Notifications
Clear all

Treatment That Does Not Cause Initial Breakout?

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/06/2013 4:23 pm

What are all the acne treatments that do not cause an initial breakout? I know antibiotics and non-retinoid topical creams usually dont; and accutane, birth control, spiro, and retinoid topical creams usually do. Am I missing any other non-over the counter treatments?

I am currently on my 2nd month of amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day and klaron lotion + benzamycin gel. I've experienced a horrific initial breakout on epiduo (bp + retinoid) that lasted 2 months and stopped when my dermatologist told me to stop using the epiduo (he said there is an IB but it shouldnt be thaat bad). Although my acne has gotten much better (healing from that epic IB), i am worried that it will return when i end my antibiotics regimen in a month. I believe my acne is mostly hormonal and i heard spiro is really good for that but I dont think i can handle the IB again. I know, I know, patience is a virtue and things get worse before it gets better but the psychological toll of dealing with the IB is something i do not think i can repeat. I am not the most mentally stable/confident person (diagnosed manic depressive, disordered eating, etc, etc) and im afraid another IB will drive me to the brink again.

What are my options (if i have any)?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/06/2013 5:54 pm

Hate to be the one to tell you this but you can't predict whether or not you'll experiencing purging from a product unless you try it. At the end of the day, any thing that is virtually clearing your pores/rapidly turning over your skin has a high probability of breaking out your skin.

You probably will have to address the mental side of things by maybe seeing a shrink/counselor while you try products.

Keep your head up though.

MemberMember
(@td203)

Posted : 03/11/2013 6:26 pm

I didn't realize amoxicillin could be prescribed for acne...I was on that for a whole week after I had my wisdom teeth removed and it totally cleared me up within three days. I was shocked lol although it made me super nauseous...as for medications that don't cause an IB, my derm prescribed me Benzaclin topical gel which also cleared me up within a week, no IB or anything. I even asked him before I started using it if it would make me purge and he said no. I've also used Duac and Acanya with no problems either.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/18/2013 2:11 pm

i never had an initial break out on antibiotics but almost always from stuff like topicals (purges the skin) and BCP except diane 35. I think its just the way most meds work. Even with laser treatments for acne and stuff, the first treatment, you can sometimes break out because everything under the surface comes out.

MemberMember
(@km03590)

Posted : 04/09/2013 4:03 pm

I've had initial breakouts with almost everything I've been prescribed, except accutane oddly enough. Never got IB and my skin cleared up within 2 weeks. What kind of acne do you have?