Notifications
Clear all

Minocycline Vs Accutane

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 06/14/2013 10:40 pm

I've been on minocycline for one year now along with epiduo (2.5% bp and adeplone 0.1%). My acne is alot better than what it started (70% better) but its still not 100% clear. I probably break out once a week with 3 new pimples. Now my question here is: should i keep doing what i'm doing or should i get accutane. The thing is i have tried accutane for 2-3 weeks before 5 years ago and the side effects were intolerable. I felt like 80 years old when i was on it and all my joints were grinding. I was on 40mg/day. If i were to go on accutane again though i would obvsiously get a much lower dose.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone been on minocycline long term? (1y+)

Has anyone had severe joint pain on accutane and has changing the dose eliminnated this side effect?

regards, steve

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 06/14/2013 11:55 pm

i was on minocycline 3 to 5 different times- and that medicine does a lot, but for a long term i dont think its a good idea. I got put on accutane and im on my 3 to 4th week so far. My side effects are just really bad dryness- my whole face is dry but horrible around my mouth like i feel so nasty and fugly when i walk outside. Im a young slender women on 60 mg.... which i was pretty shocked when i was put on it because its a lot. Anyways good luck.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 06/15/2013 12:28 am

i was on minocycline 3 to 5 different times- and that medicine does a lot, but for a long term i dont think its a good idea. I got put on accutane and im on my 3 to 4th week so far. My side effects are just really bad dryness- my whole face is dry but horrible around my mouth like i feel so nasty and fugly when i walk outside. Im a young slender women on 60 mg.... which i was pretty shocked when i was put on it because its a lot. Anyways good luck.

thanks for sharing :)

MemberMember
(@ibs)

Posted : 06/15/2013 2:58 am

Hi,

I did a 1.5 year course of minocycline up until last summer and at the same time had epiduo/BP cream (varied the two every couple of months because of sourcing difficulties). Within the first couple of months (between month 4 and 6 on moncycline) my acne cleared up amazingly (I would say 95%) and stayed that way for the rest of the course. My skin continued to look great for the rest of the course and I didn't experience any major sideeffects except skin dryness from the bp. About 5 months after ending the treatment my acne started to come back but stayed under control until this march ( about 9 months after ending the treatment). I then went on accutane at 40mg per day (20mg in the first week, then up to 40 mg). Initially i didn't experience any major sideeffects except dry skin and extremely dry lips. Over the following few weeks I started to experience hair thinning, some joint pain, my hairline retreating, dry hair and major scarring (I barely scarred before). However I have to admit that it did clear my acne significantly and I have no doubt that if I finished the course it would have cleared completely. I aborted my course after about 6 weeks due to the scarring and my hair. I'm not saying that you will get these sideeffects, nor that you should not take it, but please consider that all of these sideeffects could appear. If you want some more info, feel free to send me a message.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 06/15/2013 4:31 am

Hi,

I did a 1.5 year course of minocycline up until last summer and at the same time had epiduo/BP cream (varied the two every couple of months because of sourcing difficulties). Within the first couple of months (between month 4 and 6 on moncycline) my acne cleared up amazingly (I would say 95%) and stayed that way for the rest of the course. My skin continued to look great for the rest of the course and I didn't experience any major sideeffects except skin dryness from the bp. About 5 months after ending the treatment my acne started to come back but stayed under control until this march ( about 9 months after ending the treatment). I then went on accutane at 40mg per day (20mg in the first week, then up to 40 mg). Initially i didn't experience any major sideeffects except dry skin and extremely dry lips. Over the following few weeks I started to experience hair thinning, some joint pain, my hairline retreating, dry hair and major scarring (I barely scarred before). However I have to admit that it did clear my acne significantly and I have no doubt that if I finished the course it would have cleared completely. I aborted my course after about 6 weeks due to the scarring and my hair. I'm not saying that you will get these sideeffects, nor that you should not take it, but please consider that all of these sideeffects could appear. If you want some more info, feel free to send me a message.

thank you for the reply! can i ask what dose of minocycline you were on? and how come you went off it, if it worked so well for you? im guessing it is because of long term antibiotic use. Yeah i also experienced accutanes brutalness. I literally could not move due to joint pain!! but i am thinking if i go on a lower dose this time, i won't get the side effects. Decisions decisions! Also, can i ask how much epiduo you use? do you use it on youir whole face or just affected areas? and how often.

cheers, sorry for all the questions :P

MemberMember
(@ibs)

Posted : 06/16/2013 8:38 pm

Hi,

thank you for the reply! can i ask what dose of minocycline you were on? and how come you went off it, if it worked so well for you? im guessing it is because of long term antibiotic use. Yeah i also experienced accutanes brutalness. I literally could not move due to joint pain!! but i am thinking if i go on a lower dose this time, i won't get the side effects. Decisions decisions! Also, can i ask how much epiduo you use? do you use it on youir whole face or just affected areas? and how often.

cheers, sorry for all the questions tongue.png

No worries, just keep asking! I now regret that I didn't ask enough questions before I started accutane..

I cannot recall my exact dose, however it was rather low (maximum 2x50mg, but I think it was less). The reason I came off it was that my doctor just wasn't comfortable with me staying on an antibiotic for so long and so he took me off it. Personally, I would have continued and now I am back on antibiotics from the same doctor..

What goes for the epiduo, I would say that I used a moderate amount on and around all the affected areas but not everywhere in my face. Also, I only used it once daily before going to bed which is the same as I am doing now. I am sure that twice daily could yield better results but I don't want to strain my skin too much, especially after having been on accutane. Just watch out for it bleaching your clothes and towels - my dad wasn't happy when I started leaving marks on towels he had just bought. ;)

MemberMember
(@sunshinetaradise)

Posted : 06/19/2013 9:51 am

I was on Minocycline (100mg once a day) and Differin for 2 years......it did make a big difference in my skin but eventually stopped being effective. I'm on my 4th month of Accutane and I've had some rare side effects (blistering form of athelete's foot, corneal ulcer) as well as the dry skin/lips but my skin is SOOOO much better! My derm decreased my dosage from 40mg to 30mg this month to give my body a break. Even with the side effects I've had I don't regret going on Accutane....nothing I can't handle!

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 06/19/2013 9:02 pm

I was on Minocycline (100mg once a day) and Differin for 2 years......it did make a big difference in my skin but eventually stopped being effective. I'm on my 4th month of Accutane and I've had some rare side effects (blistering form of athelete's foot, corneal ulcer) as well as the dry skin/lips but my skin is SOOOO much better! My derm decreased my dosage from 40mg to 30mg this month to give my body a break. Even with the side effects I've had I don't regret going on Accutane....nothing I can't handle!

That is awsome! congractulations on your success for accutane. Did 100mg of mino keep you clear? I just saw my derm cos i was breaking out on 2x50mg daily so he told me i could play with my dosages. So if i break out i can take 50mg in morning and 100mg at night and if im clear i can take 50mg. I'm not sure if i should do this though cos i heard it could increase my chance to becoming resistant to it. So it took you 2 year for mino to stop being effective? Did it just suddenly stop or did it slowly stop working. When that day comes for me, i will try accutane again at a much lower dose than last time!

Hi,

No worries, just keep asking! I now regret that I didn't ask enough questions before I started accutane..

I cannot recall my exact dose, however it was rather low (maximum 2x50mg, but I think it was less). The reason I came off it was that my doctor just wasn't comfortable with me staying on an antibiotic for so long and so he took me off it. Personally, I would have continued and now I am back on antibiotics from the same doctor..

What goes for the epiduo, I would say that I used a moderate amount on and around all the affected areas but not everywhere in my face. Also, I only used it once daily before going to bed which is the same as I am doing now. I am sure that twice daily could yield better results but I don't want to strain my skin too much, especially after having been on accutane. Just watch out for it bleaching your clothes and towels - my dad wasn't happy when I started leaving marks on towels he had just bought. wink.png

Did you think epiduo helped? i can't see too much of a difference when i'm using it. I've only used it for around a month so far and i haven't noticed any goo dchanges. Yeah i asked my derm about staying on antibiotics for too long, and he said it was ok and he has patients that have used it for 20 years. I got a blood test for my liver just to make sure though! Did you ever play around with your dosages on mino or did u take 2x50mg every day? I saw my derm again yesterday cos i've been breaking out lately and he said i could take 1 x 50mg in morning and 2x50mg at night if my skin is bad. And when its looking good just take 50mg.

MemberMember
(@ibs)

Posted : 06/20/2013 7:30 pm

That is awsome! congractulations on your success for accutane. Did 100mg of mino keep you clear? I just saw my derm cos i was breaking out on 2x50mg daily so he told me i could play with my dosages. So if i break out i can take 50mg in morning and 100mg at night and if im clear i can take 50mg. I'm not sure if i should do this though cos i heard it could increase my chance to becoming resistant to it. So it took you 2 year for mino to stop being effective? Did it just suddenly stop or did it slowly stop working. When that day comes for me, i will try accutane again at a much lower dose than last time!

>

Hi,

What goes for the epiduo, I would say that I used a moderate amount on and around all the affected areas but not everywhere in my face. Also, I only used it once daily before going to bed which is the same as I am doing now. I am sure that twice daily could yield better results but I don't want to strain my skin too much, especially after having been on accutane. Just watch out for it bleaching your clothes and towels - my dad wasn't happy when I started leaving marks on towels he had just bought. wink.png

Did you think epiduo helped? i can't see too much of a difference when i'm using it. I've only used it for around a month so far and i haven't noticed any goo dchanges. Yeah i asked my derm about staying on antibiotics for too long, and he said it was ok and he has patients that have used it for 20 years. I got a blood test for my liver just to make sure though! Did you ever play around with your dosages on mino or did u take 2x50mg every day? I saw my derm again yesterday cos i've been breaking out lately and he said i could take 1 x 50mg in morning and 2x50mg at night if my skin is bad. And when its looking good just take 50mg.

Yes, I think it did. However, I can't be completely sure since for almost my entire course's duration I was on both. It all takes a bit of time though, you'll have to wait and see.

I did take an additional dose at some points when my face was exposed to being touched more (eg. when i spent time with my GF), however I didn't do this very regularly (maybe once a month). I think it's less the extra minocycline that helped than the confidence in my skind I got from the extra dose. I know it sounds a bit stupid but it's true. Other than that I did the same dose in morning and evening for the entire time.

What goes for the blood test: try to stay on the safe side! I initially had monthly tests which eventually went up to blood tests every 70 days which was all covered by my insurance. I didn't have any other than ordinary results for the entire time though.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/25/2013 6:08 pm

I was on minocycline twice. It worked great the first time. Didn't get a cyst the whole time I was on it (4 months). Once I ran out of medication, I started getting the cysts again. So, I went back to my derm. to get another prescription but he told me that, that would be the last time I could take it because of the side effects if you take it long term (lupus, red/purple spots on skin, etc.). It didn't work the 2nd time around AND instead of getting one cyst a month (which is all I got before I went on the medication) I started getting a ton and not just near my mouth. I started getting cysts on my forehead, on and underneath my nose, in my eyebrows...still getting a ton. They are small but those suckers leave scars. I will NEVER get on any medication ever again. Totally not worth it.

I just recently started using Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar and it zaps my cysts really fast. Like in 2-3 days! I have pictures if you want me to send before and after. Not sure how to send pictures on here so someone would need to tell me how to get them on here.

That could be an option for you. Doesn't hurt to give it a try so that you can get away from those medications.

MemberMember
(@cloitus)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:10 am

I was on minocycline twice. It worked great the first time. Didn't get a cyst the whole time I was on it (4 months). Once I ran out of medication, I started getting the cysts again. So, I went back to my derm. to get another prescription but he told me that, that would be the last time I could take it because of the side effects if you take it long term (lupus, red/purple spots on skin, etc.). It didn't work the 2nd time around AND instead of getting one cyst a month (which is all I got before I went on the medication) I started getting a ton and not just near my mouth. I started getting cysts on my forehead, on and underneath my nose, in my eyebrows...still getting a ton. They are small but those suckers leave scars. I will NEVER get on any medication ever again. Totally not worth it.

I just recently started using Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar and it zaps my cysts really fast. Like in 2-3 days! I have pictures if you want me to send before and after. Not sure how to send pictures on here so someone would need to tell me how to get them on here.

That could be an option for you. Doesn't hurt to give it a try so that you can get away from those medications.

oh k thanks for sharing your experience with mino :). Does it have to be Bragg's ACV, or can it be any brand?

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/26/2013 9:56 am

Some people say the cheap vinegar works too but Bragg's is organic and unfiltered with the mother (pulp) so supposedly it's better. I don't really know if it is or not but I figured that if I'm putting it on my face I might as well spend the extra $2 bucks. It was only $5 at Sprouts. I read some people broke out from it but they applied it to their entire faces. I did a spot test first (on one cyst) and my skin was fine. I only do Spot Treatments (I apply it with a q tip) and I don't dilute it but I read that you're supposed to dilute it because it's so strong but I put so much crap on my face anyway so my skin can handle it. I usually apply it in the morning, halfway through the day, and then before I go to bed. Don't cover it with a bandaide because it could burn your skin. I really has helped me. I wish I had known about this sooner. Could've saved me a lot of grief.

Oh I feel so dumb...I scrolled down and now I see where you can attach photos. lol The first 2 pics were taken before I used ACV. Those are cysts. The last one is a few days afterward. I have a fleshy cyst with nothing inside that shrunk (it's the middle cyst in the before pic) and the redness went away but it didn't go completely away. I don't even know if it's a cyst or not. All the other cysts in that picture and others I got afterward have gone away really quickly thanks to ACV.

post-152731-0-66454200-1372258311_thumb.

post-152731-0-94985000-1372258321_thumb.

post-152731-0-02637500-1372258332_thumb.

post-152731-0-66454200-1372258311_thumb.

post-152731-0-94985000-1372258321_thumb.

post-152731-0-02637500-1372258332_thumb.