Notifications
Clear all

Minimizing Accutane's Initial Breakout?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:25 pm

So I believe that acne (my acne at least) is influenced by my diet and other lifestyle activities such as heavy weight lifting. I am now going on Accutane 2 weeks from today so I want to put myself in the best position to not have an IB as I do not want any additional scarring as I scar very easily in my old age rolleyes.gif . I read a lot of logs and not many people attempt to take this preventive measure. Here are a few things that I am doing and would love some more tips.

1. I am going to continue my topical routine of BP in the morning and Tazorac at night until the day I start. I was considering continuing to use the BP in the morning for the first 2 weeks or so on Accutane. Can I safely do this?

2. I have started a paleo diet today and will continue it throughout my course. I want as little inflammation as possible so I figure following a very hypoallergenic diet can only help. I do not think that I could sustain this diet long term which is why Accutane is my only hope for a long term cure. I like my beer and pizza too much cool.png

3. Quitting lifting weights until my course is over. I want my testosterone levels as stable as possible. My acne is at its worst cystic wise when I am in a heavy lifting routine. I will take walks when the sun goes down to get some form of activity.

4. Should I request an antibiotic like Zithromax that is safe to use with Accutane?

This may sound overkill but if it means that I wont have 15 painful nodules on my face, I will follow it exactly.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:31 pm

Depending on your dose, you could definitely continue to use topicals. I used BP for the first month on accutane before i felt my skin was just too dry to continue. I also was on paleo and an antiinflammatory diet. Towards the end I started to falter and ate whatever I wanted with no ill effects.

I did not have much of an initial breakout. I don't know if it was what I did or just how my skin reacted. People do take antibiotics while on accutane, but usually only if it gets really bad. I requested prednisone for my first ten days on accutane to keep inflammation down.

No one knows how you will react to accutane. I thought for sure my face would explode. But it was so bad already I think everything had already come to the surface by the time I went on accutane. I got only one painful new cyst during the entire course, otherwise just improvement (and I had one of the worst cases of acne ever, I mean it)

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:45 pm

Depending on your dose, you could definitely continue to use topicals. I used BP for the first month on accutane before i felt my skin was just too dry to continue. I also was on paleo and an antiinflammatory diet. Towards the end I started to falter and ate whatever I wanted with no ill effects.

I did not have much of an initial breakout. I don't know if it was what I did or just how my skin reacted. People do take antibiotics while on accutane, but usually only if it gets really bad. I requested prednisone for my first ten days on accutane to keep inflammation down.

No one knows how you will react to accutane. I thought for sure my face would explode. But it was so bad already I think everything had already come to the surface by the time I went on accutane. I got only one painful new cyst during the entire course, otherwise just improvement (and I had one of the worst cases of acne ever, I mean it)

Sounds like you had a good experience breakout wise. That's good news about the BP. I will be starting at only 20 MG for the first month so I am thinking I will be okay. Did you end up using the prednisone or just have it on hand just in case?

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:49 pm

Yea it wasn't bad at all, and with how bad my acne was I was terrified of it getting worse. I did use the prednisone because I was so scared of the IB. I was also on 20mg the first month.

MemberMember
(@soulivan7)

Posted : 06/28/2013 12:49 pm

I'm, 45 days in and still haven't had an IB of any sort.. 20mg for the first 5 days and then 40 mg since

I still do a light gym session with weights and it hasn't made a difference as of yet!

MemberMember
(@emilyology)

Posted : 06/28/2013 10:10 pm

I was prescribed Bactrim and took it throughout my Accutane course. I'm still on it now, actually.

My dermatologist said she likes to prescribe it for severe patients to help with flare ups and to prevent infections from cystic acne.