Notifications
Clear all

Severe Side Effects Have Left Me Suicidal

MemberMember
(@mes6890)

Posted : 01/17/2014 9:49 pm

Haha. You have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what would come out of your mouth if you went through what I've been through for the past six months. Real simple. And you don't have to tell me how much acne sucks - I obviously have a point of reference seeing as I felt it was time to pull the trigger on Accutane after eight years of deliberation. Let's move on from that.

Also noticing that your earlobes have thinned out as well as your eyelids? Honey, good luck attributing that to stress.

I only wish to give people a real example of what *could* happen from a mere 200 milligrams.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 01/17/2014 10:57 pm

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

MemberMember
(@nicolacat)

Posted : 01/18/2014 3:53 am

For the sake of keeping things simple enough for some posters to understand, it sounds as if you had an allergic reaction to the drug.

Like Megtree said, some people have trouble processing certain chemicals in their body. Accutane must be one of those chemicals for you.

It is good to know there is a supportive community here to question your mental stability because of an unfortunate adverse reaction.

Ain't life grand!?

All the best.

This is why I suggested she see a doctor. Nobody on a forum can say what the problem is, it could be mental, it could be physical, it could be something else the poster has taken or using? All I am saying when I see someone talking about their earlobes getting thinner because of 5 doses of accutane -alarm bells ring? If a person said I have only drank 2 pints of lager and now I have hepatitis of the liver...we would have trouble acknowledging that was the cause, if they said I have been drinking heavily for the last twenty years, well yeah maybe that was the problem. There is something else going on here. The main thing is the poor girl is very unhappy and that is not good so she needs to get help. I mentioned dysmorphia because it seems very common in people with acne and after mentioning the earlobes thinning.. well I can't imagine why anyone would even know that they were?? That is obsessing. But you are right I don't know its that anymore than you know if it is an allergic response to accutane. Its worth mentioning that things go wrong with the body anyway. As mentioned previously I was seriously ill pre accutane and had to have a kidney removed, no doubt that if that had happened after accutane I would be questioning if that was the cause? Its human nature to look for something to blame.

MemberMember
(@nignog)

Posted : 01/18/2014 5:57 am

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

MemberMember
(@sclippers)

Posted : 01/22/2014 4:20 pm

I'm proof that there's life after tane. I hope you all the best and I'd be open to hearing you out if that's what you feel you need smile.png

MemberMember
(@what1f)

Posted : 01/29/2014 6:19 pm

No one to blame but yourself for swallowing the pills every day, go see a physiologist and talk about your (Mental) problems.

Yea youre right. Cant blame the misleading doctors or roche for creating something so horrific. Something that they dont even understand. You think that people would take accutane if they were truly told what it could do, or even for the serious level of acne that it IS meant for. It should be outlawed. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies alike should face penalties ruining peoples lives beyond recovery

mes6890 liked
MemberMember
(@mes6890)

Posted : 01/29/2014 9:45 pm

Thank you what1f. Again, I wouldn't wish this on a soul, but I take solace in knowing with 100% confidence that all of the naysayers on here would change their tune if they could switch places with me.

I've said it before on here, but apparently it needs repeating - I take responsibility for taking Accutane, but it never should have been available to me.

I stopped taking it after five days, during which time side effects came on swiftly. I acknowledge that this kind of a reaction is rare.

So yes, I took it for five days after holding out on the drug for years and enduring aggravating skin and spending thousands on futile treatments. And yes, pulling the trigger on Accutane was a life-altering mistake. All I can do is hope that when I die, I am reborn and I am as perfect as "nignnog." In the meantime, I'll seek help from psychiatrists per your suggestion and run into brick wall after brick wall until I find a doctor who is well versed on some of the available studies on isotretinoin. And then that doctor will tell me what Accutane victims already know, which is that a "cure" for some of these varied side effects does not yet exist.

Don't worry, nignog, I blame myself. But there is plenty of blame to go around. Suppose I blame you for your ignorance of science and history.

That's all I have to say. I am sorry to everyone that safer acne treatments do not exist. Dermatologists' complacency with chemotherapy drugs and long-term antibiotics is lamentable.

MemberMember
(@accutainted)

Posted : 02/04/2014 4:40 am

I suffer from agonisingly chronic dryness and inflammation caused my accutane. The worst affected areas are around my mouth and nose, eyes, lips and scalp. Accutane gave me severe seborrheic derm on my scalp, it's constantly dry, greasy and flaky. My eye lids and lips are constantly are becoming inflamed. Like a previous poster said you can't easily these things in pictures but it is absolutely demoralising to experience these problems day in day out. I have been putting up with these problems for 8 years with no end in sight. The worst part of all this is I only had mild/moderate acne. I should not have been allowed to take such a dangerous poison, I had little to gain and everything to lose. Accutane is an incredible regulatory failure and should only be used by people with severe cystic acne. Accutane has not only ruined my skin but it has also caused severe joint and muscle problems, sexual problems and intestinal issues. Please don't let accutane ruin your life like it has mine.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/24/2019 1:41 am

On 1/30/2014 at 8:15 AM, mes6890 said:

Thank you what1f. Again, I wouldn't wish this on a soul, but I take solace in knowing with 100% confidence that all of the naysayers on here would change their tune if they could switch places with me.

I've said it before on here, but apparently it needs repeating - I take responsibility for taking Accutane, but it never should have been available to me.

I stopped taking it after five days, during which time side effects came on swiftly. I acknowledge that this kind of a reaction is rare.

So yes, I took it for five days after holding out on the drug for years and enduring aggravating skin and spending thousands on futile treatments. And yes, pulling the trigger on Accutane was a life-altering mistake. All I can do is hope that when I die, I am reborn and I am as perfect as "nignnog." In the meantime, I'll seek help from psychiatrists per your suggestion and run into brick wall after brick wall until I find a doctor who is well versed on some of the available studies on isotretinoin. And then that doctor will tell me what Accutane victims already know, which is that a "cure" for some of these varied side effects does not yet exist.

Don't worry, nignog, I blame myself. But there is plenty of blame to go around. Suppose I blame you for your ignorance of science and history.

That's all I have to say. I am sorry to everyone that safer acne treatments do not exist. Dermatologists' complacency with chemotherapy drugs and long-term antibiotics is lamentable.

Really happy for you. I took it when I had just joined college and was away from my parents, so I took it for about six months (40 mg for a month, then due to the dryness I requested a lower dosage so 20 mg for three months, and then on and off for another three). Needless to say, it has forever changed my life, but I am recovering little by little through some natural ways. In my case, it was clearly negligence by the doctor to hand this drug without requiring followups or blood tests or explaining how severe a drug it is.

Sorry. I didn't read your entire post but many people have taken it here for many months or years. So I was happy.

MemberMember
(@vladpredescu)

Posted : 03/24/2019 2:43 am

@User187201 Really breaks my heart to read your posts here and that (I hope that shitty period ended) you struggled with everything and that it ruined you. I can say the same about me in some ways. I hope everything is fine and I will be praying for you <3 . God bless 

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 03/24/2019 10:18 pm

https://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?174192-3/safety-accutane

Is anyone prepared to campaign -raisingawareness and getting prescriptions reduced?

We are doing our best but we really need victims to come forward.

It doesn't matter where you live - anyone can help.

Please PM if you are interested.

We raise awareness, we get recognition, we getresearchers looking fora cure!!

MemberMember
(@robertlove)

Posted : 03/30/2019 5:48 pm

Try SAM-E or Vitamin B12 for mental side effects.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 04/02/2019 9:19 am

On 3/31/2019 at 4:48 AM, robertlove said:

Try SAM-E or Vitamin B12 for mental side effects.

Using these supplements to combat post-Accutane side-effects destroyed me: [removed]

It took nearly 6 months to go back to feeling something close to the usual post-Accutane misery. The SAM-E and B12 put me in a much worse place.