Notifications
Clear all

Differin Avoiding Initial Breakout

MemberMember
(@salonjade1)

Posted : 08/19/2011 1:50 am

I was put on Differin 0.1 gel by my dermatologist for nighttime use and a topical cream to use in the morning. I've read everywhere about an initial breakout with differin and was wondering if there is any way to avoid it. My dermatologist didn't say anything about an initial breakout when he prescribed it to me and I was wondering if this is becasue the topical cream will help me to avoid it. I've been using differin for 3 days now and I can't say that I have a lot of new pimples on my face. I really dont have that bad of acne, I was just prescribed differin for the blackheads on my nose btw and to help clear up minor acne scars.

MemberMember
(@cloudscloudsclouds)

Posted : 08/19/2011 2:48 pm

Hello, I don't really know how to avoid it, but I can only say that I used Differin in the past and had no IB at all. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@love-yourself)

Posted : 08/28/2011 11:56 pm

Lucky me, I never got an initial breakout using differin! My skin is almost completely clear just after 3 weeks of use, good luck though!

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 08/30/2011 5:59 pm

No, there isn't any way to avoid the initial breakout because it is a simple matter of biology. If your acne has penetrated several layers of your skin, the differin will slowly "thin" out the layers, and what is below will be brought to the surface. This is a slow process and can honestly take up to the 12 weeks it states in the directions that come with the product. For me, when I used it, it took closer to 20. The other factor is cellular regeneration. Your skin cells go through a monthly cycle and that is why many people do not experience the "dreaded IB" until weeks 4-6.

Now, it is possible to not have an initial breakout, but that would be dependent on the inner layers of your skin. Remember, your skin is the largest organ of your body, things are entirely more interconnected than most of us realize. I even forget at times.

Good luck and let us know how our skin progresses. Oh and...be patient! =)

MemberMember
(@cuppajoe)

Posted : 09/09/2011 12:12 am

you can't avoid it, but it honestly isnt that bad. It's not like an accutane IB! mine lasted 2-3 weeks though. But you just need to deal with it.

MemberMember
(@melissa6980)

Posted : 10/01/2011 8:52 pm

If you're not breaking out that bad now, maybe you won't having any problems with an initial breakout. I was on differin and doxy and if I broke out worse, it was only a little bit, and I had cystic and regular inflammatory acne when I started using it. If you start having any problems, you can ask the derm for an antibiotic to get you over the first few months. But, you may not have any problems.

MemberMember
(@mike123xx)

Posted : 10/29/2014 3:14 pm

Yeah so I just turned 24 had a horrible out break big sor ones on my jaw line neck area where i shaved and some bumps on my lower cheecks mostly right side. I have super senstive skin and i have tryed everything!!!! spend hundreds on dallors on face washes,mask, toners ect...applie cidar vingar took dairy and wheat out of my diet 2 years ago less surgar drank gallon water every day everything!!! nothing seem to work!!!! it got to the point i was depressed...stopped working out stopped going out with frinds even quit my job.....i was in a bad state still recoving from it as we speak...i went the derm. she gave my MINCYCOLIN 100MG AN DIFFERIN....neadless to say i had a allergic reaction to MINOCYCLINE. and had to stop after 2 pills sersously it was bad!!!! i starting Differin again i used it in 2006 i remeber i used it again around end of this september 2014 in the beginning it healed excisting acne marks fairly fast dryed them out like crazy! i had alot of dry skin on my lip mouth area as well as my cheecks and nose...my forhead was fine...i had a bad breakout 2 weeks into it...it was so bad i did research i heard about IB. it gave me hope...im now in week 3. thingd are starting to look better but not where i want it to be i hope in the next week i see more progress i also useing Clindamycin now to and taking 25mg Zoloft for my depression and eating more to give my body good nutrion to help healing process..i also drink green tea 3-5 times a day somtimes more when my face is clear i plan to go to the gym again and start my regimin up and stick with differin and clindamyci and zolft i will be posting in 2-3 weeks the pic i had on my profile was taken August before my break out but i broke out off and on since June...last winter and this summer i was mostly clear few on my forhead but from my hair gell...i know people pain when it comes to insacurites i deal with it alot...i understand i like to talk to people about it i can tell you that taking vitamins wont work!!!! i tryed that to!! it makes it wores maybe only Vitamin E but thats it and Vitamin C in the fall and winter and dont use tonners or lotions on your face only use water. when your face is dry it was aborbe it if you let it air dry. im all ears for support and advice,...over and out!

Mike