Notifications
Clear all

Is 0.05% Retin-A Strong Enough For Acne On My Chest, Shoulders And Back?

MemberMember
(@spookywookiee)

Posted : 04/18/2013 7:30 pm

First of all, I'd like to say hello. I've been browsing the acne.org forums for a couple months now, but I decided it's time I made an account so that I can ask questions and hopefully provide feedback for others.

Anyways, back to my question. I was prescribed Retin-A 0.01% gel for my face and 0.05% gel for my chest, shoulders and back. The 0.01% gel for my face makes my skin flake, which I know is normal, and I also know it mean it's working. The 0.05% gel, however, doesn't make my chest, shoulders and back flake. It doesn't really seem to have an effect on my skin. Is 0.05% gel strong enough? Or should I ask for 0.1% when I see my doctor next month?

Thank you for any help! :)

MemberMember
(@shakabrah2)

Posted : 04/18/2013 10:18 pm

How often do you apply it? I have 0.05 for my face and it dries me out horribly, and I apply once every 4 days.

MemberMember
(@spookywookiee)

Posted : 04/19/2013 1:32 pm

How often do you apply it? I have 0.05 for my face and it dries me out horribly, and I apply once every 4 days.

I've been applying the 0.05% gel every night. 0.01% gel every other night.

MemberMember
(@shakabrah2)

Posted : 04/19/2013 8:42 pm

Do you experience serious dryness? I have to use it every 4 days or else it gets painful

I'd suggest maybe trying a little bit of 0.1 on your back to see how you react, and then asking your doctor about it if you decide that its working for you

MemberMember
(@spookywookiee)

Posted : 04/19/2013 9:04 pm

Do you experience serious dryness? I have to use it every 4 days or else it gets painful

I'd suggest maybe trying a little bit of 0.1 on your back to see how you react, and then asking your doctor about it if you decide that its working for you

I experience slight dryness. Sometimes itchiness due to the dryness, but nothing unbearable. I'll be sure to ask my doctor about 0.1% when I see him next. Thanks for your help!

MemberMember
(@bgarada)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:01 pm

I use 0.05 retin a for my back and it's very effective (knock on wood!). I have never ever peeled on my back but the cream is definitely working because i used to get maybe 3-4 inflamed pimples on my back at any given time and now i have zero. I have been using retin a at night along with BP 2.5 during the day for about 4-5 months and it has totally changed the skin on my back. I am very satisfied with the effect it has had on my bacne and i'll be using it religiously as long as i can. So the answer to your question is to keep using it because sometimes it works even though you do not peel. The skin on those parts of the body is thicker than the skin of the face and maybe no peeling occurs (at least with me it didn't). Wish you the best of luck!