Notifications
Clear all

Flucloxacillin Sodium

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 07/25/2013 4:22 am

So 8 weeks into accutane (40mg a day) I get a real bad outbreak, probably the worst I've ever had. Distraught and frustrated I go to see my doctor who suggests I start taking antibiotics. I agree. As she is preparing my script I mention that when I blow my nose in the morning I'm blowing out globs of bloody snot (gross I know). She says "oh I bet you have a staph infection I'll change your srcipt". So instead of prescribing me the normal acne antibiotics she prescribes me flucloxacillin sodium, 500mg 4 times a day for 10 days.

I can't find much info on it but it looks like it is only rarely prescribed for acne. I was kind of sceptical but I have to say since I've been on it (I'm into day 3 now) I have no new cysts and the ones on my face are calming down. I'm just wondering if any one else has had any experience with, or knowledge of, this drug?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/25/2013 4:33 am

I had a 10 day course of this that I finished about a week ago because the cystic acne I had got severely infected and painful, making my glands, lips and eyes swell up. It massively brought down the inflammation and cleared the infection but it took me until day 5 or 6 to start seeing it have any effect whatsoever. After that progress was pretty good and I was seeing an improvement every day. The only downside was having to work around food all the time and the high dosage made me feel sick at the beginning and end of the course. Hope it works for you! :)

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 07/26/2013 1:28 am

I had a 10 day course of this that I finished about a week ago because the cystic acne I had got severely infected and painful, making my glands, lips and eyes swell up. It massively brought down the inflammation and cleared the infection but it took me until day 5 or 6 to start seeing it have any effect whatsoever. After that progress was pretty good and I was seeing an improvement every day. The only downside was having to work around food all the time and the high dosage made me feel sick at the beginning and end of the course. Hope it works for you! smile.png

Thanks for the response. I think it is very interesting that this seems to have worked well for both of us given that it is nor normally prescribed for acne. I have tried conventional acne antibiotics in the past and they did nothing. It would be useful if others who have used F also report their results as it seems that there does not seem to be much information on F and its use in the treatment of acne.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/26/2013 3:30 am

I agree it is definitely an unusual prescription for acne, I think they only give you it if they suspect an underlying infection of some sort. 2000mg a day of Fluclox is a massive dose (like the highest dose of antibiotics you can take without being attached to a hospital drip) and I believe they are only allowed to prescribe it for a maximum of 10 days unless it's being used for more serious problems like to prevent infection after heart surgery. Its strength means that it should have a pretty powerful effect on acne but it's definitely not one that will be readily prescribed for it so I think we've both been lucky to get it!