz/epiduo is mostly gone. I think the aczone may be starting to work, but its a little to early to tell I guess. I am just hoping that this combo will help me stop my acne finally and clear me up so I can move on with my life and hopefully start getting some confidence. I have been paying very very close attention to my face the past few months now so I've been tracking progress and will continue to do so.

Has anyone else been on Aczone and Minocycline? I also take omega 3 supplements and zinc. I'm thinking about adding AHA to my facial routine because I heard it can help a bit with PIH. However, I don't know whether it interacts with the Aczone so I'm a bit scared to try.

Also, I think if after a month or so I'm continuing to get new pimples I think I'm just going to say screw it and go for the Accutane. I've been avoiding it since it was first offered to me by the derm when I was 16 because I was afraid of the side effects. But now I wonder how my life would have been different if I had taken it earlier, assuming that it worked. Maybe I wouldn't be the shy, ultra self concious person I am today. But maybe I still have a chance to change it.

Anyways. SUPER LONG post ... sorry. But lastly, I am so glad I found ACNE.ORG. Its been helping me get through this and I think I can picture clear skin in the future because of this site.

I'd love to hear other peoples aczone/minocycline stories.