Notifications
Clear all

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) And Retacnyl Tretinoin (0.05%) Since 29/03/2012

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 11/26/2012 10:22 am

@Laura: thank you for your compliment :) such kind words brought a smile to my face and really made my day! Have you tried tretinoin before?

@Jay: thank you so much for your kind words and support! I really appreciate your comments and constant support on this thread :) hope your current regimen is going well too! Are you using tretinoin too?

Week 30 update

I'm really excited because my complexion is looking better than ever, although the marks are still there on my left cheek and chin. I've been alternating between Rozex and Retacnyl every night. The metronidazole in the Rozex seems to be working - my skin is less red and much smoother than normal. I still use a pea-sized amount for both medications, and thirty-sixty minutes after moisturising with the Recovery Complex.

I made a few wonderful discoveries (wonderful and amazing to me at least!):-

100% pure Tea tree oil!!!

I am in love with the clean scent of this oil! I have been massaging a few drops it into my scalp, adding a few drops here and there into my shampoo, and using it as an aromatherapy in my room. My scalp feels so clean and fresh now, like all the bacteria and parasites have been killed. I see no harm in mixing it with shampoo and massaging my scalp thoroughly while cleaning my hair since it has been itchy and flaking, and rather oily lately. I just shampooed my hair with TTO and my scalp feels sooo clean, sooo fresh!!! :D

I don't use this directly on my face, though. After cleansing, I drop a few drops into a damp hot towel and just inhale the evaporated oil for a minute or so before continuing with my usual routine. Interestingly, studies have shown that TTO kills parasitic skin mites that release acne-causing bacteria. I have also read that demodex mites are linked to rosacea - the bacteria released by the dead mites cause skin to irritate and redden, sometimes in the form of bumps (which are not really acne). So I hope that the TTO will help with the redness. Nonetheless, TTO smells heavenly and I am loving it!

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 12/13/2012 12:51 am

8-month update:

Sorry for the late update, was busy with bar exams, and just came back from a camping trip :) I have been going totally makeup free for the past 3 weeks, and it is totally awesome. Not a single drop of makeup. My skin feels and looks amazing.

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 01/31/2013 8:34 am

So it's been 9 or 10 months?

I lost track. But I've been using the tretinoin about 3 times a week. Although things are way better, I am still suffering from a nasty bout of hormonal breakouts around my mouth area right now, and there's this solid raised red bump on my chin which hurts like crazy.

But the good news is, I'm no longer spending a lot of time in front of the mirror, because work takes my mind off acne. I've started a new job as a trainee lawyer in a firm, and my days are busy. My job also requires me to meet a lot of people each day, including clients. Serving them and thinking about how to solve their problems really take my mind off my skin. I no longer wear foundation, just mineral sunscreen and a few dabs of concealer. And some eye make up.

I've also learnt not to judge people based on their skin, because I've gone through a period of bad acne myself. Acne has taught me to view people very differently, not based on their complexion - but their heart. In fact, I find myself making the effort to treat acne-sufferers at my workplace more gently and kindly. I also make the effort to look people directly in the eye when talking to them, instead of scanning their face and scrutinising their skin - because I know how much it hurts when others do that to me.

I'll continue with with tretinoin for another 3 months (til' May) and see how it works out at the end of a year.

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 03/29/2013 12:59 am

End of 10 months

So it's been 10 months on tretinoin, and although things are not perfect (I still have faint acne marks on my cheeks and chin), everything is looking quite alright overall. Besides the fading marks, I only have two little spots. However, I'm sure that there's still room for improvement. I still use retacnyl at least 3 times a week.

For makeup, I've not been using any makeup skin-wise. I use Jane Iredale's dry sunscreen powder in the day (SPF 30) to protect my skin from getting sunburnt. I only use eye makeup and lipstick.

I've been having an extremely hectic work schedule but I've not been breaking out, thanks to the tretinoin. I hope that things will stay this way (fingers crossed) because stress does aggravate acne, from my years of exprience in struggling with it.

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 05/26/2013 3:35 am

End of 12 months cheer.gif

So it's been a year! I have been using tretinoin almost everyday lately, and my skin is soft, smooth and glowing. I'm pleased to report that as of now, I have no active breakouts. Although my skin isn't perfect, it has transformed over the year.

For the side effects, I still have a slight stinging sensation when putting on moisturizer, and peeling does occur regularly, but no longer noticeably - it does not peel off in sheets like it used to do so in the earlier stages of treatment. The redness that I used to struggle with is now replaced by a healthy rosy colour. I use my powder sunscreen religiously every single day although I work indoors.

For the past few months, my mother and my friends have been constantly complimenting me. They say that I have smooth, glowing, radiant, beautiful skin. I will be visiting my dermatologist in about a weeks' time for her to review my progress and to make changes to my regimen if necessary.

I will continue to use tretinoin for as long as I can. It has been a life-saver for me. For those on tretinoin, stick it out and be patient for it does work. Don't give up too early, and always remember that our looks will fade with age, but God sees our hearts. I have learnt that although it is good to take care of our appearance, it should not become the end goal in our lives.

MemberMember
(@janesecret)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:20 am

Rose, I,m really scared , I've first time tried tretinoids on my face after 2 days I felt burning sensation, and my acne marks became reddish, I really want to stop using retacnyl 5% wil Mathis have a side effect if I stopped the dosage? Will this lessen the redness on my face I'm scared. Please reply...thanks