Notifications
Clear all

Finally Starting Sept 10Th

MemberMember
(@billz7)

Posted : 08/27/2012 1:47 pm

I've broken out horrendous and it's only been 7 days on it :( lips r a tad dry but not properly yet but I have been experiencing muscle aches and a back ache now and then . Because I'm only 6 and a half stone she put me on 20mg for the first month as she does the first months dose based on your weight , I'm going up to 40 next month I think , I dunno if I'll be able to hack any higher haha but we're see !

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/27/2012 2:07 pm

uh oh =( did you have a lot of clogged pores when you started? or are these breakouts random?

and what is 6 and a half stones? =P

MemberMember
(@zodistarr)

Posted : 08/27/2012 9:20 pm

Hi-

someone just posted a question about IB and I posted this info in there I think it could help you tho...

I had a bad IB with all the antibiotics I was on and really really didn't want another one on the accutane. I did some research and asked my derm about what I could take with the accutane that would prevent this from happening (although they will tell you it doesn't happen with most people). She said (if I tolerated most meds well) I could piggy back prednisone with accutane for 2-3 weeks.

I took 7 small pills of prednisone for 3 days, then 6 for 3 days, 5 for 3 days, etc. I took the prednisone in the AM and 40mg of accutane in PM. On day 3 of accutane I felt 3 cysts forming in my chin they were painful but no one else could see them. They never fully formed and "came out". Since starting accutane (I am only 1 month in) I have had a few small bumps, but for the most part my skin has only improved. Right now as I type this I am almost 100% clear.

Also DO NOT PICK once you start this drug! The pimples heal very differently than normal. I picked at a small blackhead on day 5 and it took almost 2 weeks for it to heal. Just a warning sit back and let the accutane do it's thing (although I do spot treat if I get an individual small bump with epiduo)

I know the wait is long (it's the worse part!) but it will be Sep 10 soon!!!!!

Oh- and my fav concealer I use with a small brush:

[Removed]

I also use MAC pressed powder stays on very well and worth the $$

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 08/28/2012 6:25 am

thanks for the info! =)

i'm actually currently on prednisone. 3 pills a day for 7 days, then 2 pills or 7 days, then 1 pill for 7 days. so i'll still be on it when i start accutane. not sure if my derm will take me off or keep me on it to do what you said, prevent the IB from being too bad. i will definitely mention it. although, some people said i shouldn't be on this long because once you're off, you're more likely to get a flare up.

what about if you get a whitehead? can you at least pop them? i am bad when it comes to letting those go. but i can't walk around with dozens of them. i definitely don't want to scar!

keep me posted on your course =)

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 09/07/2012 7:51 am

3 MORE DAYS!!banana.gif

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/07/2012 1:32 pm

ahhh i know =) about time!!

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/10/2012 7:20 am

ughh i am so pissed off. i need a prior authorization before i can fill my prescription. which might take 24 hrs to a few days. so unless a miracle happens, i have to wait longer! wtf =(

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 09/10/2012 7:44 am

ughhh that stinks kell!! its sooo annoying that once you decide to start accutane, its such a process to get the pills! hang in there, you'll soon be on you way!

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 09/10/2012 11:13 am

It's the big day! I'm so excited for you! Is that weird? haha. Nah, I just know how thankful I am for this medication and as much as I like to bitch, it really is helping me so much. I wish I was a big girl and brave enough to have taken pictures of my skin before I started because it really is hard to see the improvement without having something to look back on. It's easy to forget how bad it was. But for real, I'm anticipating a little more dryness during the upcoming months but I hope (HOPE, HOPE, HOPE) that my breakouts have slowed down! Damn, I probably just jinxyed myself. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and rooting for you! Good luck and fear not...

cheer.gif < me cheering for you

~Celia <3

ughh i am so pissed off. i need a prior authorization before i can fill my prescription. which might take 24 hrs to a few days. so unless a miracle happens, i have to wait longer! wtf =(

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/10/2012 12:11 pm

Good luck, Kelli!! Keep us posted on your progress :)

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/10/2012 9:36 pm

ughhh that stinks kell!! its sooo annoying that once you decide to start accutane, its such a process to get the pills! hang in there, you'll soon be on you way!

thank you! yeaa it was a big bummer. i was pretty depressed all day. but crossing my fingers that tomorrow i get the phone call that i can pick it up and it's affordable!

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 09/10/2012 9:40 pm

Good luck picking up your prescription tomorrow! I'm excited for you to start and see how you get on smile.png

(I've heard the US system with ipledge and going to the pharmacy is a pain, but I have an appt tomorrow and I can only pick mine up on the day, in the hospital pharmacy, which is naturally in a different city and I always end up sitting there waiting for an hour surrounded by sick people. I thought that might make you feel less alone as it is a streeessss as well).

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/10/2012 9:49 pm

It's the big day! I'm so excited for you! Is that weird? haha. Nah, I just know how thankful I am for this medication and as much as I like to bitch, it really is helping me so much. I wish I was a big girl and brave enough to have taken pictures of my skin before I started because it really is hard to see the improvement without having something to look back on. It's easy to forget how bad it was. But for real, I'm anticipating a little more dryness during the upcoming months but I hope (HOPE, HOPE, HOPE) that my breakouts have slowed down! Damn, I probably just jinxyed myself. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and rooting for you! Good luck and fear not...

cheer.gif < me cheering for you

~Celia <3

WTF is right?!!!!!

I shoulda read this before I posted. Oh my gosh, that sucks so much. I'm sorry you have to wait. Don't worry, when it's all said and done a couple days won't matter.

I'm prayin' for a miracle for you (but I'm an atheist so I'm not sure it will do any good. haha)

aww thank you so much Celia! =) you are so sweet. I love the cheerleader lol!

Well hopefully tomorrow my insurance company will have gotten the prior auth. and let me pick it up! I went to the pharmacy today and just for shits asked what it cost. a little over $600!! I spoke to my insurance company on friday and they said after the pre auth it should be $85. guh. it better be true!

I know what you mean about not wanting to take pics. I never would be caught dead taking pics of my face without makeup, but that was before when i had like maybe 5 pimples at the most and i was insane about it. Now that I have full blown acne.. I want to be able to look back at the pictures and if I get a pimple in the future I can be like "well at least it's not like that anymore" instead of freaking out over a few zits. =)

How's your course going? I'm dreading starting this when winter is coming. Hopefully it's not as dry as it was on Dan's =/ I am going to glob moisturizer on.

Thank you again for all the support! Keep in touch =)

Good luck, Kelli!! Keep us posted on your progress smile.png

Thank you Julie =) I will be keeping a picture log as soon as I get started! How have you been?

Good luck picking up your prescription tomorrow! I'm excited for you to start and see how you get on smile.png

(I've heard the US system with ipledge and going to the pharmacy is a pain, but I have an appt tomorrow and I can only pick mine up on the day, in the hospital pharmacy, which is naturally in a different city and I always end up sitting there waiting for an hour surrounded by sick people. I thought that might make you feel less alone as it is a streeessss as well).

ugh it is a HUGE pain! i totally get why they do it... but i'm 26.. really! i think there should be some age limit for this. i had to take a long test over the phone with this very awkward automated voice that i could barely understand. i had to answer the most stupid questions before i can go pick up the prescription. oh well.

i just really want to go pick it up tomorrow i've waited long enough! i'm glad i'm not the only one but sorry you have to go through this crap too!

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 09/11/2012 2:12 am

Oh I hope its not that expensive for you! $600 ohno.gif

Those automated phone lines are the absolute worst too, that sucks so bad. I'm 23, and as my Dr was giving me booklet after booklet on 'don't get pregnant' warnings I kept thinking 'Oh for gods sake I've made it 10 fertile years without getting pregnant I think I can do 6 months woman'.

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 09/11/2012 8:04 am

I'm glad to hear that you can probably get your meds for less than you thought. Phew! What a relief, eh?

My course is going really well actually. I know I probably make it sound worse than it is on my log but I think it's because I'm looking for any little thing, good or bad, and agonizing over all of it. The fear of it not working is the worse feeling so whenever the slightest things seems off.....Well...It feels like it's never going to go away. The truth is, I am so glad I went on accutane and it REALLY IS WORKING! I'm always afraid that as soon as I say that, all hell will break loose on my face but seriously, it's slowly but surely getting better and the side effects are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be (yet :/ ). I haven't broken out as badly as I had been before I started (so no terrible IB) and I'm not too dry. The side effects are nothing that a little TLC can't manage. Aquaphor, CereVe moisturizer, neosporin and hydrocortizone are my best friends. I was actually much dryer when I was on Ziana.

Continued good luck to you :)

MemberMember
(@kmw423)

Posted : 09/11/2012 5:26 pm

Hey there,

So I picked up my prescription today!! Were you able to get yours? Since i have to take it twice a day at breakfast and dinner i've decided to wait til tomorrow to start proper. I am nervous, excited and a bit scared. Main concern is how much worse it's going to get before it gets better...uggggh! Also I kind of stink at remembering to take pills. I will be taking clavaris 60 mg a day for 5 months. I hope it worked out for you and we'll be starting at the same time! Let me know?

Kristen xx

PS...the blister packaging it comes in is out of control!! LOL

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 09/11/2012 6:40 pm

Hey there,

So I picked up my prescription today!! Were you able to get yours? Since i have to take it twice a day at breakfast and dinner i've decided to wait til tomorrow to start proper. I am nervous, excited and a bit scared. Main concern is how much worse it's going to get before it gets better...uggggh! Also I kind of stink at remembering to take pills. I will be taking clavaris 60 mg a day for 5 months. I hope it worked out for you and we'll be starting at the same time! Let me know?

Kristen xx

I am useless at remembering to take pills too! I bought a pill box which I keep in my handbag, the fact that I then see it 208539 times a day seems to remind me to take it. Plus I've added in a few vitamins too so theyre all in one place which is handy.

I got so excited when I saw a photo of the american blister packaging and how crazy it was...then I got mine and ours are just in normal foil packs, bit of an anticlimax

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/11/2012 8:19 pm

welllll it turns out my insurance doesn't wanna kick in until i reach my deductible. so i paid $613.99 today. =( =( =( next month i will meet my deductible, but my insurance policy renews december 1st, which will restart my deductible, therefore i will be paying out of pocket for 4 out of the 5 months. damnit! this better work. if i am clear when this is over, it'll all be worth it. i am afraid tho that once they increase my dose, i will be paying even more. i don't even want to know what it'll cost then.

swingin- where is your log? is it on the normal blogs or do i have to go somewhere to find it? i'd love to read it! i took a picture today so i have something to compare it to next week. glad to hear you're not too dry! i'm hoping i won't be either. i'd love it if i didn't have an IB =)

also what are you putting hydrocortizone on?

Hey there,

Kristen xx

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 09/12/2012 6:18 am

I'm sorry about you having to pay the full amount :(

If you go to my profile and click on "Topics" on the left, it will give you a link to my log "Kiss off Acne". It's just in the message board section of Accutane logs....Not a blog.

The hydrocortizone I use on the nasty little crack at the corner or my mouth. Just a tiny, tiny bit and only occasionally. Dr. Dan's Cortibalm has it as an active ingredient (and my Dr recommended it for my lips) so I thought why the heck not give it a try?

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/12/2012 8:02 am

ohh ok =P Thanks! I will check it out now. I still don't understand the packaging. I had to open it with scissors today! lol

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/12/2012 9:10 am

i just called walmart to see what the cost would be there.... $519. damnit! i should have never switched to target! they also carry claravis. does anybody know if it matters if i get a different brand next month?

MemberMember
(@kmw423)

Posted : 09/12/2012 10:27 am

So took my first pill today!! Wooohoooo! That price is absolutely outrageous, I can't believe you have to pay that much! I am sooooo sorry to tell you that I have blue cross and blue shield and payed $15.00 for my prescription and about $25.00 for the labs!

MemberMember
(@misslarry12304)

Posted : 09/12/2012 12:11 pm

Hi chick, I just wondered if you got it?? I started taking it yesterday. My skin was completely clear after a week in the sun in spain, this morning I woke up and have 12 small spots, nothing major, excited and a little scared. Im on 20 mg once daily for 2 weeks, then 2omg/40mg alternate days for two weeks then 40 mg for 4 weeks. I paid 7.65 for my 2 months worth as we have NHS and I managed to get it on that. Let me know how you are doing xx

MemberMember
(@whatthekell)

Posted : 09/12/2012 3:02 pm

So took my first pill today!! Wooohoooo! That price is absolutely outrageous, I can't believe you have to pay that much! I am sooooo sorry to tell you that I have blue cross and blue shield and payed $15.00 for my prescription and about $25.00 for the labs!

ughh i'm so jealous! i have a coupon i'm going to print out and take with me to walmart next month. hopefully this one works. but i'm expecting the worst =(

Hi chick, I just wondered if you got it?? I started taking it yesterday. My skin was completely clear after a week in the sun in spain, this morning I woke up and have 12 small spots, nothing major, excited and a little scared. Im on 20 mg once daily for 2 weeks, then 2omg/40mg alternate days for two weeks then 40 mg for 4 weeks. I paid 7.65 for my 2 months worth as we have NHS and I managed to get it on that. Let me know how you are doing xx

hey =)

i took my first pill last night. i popped probably 6-10 whiteheads before bed and 2 of them were really swollen like i didn't get all the puss out. and when i woke up they shrunk drastically! not sure if the accutane did that or not. but that never happens lol. i also normally wake up with 10 whiteheads but today i woke up with 2. but as i speak, i have a handful of whiteheads that developed throughout the day. i'm about to leave for work and have to go looking like this. definitely don't want to pop pimples right before work lol. so i'm dreading seeing anybody. i'm nervous too for what's to come. i'm really hoping it's nice to me and doesn't make things much worse!

i'm also on 20 mg but twice a day. keep in touch! =)

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 09/12/2012 6:49 pm

Holy Moly!! I can't believe how much they charge you for that medication. I would be rethinking my medical insurance for this next renewal as well. Keeping my fingers it works for you. Do you have Costco or Sam's Club out there? Maybe check with their pharmacy as well for price.