Notifications
Clear all

I'd Have To Be A Fool...

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/10/2013 11:08 pm

...to go on Accutane. Yet, why do I still struggle with this decicion a year later? My derm offered it to me last year. I vowed not to go on it for all its dangers. He even agreed to low dose. I vowed to cure it somehow by this year. Nope, still haven't.

WARNING: EXTREME WHINE ZONE AHEAD

I've tried diet for almost ten years. I mean, everybody gets acne. Hell, even my boyfriend does some if he eats chocolate chip cookies. But if I eat them? Fking punishment from the heavens themselves upon my face. Even the gluten free/dairy free ones. I've been on strict diet forever. I'll admit it lessons the amount of lesions. But it doesn't cure acne. My acne can take years to heal red marks. It doesn't fucking care. And I'm tired of whining about it and annoying my poor boyfriend, family and people I know by bitching about it. It's all I've thought about for almost a decade. I think about it everyday. It influences what I do, how I act, whether I walk my dogs that day. I know there's nothing mentally wrong--it's my own fault for being that insecure. I cry in my parents arms about it like a pathetic child. They tell me nobody is looking at my face. It's not really about that for me...it's about looking nice for myself.

So seriously, Accutane is too dangerous apparently at low doses...with me terrified of hair loss and diabetes, I feel left with no options. And hormonal BC is out, it only made my acne worse. ( Don't get on that shit by the way, because when you go off it can sometimes leave you with permanent blackheads).

And worst of all that acne diet left me with malnutrition. I eventually said screw it as of now. Being terrified of what I eat everyday of my life is a horrible way to live. I'm now gaining more healthy weight. I still can't eat 'fun' foods though. Yet this diet hasn't rewarded me with much for my trouble. Nothing makes you feel more like shit than always watching family members around you eat whatever the fuck they want. My parents don't have acne.

Gah damn. Help.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/10/2013 11:35 pm

...to go on Accutane. Yet, why do I still struggle with this decicion a year later? My derm offered it to me last year. I vowed not to go on it for all its dangers. He even agreed to low dose. I vowed to cure it somehow by this year. Nope, still haven't.

WARNING: EXTREME WHINE ZONE AHEAD

I've tried diet for almost ten years. I mean, everybody gets acne. Hell, even my boyfriend does some if he eats chocolate chip cookies. But if I eat them? Fking punishment from the heavens themselves upon my face. Even the gluten free/dairy free ones. I've been on strict diet forever. I'll admit it lessons the amount of lesions. But it doesn't cure acne. My acne can take years to heal red marks. It doesn't fucking care. And I'm tired of whining about it and annoying my poor boyfriend, family and people I know by bitching about it. It's all I've thought about for almost a decade. I think about it everyday. It influences what I do, how I act, whether I walk my dogs that day. I know there's nothing mentally wrong--it's my own fault for being that insecure. I cry in my parents arms about it like a pathetic child. They tell me nobody is looking at my face. It's not really about that for me...it's about looking nice for myself.

So seriously, Accutane is too dangerous apparently at low doses...with me terrified of hair loss and diabetes, I feel left with no options. And hormonal BC is out, it only made my acne worse. ( Don't get on that shit by the way, because when you go off it can sometimes leave you with permanent blackheads).

And worst of all that acne diet left me with malnutrition. I eventually said screw it as of now. Being terrified of what I eat everyday of my life is a horrible way to live. I'm now gaining more healthy weight. I still can't eat 'fun' foods though. Yet this diet hasn't rewarded me with much for my trouble. Nothing makes you feel more like shit than always watching family members around you eat whatever the fuck they want. My parents don't have acne.

Gah damn. Help.

im in the same boat! Did you ever take oral antibiotics? Oral antibiotics are the reason I still have this disease

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/10/2013 11:38 pm

I say just go for it, Accutane works great for so many people with very minor side effects. Even if you experience those side effects you're afraid of just stop taking it. Odds are you'll be fine if you take it. Also, you might be putting too much thought into the diet thing. I've tried staying away from all the supposed acne triggers and there's never a change in my acne plus I've had periods of clear skin while eating whatever I wanted so for me at least, I think I was just putting too much stock in the whole diet aspect. It is always good to eat healthy though, so I've continued that for the most part, I just allow myself bad foods now and then. With that said if you know %100 that certain foods make you break out you should definitely avoid them.

But like I said, just go for the accutane.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:05 am

I say just go for it, Accutane works great for so many people with very minor side effects. Even if you experience those side effects you're afraid of just stop taking it. Odds are you'll be fine if you take it. Also, you might be putting too much thought into the diet thing. I've tried staying away from all the supposed acne triggers and there's never a change in my acne plus I've had periods of clear skin while eating whatever I wanted so for me at least, I think I was just putting too much stock in the whole diet aspect. It is always good to eat healthy though, so I've continued that for the most part, I just allow myself bad foods now and then. With that said if you know 0 that certain foods make you break out you should definitely avoid them.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Do you know many people who went 10 mg and had severe side effects? I would go no more than that. One person wanted to commit suicide but I'm not afraid of mood changes, really. And what of these horror stories? Diabetes? 2 Years AFTER the drug? Terrifying. Did you use Accutane also? I had to maintain that diet--it's probably why I don't have any dented scars thankfully. But motha fflocking redmarks.

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:16 am

Finished my first round in early 2008 with great results and minor side effects, not sure of the dosage I had back then though. My skin was great for a good two years before anything came back but when it did, it wasn't as bad and it was controllable up until the end of last year it just went crazy I think due to stopping proactiv. So when I gave in and went back to proactiv with no results I started accutane again almost three weeks ago at 20mg a day which is low as I'm 170lbs.

To be honest, I never sought out the negative stories. All I know is that my side effects were minimal and my results, even though they didn't last were 1000 times better than anything else I've tried. Which is a lot. I'm actually hoping to get to as high a dose as I can this time around but I have seen success stories with low doses.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/11/2013 12:20 am

I say just go for it, Accutane works great for so many people with very minor side effects. Even if you experience those side effects you're afraid of just stop taking it. Odds are you'll be fine if you take it. Also, you might be putting too much thought into the diet thing. I've tried staying away from all the supposed acne triggers and there's never a change in my acne plus I've had periods of clear skin while eating whatever I wanted so for me at least, I think I was just putting too much stock in the whole diet aspect. It is always good to eat healthy though, so I've continued that for the most part, I just allow myself bad foods now and then. With that said if you know 0 that certain foods make you break out you should definitely avoid them.

Hi and thanks for the reply. Do you know many people who went 10 mg and had severe side effects? I would go no more than that. One person wanted to commit suicide but I'm not afraid of mood changes, really. And what of these horror stories? Diabetes? 2 Years AFTER the drug? Terrifying. Did you use Accutane also? I had to maintain that diet--it's probably why I don't have any dented scars thankfully. But motha fflocking redmarks.

which diet are you on? Ironically, when I started eating healthier, my skin started to scar..

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:08 am

Finished my first round in early 2008 with great results and minor side effects, not sure of the dosage I had back then though. My skin was great for a good two years before anything came back but when it did, it wasn't as bad and it was controllable up until the end of last year it just went crazy I think due to stopping proactiv. So when I gave in and went back to proactiv with no results I started accutane again almost three weeks ago at 20mg a day which is low as I'm 170lbs.

To be honest, I never sought out the negative stories. All I know is that my side effects were minimal and my results, even though they didn't last were 1000 times better than anything else I've tried. Which is a lot. I'm actually hoping to get to as high a dose as I can this time around but I have seen success stories with low doses.

Cool thanks for the input. I'd at least like to take care of the 'badness' of the acne....having some never bothered me. But having what I do with the frequency it's at?? And avoiding foods for this long...crazy. I don't care if it came back...as long as it came back minimally! It just does it up lol. Are you sure diet won't help you the 2nd time around so you don't have to go on it again?

which diet are you on? Ironically, when I started eating healthier, my skin started to scar..

I was on gluten free and dairy free including casein and whey free to be absolutely sure. My skin didn't scar thankfully. I avoided just about everything as well like peanuts, nuts, chocolate etc. I'd feel so sad because I couldn't eat whatever my boyfriend ate. =(

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:39 am

Cool thanks for the input. I'd at least like to take care of the 'badness' of the acne....having some never bothered me. But having what I do with the frequency it's at?? And avoiding foods for this long...crazy. I don't care if it came back...as long as it came back minimally! It just does it up lol. Are you sure diet won't help you the 2nd time around so you don't have to go on it again?

>

I was on gluten free and dairy free including casein and whey free to be absolutely sure. My skin didn't scar thankfully. I avoided just about everything as well like peanuts, nuts, chocolate etc. I'd feel so sad because I couldn't eat whatever my boyfriend ate. =(

So what were you eating exactly?

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/11/2013 2:24 am

I never watched my diet the first time and had good results, I only tried thinggs like avoiding dairy and peanut butter and sugar and eating healthier in the past six months which has made me feel better physically but did absolutely nothing for my skin. I know everyone is different and some people do have to avoid certain things but I really don't think it's about food for me. I would never be able to cut out gluten either.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/11/2013 1:13 pm

>

So what were you eating exactly?

Gluten free breads, rice, fruit, various dishes ( like Spanish rice making things from scratch) stirfry's, shrimp...variety of stuff that's not dairy or gluten. Pure fresh spices.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/11/2013 2:32 pm

Did You try Light therapy or laser therapy?

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/11/2013 9:26 pm

Did You try Light therapy or laser therapy?

Tried both red and blue light therapy. Probably the most useless waste of money ever.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 06/11/2013 10:00 pm

There's tons of scary stuf on the internet about accutane. Truth is, it's a very powerful drug. That's why you have blood work done every month and have to read and abide by the IPledge system. If you have had enough of bad skin and have tried everything else, then go for accutane. Bottom line is IT WORKS! I've been depressed in the past because of my acne. Now that I'm on my 5th month of accutane and have clearer skin than i have in years I'm not depressed. Magic, huh? The main side effects are dry lips and skin. If you can deal with that for 5-6 months, you'll be acne free for some time to come without any help OTC meds or diet or anything else. Cheers.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/12/2013 9:24 pm

There's tons of scary stuf on the internet about accutane. Truth is, it's a very powerful drug. That's why you have blood work done every month and have to read and abide by the IPledge system. If you have had enough of bad skin and have tried everything else, then go for accutane. Bottom line is IT WORKS! I've been depressed in the past because of my acne. Now that I'm on my 5th month of accutane and have clearer skin than i have in years I'm not depressed. Magic, huh? The main side effects are dry lips and skin. If you can deal with that for 5-6 months, you'll be acne free for some time to come without any help OTC meds or diet or anything else. Cheers.

It seems to be a TERRIFYING drug. I am scared of permanent hairloss and moreso of diabetes. That's why my decision is insanely difficult. How do I know that some of the positive reviews of Accutane are not just drug reps logging on here and posting good reviews about it?

I've never seen so many horror stories about any other drug..not NEARLY as much as I hear about Accutane. It seems most people who said they thought side effects were "rare" even got hair loss etc. That seems to be a very common side effect, actually. Don't get me wrong; I'm not discrediting your claim. Maybe for some it does work great. So you're currently on your 5th month? But what if you have side effects after you get off? I know the majority of shit doesn't work; OTC meds/antibiotics are largely useless and usually make the problem worse.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 06/12/2013 11:26 pm

Here's my viewpoint... I hated the way i looked with acne, therefore I wasn't happy with my life. I hid. If I can be acne free and enjoy my life RIGHT NOW, then I 'll roll the dice about an uncertain future. All drugs come with their inherent risks - that's the yin and yang, i suppose. I'm 43 yrs old(crazy, I know) and weighed the risks vs the advantages and made my informed decision. I may get hit by a bus tomorrow, but at least I'm living again TODAY, and happy with my appearance. No guarantees in this thing called life. I was hiding away, only going to work, and had had enough of that. I couldn't be worried about tomorrow when i hated my appearance in the present. I'm not vain either. My condition warranted accutane. As for all the negative press, there's pros and cons, as with everthing. I hope I made sense here. Cheers. http://www.acne.org/isotretinoin-accutane-reviews/29/page1.html

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/14/2013 1:56 pm

Here's my viewpoint... I hated the way i looked with acne, therefore I wasn't happy with my life. I hid. If I can be acne free and enjoy my life RIGHT NOW, then I 'll roll the dice about an uncertain future. All drugs come with their inherent risks - that's the yin and yang, i suppose. I'm 43 yrs old(crazy, I know) and weighed the risks vs the advantages and made my informed decision. I may get hit by a bus tomorrow, but at least I'm living again TODAY, and happy with my appearance. No guarantees in this thing called life. I was hiding away, only going to work, and had had enough of that. I couldn't be worried about tomorrow when i hated my appearance in the present. I'm not vain either. My condition warranted accutane. As for all the negative press, there's pros and cons, as with everthing. I hope I made sense here. Cheers. http://www.acne.org/isotretinoin-accutane-reviews/29/page1.html

I feel the same way. But I don't want the permanent affects. Is there anything showing that the hair will come back and sugar problems are less of an issue on low dose? I know many asian countries like Korea seem to do low dose from another guy's post. I don't know if they have as many issues as us gung ho rape-you-with-as-much-Accutane-as-possible Americans.

MemberMember
(@fotoguy)

Posted : 06/14/2013 2:58 pm

I think the answer to both of your questions depends on the individual. My hair hasn't fallen out and I don't have diabetes. Even if I did, it wouldn't be as bad as having giant cystic acne. You live in a country where people from all over the world come to study medicine. They don't go to Korea to study - they come here. Trust what your doc advises.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:07 pm

Actually Diabetes causes acne due to hormones. Honestly its not even the horror stories these days all you have to due is look at what you have to sign and read for Accutane there is about 400 side effects. Labs don't detect all the possible things that can happen to you.

Besides you can read on here about million posts of people's acne coming back after Accutane it is really on for severe cystic acne!

To the OP- I'll have to read through your posts on what you have tried again....etc.. Really Accutane is Russian Roulette!

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:20 pm

Actually Diabetes causes acne due to hormones. Honestly its not even the horror stories these days all you have to due is look at what you have to sign and read for Accutane there is about 400 side effects. Labs don't detect all the possible things that can happen to you.

Besides you can read on here about million posts of people's acne coming back after Accutane it is really on for severe cystic acne!

To the OP- I'll have to read through your posts on what you have tried again....etc.. Really Accutane is Russian Roulette!

Hi thanks for your input I see you a lot on the forums. I am aware of how dangerous it is. But have most the people received these dangerous side effects only on what I consider "large" doses? Quick run down on what's been tried: Every OTC topical known to man, every natural/paleo/what have you diet known to man perfected over a period of ten years, every prescription topical known to man, stupid blue light/red light treatments, natural remedies, herbs...my acne doesn't givea shit haha.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/14/2013 3:59 pm

Maybe it's hormonal?

MemberMember
(@zzz123)

Posted : 06/14/2013 4:04 pm

I'm exactly the same I've had acne since I was about 16 and I'm 24 now, I've tried every single thing you can think of to try an rid the horrible things but nothing ever works so I'm goin on accutane in two weeks just because it may be the only way I can actually be happy with the way I look an try to get the confidence that I've lost back.. Life's for living so why worry about a few side affects when potentially accutane could be the best thing that's happend to me/us

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/14/2013 6:07 pm

I'm exactly the same I've had acne since I was about 16 and I'm 24 now, I've tried every single thing you can think of to try an rid the horrible things but nothing ever works so I'm goin on accutane in two weeks just because it may be the only way I can actually be happy with the way I look an try to get the confidence that I've lost back.. Life's for living so why worry about a few side affects when potentially accutane could be the best thing that's happend to me/us

Life is worth living but if the side of the dice lands wrong you'll live with it for a potentially long time of misery. So I weigh my options accordingly. Just wish there was another method.

@ oli girl, my story's a long one I'll try to sum it up. I had parathyroid disease ( NOT thyroid related in anyway) they are 4 glands located in neck that control your blood calcium levels. Sadly not many people are aware they exist in our body. They had to be removed I had hyperplasia of them and I have half of one left that works. They are so important that you could potentially die if you didn't have them. I am also missing appendix/gallbladder because they let the disease go on for so long ( fucking doctors fought me every step of the way too. What happens if you leave parathyroid disease so long is calcification of various joints, internal organs might be inflamed, etc because of so much circulating blood calcium when the parathyroid glands lose control). My mom also had parathyroid disease and had two large parathyroid tumors removed, so we think it's a familial syndrome there are ones that cause tumor/hyperplasia growth ( but it's not cancer normally, just annoying hormone producing tumors).

With that said, I went through hell, and am dealing with acne and other unpleasant side effects or whatever this genetic disorder MIGHT be. We are sure that I might have remaining pituitary tumor to take care only one problem: the doctors are useless as usual, leaving me to just deal with treating each individual side effect on my own because they'll blame my symptoms on the weather, and random bullshit that can't be true.

So is Accutane potentially a BAD idea for me to take it? Probably. Other than these things, I am very healthy and have all my energy back now that the parathyroids are fixed. I exercise regularly and I'm a petite person not 100 lbs even. Parathyroid glands though have nothing to do with acne though, just the genetic syndrome itself with the predisposition to potentially grow endocrine tumors, which doctors HATE dealing with as they are too lazy. It's just I've spent so long with acne...it's almost more emotionally draining than any of the above I had suffered. I woulda been fine with getting all the above done...IF I didn't have acne! Sounds selfish, I know. You just feel so vulnerable with it and like it steals your freedom to be...well..you. And now that I'm back to normal in that regard and doctors won't help, I don't know what other options I have..they just want to treat symptoms separately and not the person as a whole. :

MemberMember
(@sunsetismellow)

Posted : 06/14/2013 6:21 pm

Wow i am totally relating to you right now! And im also debating whether to take accutane i actually already have pills.but havent taken it yet i keep staring at lol just debating whether to just take it or not! So far its been 3 days me just " thinkin about it" lol i just keep thinkin bout the scary side effects! :/

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/14/2013 9:59 pm

Life is worth living but if the side of the dice lands wrong you'll live with it for a potentially long time of misery. So I weigh my options accordingly. Just wish there was another method.

@ oli girl, my story's a long one I'll try to sum it up. I had parathyroid disease ( NOT thyroid related in anyway) they are 4 glands located in neck that control your blood calcium levels. Sadly not many people are aware they exist in our body. They had to be removed I had hyperplasia of them and I have half of one left that works. They are so important that you could potentially die if you didn't have them. I am also missing appendix/gallbladder because they let the disease go on for so long ( fucking doctors fought me every step of the way too. What happens if you leave parathyroid disease so long is calcification of various joints, internal organs might be inflamed, etc because of so much circulating blood calcium when the parathyroid glands lose control). My mom also had parathyroid disease and had two large parathyroid tumors removed, so we think it's a familial syndrome there are ones that cause tumor/hyperplasia growth ( but it's not cancer normally, just annoying hormone producing tumors).

With that said, I went through hell, and am dealing with acne and other unpleasant side effects or whatever this genetic disorder MIGHT be. We are sure that I might have remaining pituitary tumor to take care only one problem: the doctors are useless as usual, leaving me to just deal with treating each individual side effect on my own because they'll blame my symptoms on the weather, and random bullshit that can't be true.

So is Accutane potentially a BAD idea for me to take it? Probably. Other than these things, I am very healthy and have all my energy back now that the parathyroids are fixed. I exercise regularly and I'm a petite person not 100 lbs even. Parathyroid glands though have nothing to do with acne though, just the genetic syndrome itself with the predisposition to potentially grow endocrine tumors, which doctors HATE dealing with as they are too lazy. It's just I've spent so long with acne...it's almost more emotionally draining than any of the above I had suffered. I woulda been fine with getting all the above done...IF I didn't have acne! Sounds selfish, I know. You just feel so vulnerable with it and like it steals your freedom to be...well..you. And now that I'm back to normal in that regard and doctors won't help, I don't know what other options I have..they just want to treat symptoms separately and not the person as a whole. :

I am well versed about parathyroid! Though I don't have a parathyroid disorder, I do have Grave's hyperthyroid(autoimmune form) and one of things that are warned about if you decided to have surgery to have thyroid removed or radioactive Iodine there is caution regarding the parathyroid as though they are not related they are next door neighbors, in fact it lies just behind the wonderful butterfly thyroid, behind each wing, and share the same arteries and veins.

Just another reason you Should NOT in anyway take Accutane. As it can fuse bone, cause calcifications of tendons and bones, cause bone loss issues and so on!

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/19/2013 5:32 pm

I am well versed about parathyroid! Though I don't have a parathyroid disorder, I do have Grave's hyperthyroid(autoimmune form) and one of things that are warned about if you decided to have surgery to have thyroid removed or radioactive Iodine there is caution regarding the parathyroid as though they are not related they are next door neighbors, in fact it lies just behind the wonderful butterfly thyroid, behind each wing, and share the same arteries and veins.

Just another reason you Should NOT in anyway take Accutane. As it can fuse bone, cause calcifications of tendons and bones, cause bone loss issues and so on!

Yeah I was thinking about that. Ok I haven't taken it. The good news is It's a little better, and for some reason my "time of the month" is starting sooner. I've done a chemical peel this week with my doc and some dermabrasion ( it helps with the pain). I wish there was more I could do. I hope my latest doctor comes through and finds out what's up. Thanks for your advice oli girl. I also don't wanna lose my hair. I guess I'll continue my "preventative" diet and eat older foods that I want though.

I'm so surprised you're versed on the parathyroid. It seems anyone I talk to doesn't know their absolute importance. In fact, when viewing the "Repairing the Long Term Damage from Accutane" thread I noticed some posters had elevated calcium labs that resembled mine exactly. I wonder if Accutane is causing parathyroid disease.