Notifications
Clear all

Best Generic Form Of Accutane?

MemberMember
(@aracon504)

Posted : 08/07/2012 5:11 pm

Obviously generic medications are supposed to have identicalactive ingredients to their brand named analogues. However, inactive ingredients can vary, and while this may not change the efficacy of the drug very much; I speak from experience that sometimes generics cause side effects/interact slightly differently then the brand or vice versa.

Some things that would be interesting to hear are:

(Cost differences between Amnesteem, Claravis, and Sotret): Are there any? Perhaps somebody who has filled more then one of these can chime in.

Claravis Cost: $661.08 (Walgreens) 40mg Qty:60

Amnesteem Cost: 661.08 (Walgreens) 40mg Qty: 60

For somebody who has done multiple courses of Accutane (so we assume it is being metabolized by the same body, and the only real difference is it being an additional course(s) and the generic form consumed- any difference in side effects? efficacy? benefit/detriment?

I have very mild acne, I had to practically beg a derm to give me Accutane (I HATE TOPICALS, they are no where near as effective, and a pain in the ass to apply, plus who likes having a film on their skin? I'm also extremely OCD- which makes the pill form much simpler).

My first course I used Claravis, I experienced only dry lips/dry skin. Never an abnormal lipid panel, normal cholesterol etc.My only complaint with the Claravis is that my skin only remained completely clear less than one month post treatment. It could have been due to other medications I was consuming, but no way to be sure.

I'm getting ready to do another course, perhaps I will stick with Claravis, but I could choose to use a different generic form...

Anybody who has wondered the same thing/used multiple forms of the generic, please chime in!

I provided the prices for Amnesteem/Claravis using my insurance drug cost look up (this is the total cost for the drug, not copay). For some reason their system does not find Sotret as an available drug (CVS Caremark).

MemberMember
(@candycouture)

Posted : 08/07/2012 9:55 pm

Hi aracon504,

I'm not so sure whether generics or the brand 'Accutane' have different side effects and results. Seeing that the main ingredient is all Isotretinoin I don't know how it could differ that much?

Anyways, I'm on a generic brand called 'Oratane' which I don't know if you can get in the US or wherever you are. I am in New Zealand. But price wise, with our public health system it is $3 NZD for a whole months supply. [Removed]

How long did you go on Claravis last time and what was your dosage? Check out some of the posts on here about dosage. Whether Isotretinoin stops future breakouts permanently depends on your total 'cumulative' dosage rather than how long you are on it - which is generally agreed to be between 125-150mg/kg. So if you were say 60kg, then as long as your reach say 7500-9000mg of total usage over your course, then that is the best chance to put acne into remission.

But if you have mild acne, then I think that as long as you reach the cumulative dosage of 125-150mg/kg of your weight, that should put it into remission. Generally those who have severe acne are the ones who have problems with future breakouts. But everyone is different and you can never know for sure.

Anyways good luck! Hope this was of help! :)

- Janelle <3

MemberMember
(@aracon504)

Posted : 08/08/2012 4:53 pm

On 8/8/2012 at 8:55 AM, ladyjaja said:

Hi aracon504,

I'm not so sure whether generics or the brand 'Accutane' have different side effects and results. Seeing that the main ingredient is all Isotretinoin I don't know how it could differ that much?

Anyways, I'm on a generic brand called 'Oratane' which I don't know if you can get in the US or wherever you are. I am in New Zealand. But price wise, with our public health system it is $3 NZD for a whole months supply. [Removed]

How long did you go on Claravis last time and what was your dosage? Check out some of the posts on here about dosage. Whether Isotretinoin stops future breakouts permanently depends on your total 'cumulative' dosage rather than how long you are on it - which is generally agreed to be between 125-150mg/kg. So if you were say 60kg, then as long as your reach say 7500-9000mg of total usage over your course, then that is the best chance to put acne into remission.

But if you have mild acne, then I think that as long as you reach the cumulative dosage of 125-150mg/kg of your weight, that should put it into remission. Generally those who have severe acne are the ones who have problems with future breakouts. But everyone is different and you can never know for sure.

Anyways good luck! Hope this was of help! smile.png

- Janelle <3

Thanks for the reply. I gather all of the generics marketed in the U.S. are the exact same. And yes, generally side effects should be 100% the same, as should results. However, inactive ingredients still have an affect on medications. Generic Xanax is much cheaper than its name-branded counterpart, but it will cause horrible hiccups- thus making brand preferable due to a variance in active ingredients.

As far as cumulative dosage, I was well within my cumulative dosing range on my first course, and it cleared me up very well. However, as I stated I had another drug in my system hCG post treatment that is NOTORIOUS for causing horrible acne flare ups (steroid users use this drug post a steroid cycle, and often have the same problem). It stimulates DHT production which in turn kicks your sabaceous glands into over drive. So I pretty much (logically) negated the effects of Accutane.

I am starting course #2 today, doctor called in 30mg. I feel that is EXTREMELY LOW...I weigh 150 lbs. I'm hoping that's just being cautious for a first month treatment to see how the lipid panel responds/prevent the horrible IB I had last time starting at 60mg and on month four increasing to 80 mg. I don't want to do this again, and want to reach the proper cumulative dosage without other drugs (human chorionic gonadotropin) skewing the results.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/04/2012 4:35 am

which drug were you on that negated the accutane effects?