Notifications
Clear all

How long does it take for minocycline to work?

MemberMember
(@minouser)

Posted : 08/23/2011 6:41 pm

Just wondering, I've been on it for about a month with 1 100mg tablet a day. My doc prescribed me 3 cycles of 3 months (so i'm on the first month of my first 3 month cycle)

Anyone use this? I sometimes get queasy but just kind of stick through it as it isn't that bad, sometimes I just down a quick snack to get thru it if I'm feeling like crap.

So anyone on this before? I don't know the exact brand name, all i know is it's a nice generic that's pretty cheap :)

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 08/30/2011 5:50 pm

As someone who used Doxycycline for 18 months...I am not a fan of antibiotics. Not because they fail to work, Doxy kept my skin decently clear the entire time, but because it is dangerous to stay on antibiotics for a long period of time due to your body adjusting to the medications and say, if you needed antibiotics for a serious infection later on down the road they may be less effective.

I do not say that to scare you, but to make you aware. Either way, it is up to you and your doctor to figure out your best treatment plan. =) I would be patient throughout the first 3 months and see what the differences are. They should be pretty drastic considering minocycline is more powerful than doxycycline.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@minouser)

Posted : 09/13/2011 9:02 pm

As someone who used Doxycycline for 18 months...I am not a fan of antibiotics. Not because they fail to work, Doxy kept my skin decently clear the entire time, but because it is dangerous to stay on antibiotics for a long period of time due to your body adjusting to the medications and say, if you needed antibiotics for a serious infection later on down the road they may be less effective.

I do not say that to scare you, but to make you aware. Either way, it is up to you and your doctor to figure out your best treatment plan. =) I would be patient throughout the first 3 months and see what the differences are. They should be pretty drastic considering minocycline is more powerful than doxycycline.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, i know mino does cause stuff like blue gums so i'd rather stop after my second cycle or if it gets better on my first, then i'll try to stop and just stick with topical stuff, right now it feels like it's somewhat stopping the big pestering white heads from appearing but i still have the small bumps :/

oh well, just gotta wait i guess.

MemberMember
(@mrs-pizza)

Posted : 09/13/2011 11:50 pm

Hey :) I have been on Minocycline for about 5 months now, and it didn't fully clear up my acne without topical treatment to go along with it. It took me about six weeks to see visible results in my skin since it works from the imside out. I really like it and I'm not sure what my skin would look like without it-yikes! Ha ha! Anyway, I hope I helped!! :)

MemberMember
(@featherbriefcase)

Posted : 09/27/2013 10:53 am

I thought they were working, I was prescribed minocycline 100 mg once a day three months ago and I'm still breaking out. I hate it. I use BP and Erthyromycin topical during the day and tretinoin at night, both of which I have been using for years to no avail. I have an appointment with the dermatologist next week and I am going to go for Accutane. I'm so sick of dealing with acne, it interferes with my ability to live life to the fullest. I hate it.