Notifications
Clear all

Accutane: Vitamin A Sensitivity

MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 09/09/2011 3:04 pm

Hello,

I took Accutane nearly a year ago, and was taking a dose of 40mg every day (I believe). After a month I noticed I had pretty severe side-effects: Hairloss, severe back pain, skin really dry. I decided to stop taking the medication. I never fully recovered from the side-effects.

The problem now is that I am sensitive to animal forms of Vitamin A. If I eat anything containing it (eggs, dairy, fish, multivitamins) the symptoms I previously stated reappear at full force. Before taking Accutane, I could eat these things freely without any effects. I also have no problems eating plant sources of Vitamin A. In my mind, there are two possible things Accutane could have done:

- It is stored in my body to some extent

- It has changed the way my body reacts to Vitamin A

I'm hoping I can get some science wizes to help me figure this out.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 09/09/2011 3:25 pm

Well I can tell you that you are not alone. There are many suffers who have issues with Vit A after Accutane. I even remember reading 1 story where a suffer became deficent in Vit A, but could only have it injected.

There are many theories out there, such as being stored in the body, chaning the way your body reacts to Vit A and also possibly disrupting receptors.

I myself have problems w/ certian Vit A foods, please stay away from omega 3 supplements and as much fat soluble Vit A. Google it and you will find many just like yourself.

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 09/09/2011 3:30 pm

Well I can tell you that you are not alone. There are many suffers who have issues with Vit A after Accutane. I even remember reading 1 story where a suffer became deficent in Vit A, but could only have it injected.

There are many theories out there, such as being stored in the body, chaning the way your body reacts to Vit A and also possibly disrupting receptors.

I myself have problems w/ certian Vit A foods, please stay away from omega 3 supplements and as much fat soluble Vit A. Google it and you will find many just like yourself.

Good Luck

Thanks for replying.

I had started researching it a few days ago and was surprised at how many stories mimicked mine. I'm really interested in the science behind it. But I understand it's a mysterious drug. I was wondering if there's a place where I could be brought up-to-date on "recovering" from the side-effects (if there's any info out there)?

I've been taking Salmon Fish Oil supplements for a while now, and haven't noticed any ill effects. I'm guessing you mean I should stay away from Cod Liver oil? Otherwise, how could Fish Oil do any harm? It doesn't contain any Vitamin A to my knowledge.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 09/09/2011 9:21 pm

I'll send you a pm with info soon. I will have to do some deep digging for some of it! Cod liver god yes, but it has been known in the Accutane suffer population to have issue with omega 3's and some with fish oil dating back from the 90's....but if your not having problems worse symptoms etc... good..

MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 09/15/2011 7:35 pm

Thought I'd bump this. Does anyone else have Vitamin A sensitivity after Accutane? What are your thoughts?

I'll send you a pm with info soon. I will have to do some deep digging for some of it! Cod liver god yes, but it has been known in the Accutane suffer population to have issue with omega 3's and some with fish oil dating back from the 90's....but if your not having problems worse symptoms etc... good..
MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 09/30/2012 1:15 pm

I'd like to continue this discussion, as the problem still stands: Long after my Accutane treatment, eating foods containing pre-formed vitamin A (eggs, some fish, liver) causes severe side-effects.

Through research, it seems like the problem may have something to do with Accutane altering gene expression. The side effects mimic that of vitamin A defficiency.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 09/30/2012 8:41 pm

I'd like to continue this discussion, as the problem still stands: Long after my Accutane treatment, eating foods containing pre-formed vitamin A (eggs, some fish, liver) causes severe side-effects.

Through research, it seems like the problem may have something to do with Accutane altering gene expression. The side effects mimic that of vitamin A defficiency.

I can't remember did I ever pm you back in 2011? Have any of your other issues resolved?

MemberMember
(@bosnic)

Posted : 10/02/2012 10:12 am

You did send me the link, but it was still inconclusive.

Vitamin D supplementation helps tremendously with joint pain. Interestingly Vitamin A works to remove minerals from the bones, and vitamin D acts to bind them to bones. It's this balance that optimizes bone regeneration, restructuring, and overall bone health.

Vitamin A info:

http://www.westonapr...trial#dprotects

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/115/7/929.full.pdf

Accutane info (Do Ctrl-F and search for "Accutane"):

http://www.westonapr...it-of-happiness

I encourage everyone to read these. There is an interaction with Vitamin A/Retionoic Acid and Vitamin D in terms of gene signalling. I've been supplementing with 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily (in liquid drop form, because the oil increases bioavailability), and have been feeling much better.

I'm still very sensitive to Vitamin A. I strongly believe it's a problem with gene signalling. And now I'm researching possible ways to reverse it. One thing I thought of (although not backed by any science) would be to supplement strongly with ALL fat-soluble vitamins, EXCEPT vitamin A. This includes Vitamin D, E, K (Vit. D3, Vit E. must be mixed tocopherols, and Vit. K2). Along with this, getting plenty of sunlight because only this offers the full spectrum of vitamin D metabolites. The more I research the more I see that there is a relationship between many of these vitamins, interms of absorption and gene signalling.

jellyy liked