Notifications
Clear all

Repairing the long-term damage from Accutane

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 03/11/2015 11:07 am

Nice post Nick.

It's worth noting that simple and inexpensive blood tests can be used to check for pernicious anemia.

MemberMember
(@cbar1516)

Posted : 03/11/2015 3:32 pm

Anyone had B12 shots?

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 03/12/2015 1:40 pm

A new investigation of Accutane's effects revealed highly abnormal hormonal changes in 105 patients!
It drastically lowered Tetosterone, Growth Hormones, and Thyroid hormones.
SHBG was sent through the roof. Not good.
"Safe" and effective acne treatment, right?
There is also quite a bit of discussion about Androgens, Androgen Receptors, Growth Hormone, and FOXO1 in this article:
A. S. Karadag, Z. Takci, D. T. Ertugrul, S. G. Bilgili, R. Balahoroglu, and M. Takir, The Effect of Different Doses of Isotretinoin on Pituitary Hormones, Dermatology, vol. 0, no. 0, Feb. 2015.

In conclusion, this study showed that ISO treatment with high- and low-dose regimens led to significant changes in various hormone systems, which may be beneficial for acne lesions. The effectiveness of ISO treatment diminished [8,9] in line with hormonal changes in the intermittent-dose group, which suggests that a cumulative dose of ISO may be important for these hormonal changes. These changes in various hormone systems may be one of the mechanisms of action of ISO treatment.
MemberMember
(@wecangetbetter)

Posted : 03/12/2015 7:37 pm

how do you rebuild up testosterone that was lost? i really think we can get better, its just going to be hard work, rest, and a huge shift in attitude.

MemberMember
(@mike-san)

Posted : 03/13/2015 2:54 am

Great find...that certainly correlated with what I experienced. I used to go to the gym and have plenty of muscle and that all stopped since accutane. I have had struggle maintaining weight and energy is just down.

MemberMember
(@accutainted)

Posted : 03/13/2015 3:09 am

A new investigation of Accutane's effects revealed highly abnormal hormonal changes in 105 patients!It drastically lowered Tetosterone, Growth Hormones, and Thyroid hormones.SHBG was sent through the roof. Not good. "Safe" and effective acne treatment, right? There is also quite a bit of discussion about Androgens, Androgen Receptors, Growth Hormone, and FOXO1 in this article: A. S. Karadag, Z. Takci, D. T. Ertugrul, S. G. Bilgili, R. Balahoroglu, and M. Takir, The Effect of Different Doses of Isotretinoin on Pituitary Hormones, Dermatology, vol. 0, no. 0, Feb. 2015. http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/375370

In conclusion, this study showed that ISO treatment with high- and low-dose regimens led to significant changes in various hormone systems, which may be beneficial for acne lesions. The effectiveness of ISO treatment diminished [8,9] in line with hormonal changes in the intermittent-dose group, which suggests that a cumulative dose of ISO may be important for these hormonal changes. These changes in various hormone systems may be one of the mechanisms of action of ISO treatment.

Would love a one year follow up study on those people!! Do hormones levels stay suppressed or return to baseline??

MemberMember
(@cbar1516)

Posted : 03/14/2015 6:22 pm

Hey guys. Update.

I'm guinea-pigging! Got myself a prescription for B12 shots, and will be administering one a week for 12 weeks. If we do suffer from something like pernicious anaemia then this should definitely improve symptoms. I've taken Multi-B complexes for months without benefit, but if our guys aren't able to properly absorb vitamin B then that's to be expected. Also in the process of tracking down some roids, so that should be my next experiment. I'll keep you posted!

Nick Ryan liked
MemberMember
(@m0fo)

Posted : 03/15/2015 2:25 pm

Hey guys, update:

I'm on my second day on the Dr. L. Wilson protocol supplements (removed) and it looks very promising. I'm on the diet for some time (no wheat/gluten, sweets, fruits, nightshade vegetables etc.) and yesterday I started the supplements. He says they are better quality than most and somehow I can tell.. usually I don't feel any difference and I tried.. hundreds of supplements, also his nutritional balancing science is different than just getting lots of supplements in the body with the hope something happens. Basically he does a hair mineral test and from the mineral ratios he can tell what's wrong and from his experience knows what must be fixed first. In my case the most important problem is a "four lows pattern" - [removed] .. also I have some copper imbalance and nickel toxicity and others but this is the most important. To fix this imbalance the suggestions are: Kelp (you can take the Nature's way on iherb) also TMG you can get on iHerb and Paramin (contains Calcium, Magnesium and a little vitamin D), Taurine GB-3 (contains OX Bile Pancreatin and black raddish - taken with meal for digestion) and Zinc which are from Endomet labs and you can only take them from there. I suppose many don't want to pay for a test and for the expensive supps but maybe you want to try the diet and maybe some pills with simillar ingredients so maybe we can find a general fix for the people looking for an answer on this board.. There are so may pages and nothing real.. only cannabis oil and somehow I doubt that is the real solution (I tried some CBD oil also). Also I do most of his detox protocols daily: red lamp sauna, coffee enemas and a meditation.. (I think the meditation is really important even tho I mention it lastly, mostly because I suppose not everybody is into this stuff.. but I doubt an accutane survivor is too picky when we're talking about anything on this earth with a potential for healing).

I have enough english skills to know my english sucks.

Good luck guys (I know you need it the most because you have or used to have a d12k) and girls!

MemberMember
(@tanedout)

Posted : 03/16/2015 6:17 pm

Anyone ever tried eating a diet high in sorghum grain? Interestingly it has been found to increase 5AR activity in studies (and by a marked amount too - >50%!). The article below includes some links to studies, and the graph in figure 2 is interesting - comparing the effects of various 5AR inhibitors (shows finasteride etc, unfortunately isotretonin isn't included, however we know its a potent inhibitor up there with fin/dustasteride etc).

[Edited link out]

I've looked to see if anyone on the propeciahelp forum has tried this, and there is a short thread on this and one person did apparently try a sorghum extract, but only for a short period so pretty inconclusive.

Sorghum grains are apparently often used in gluten free items like breads. Anyone bake their own bread and have access to sorghum grain flower? If so it might be worth trying a diet high in sorghum and see if you notice any improvements! Removing gluten from your diet has helped some people, so going gluten free and eating lots of sorghum grain products could well be worth a go?..

MemberMember
(@09eric09)

Posted : 03/16/2015 6:47 pm

Anybody else have bone density problems? 2 years since my last dexa scan and my bone density is still decreasing.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 03/17/2015 4:43 pm

There is no end to it:

H. Aksoy, L. Cinar, G. Acmaz, U. Aksoy, T. Aydin, U. E. Vurdem, L. Oz, O. Idem Karadag, and D. Kartal, The Effect of Isotretinoin on Ovarian Reserve Based on Hormonal Parameters, Ovarian Volume, and Antral Follicle Count in Women with Acne, Gynecol Obstet Invest, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 7882, 2015.

Conclusion: Our study is the first to analyze the levels of serum AMH, AFC, and OV together in patients treated with oral isotretinoin for acne. The results of our study demonstrated that oral isotretinoin had a significant negative effect on ovarian reserve.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/18/2015 10:35 am

I am revising my update 75 % recovery is a more realistic number and it's were I am at . After all the B.S I have been trough with this SYNTHETIC DRUG I consider that quite good . The 25% damage is not repairable I realized that now after all these years . But I am counting my blessings things could be worse and trust me they have been much much worse. The brain fog and hair loss are permanent I realized that now thanks Accutane.

Accutane has taught me a lesson in what Allopathic medicine is capable of , it is BARBARIC , PRIMITIVE AND CORRUPT and to be honest it needs to go away fast humanity needs to embrace nature again like we have for thousands of years with great success . Allopathic Inc has MAIMED / KILLED more people than all the wars COMBINED....FACT. Hippocrates said " Our food should be our medicine and our medicine our food " . Wise words from a GREAT ancient healer . Like I have said many times before you guys should go to Natural News web site if you want to really learn something .

MemberMember
(@cbar1516)

Posted : 03/18/2015 5:05 pm

Hey guys. Had two B12 shots administered this week and I do believe they're helping (with fatigue, muscle/joint aches, and that "fragile" feeling). Worth trying !!

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 03/18/2015 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing Cbar.

I've used oral supplementation of vitamin B6 and B12 for years to get me through rough work days and long nights of studying.

I never had any blood tests showing B-vitamin deficiency, and the energetic effect seems to wear off with regular use, but we take what little relief we can get.

MemberMember
(@walden-rev)

Posted : 03/19/2015 2:49 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10570558/

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/19/2015 6:12 pm

ACNE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DIET - WRONG , if you are acne prone it has EVERYTHING to do with it , best article I have ever read on acne and I have read a few.

go to , http://nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031100puacne.htm

Derms will tell you food / diet has nothing to do with acne so they can sell there TOXIC drugs / anti-life-biotics , BUT reality is much different. From mild to severe acne ALL can be healed and quite easily I might add.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/21/2015 9:43 pm

Isotretinoin = Modern day witchcraft lol.. a good way to mess up your entire body , in the near future it will be CRIMINAL ACT to administer chemotherapy or radiation to any man , woman , child EVEN animal . This is nothing more than battery acid and cell destroying magnetics respectively . Man is willing to kill over the fate of an embryo (cells) in case of abortion , but we readily accept the use of CHEMO / RADIATION which KILLS CELLS , good and bad cells alike . IT'S PRIMITIVE , IT'S BARBARIC , IT'S ALLOPATHIC INC and to be quite frank it needs to go away A.S.A.P before more lives are DESTROYED .

macleod liked
MemberMember
(@walden-rev)

Posted : 03/22/2015 5:06 am

"Oral vitamin A replacement was instituted with resolution of his visual symptoms in 6 months. Isotretinoin therapy was successfully continued with no deterioration in liver function. Isotretinoin has been reported to cause deterioration in night vision. In vitro evidence suggests isotretinoin may interfere with the processing of endogenous vitamin A in the retina. This case highlights the need for careful monitoring of serum vitamin A status in patients with malabsorptive states on isotretinoin therapy."

They talk about malasorptive states. So get your gut together.

Anyone has a clue what the ""Oral vitamin A replacement was instituted with resolution of his visual symptoms in 6 months." means ?

Did they ingest Vitamin A in a different way ? Or a different type of vitamin A ?

I got a new batch of colostrum so i will continue that and keep you updated.

MemberMember
(@dubya_b)

Posted : 03/25/2015 2:41 pm

Totally agree. Acne is attributable to both genetic and environmental variances but once a certain genetic threshhold is met, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it by way of diet changes.

For some reason many of those who have had success ridding themselves of acne by changing their eating habits suddenly become self-proclaimed experts of all human physiology and know what you are doing wrong. Basically, full of shit.

The same goes for those who have had good luck with Accutane and refute severe side-effects experienced by others.

Until this drug is recognized for being as dangerous as it is, a truly safe and effective acne treatment will not be developed to replace it.

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 03/26/2015 4:23 am

The sad thing is that this medication (which many of you claim gave you this side effects) is the only real cure for acne, but it doesn't even seem to work for everyone. My looks are destroyed from years of acne and you can believe all of the herbal bullshit you want but none of that works to get rid of treatment resistant acne. It's a permenant skin disease for some unlucky people and it ruins your looks and destroys your self-image (I know I look like shit but people remind me on a regular basis of how awful I look and try to give their two cents like "drink more water" or "take proactive" as they just finished their greasy McDonalds meal and still have perfect skin). It's all about having shitty genetics, which you have no choice in the matter. My dermatologist told me years ago that nothing would work to clear up my acne except for Accutane and he was right, it never got better since then despite all of the effort I put into controlling it. I still never took it because of the side effects I hear about.

There is no "cure" for acne, but you are right, Accutane, out of all the available treatments, manages to suppress a human's sebaceous glands and pores the best. And yes, acne is a genetic predisposition! So, knowing that, you can guess how Accutane works. In fact, that's why we're here on this forum...Because during that process of of Accutane "curing" our acne, adverse events happened to us on a cellular, genetic, and hormonal level.

I love how unreasonable we afflicted Accutane forum users are portrayed to be, despite all of our given circumstances, we still have the fortitude to deal with not only our afflictions, but the potential harm for others. A true testament to human nature.

I don't think any of us deny the existence of severe nodular acne and the stigma it can cause. In fact, we would encourage anyone with such severe cases to be treated medically. But in regards to Accutane, this is simply not the case. This powerful drug was marketed to the general public, 70% of the market with mild to moderate acne at best. Most of us included. Unknowing of the risk we were taking at the time...

Anyways, I don't really see the point of your post. Poking a stick at a bunch of dying corpses? So, I'll leave you with some personal experience.

I'm a bit of a nerd, and I've always been attractive, but now I have clear skin. So, I am approached much more by women. And let me tell you, it's not a good feeling to be used for your looks. I would trade it all for a true connection in a heart beat.

I have memories of dating one particular girl, back when I had acne, and I would cringe when my acne would flare up, and I had to go out on a date with her... but you know what, she liked me the same. In fact, I would argue that having acne, was a sure way of finding out who liked you for you.

But please, by all means, don't adhere to our warnings. Find a doctor who will give you your cure. I really could care less either way. One positive thing (aside from 90% acne free skin) that Accutane has given me, was the realization that human life is very finite.

Artaemis and il90 liked
MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/26/2015 10:43 am

I think it's a crime to hand out isotretinoin for people with mild acne , that's what happened to me , these derms don't even deserve a job. Giving someone battery acid ( CHEMOTHERAPY ) for mild acne is indeed criminal .

Artaemis and Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 03/27/2015 2:10 am

Yeah, Gladiatoro. The medical industry has always been corrupt. They doctors used to inject certain people with diseases in the previous centuries here in the U.S. Today, they are trying to force vaccines on everyone, which makes people sick more often than it actually saves anyone. The one year I got a flu shot was the sickest year of my life. And Acne created a cease pool of "medicines" that "help" people. An industry worth billions.

MemberMember
(@gladiatoro)

Posted : 03/27/2015 9:05 am

Don't even get me started on toxic vaccines , injecting poison into your bloodstream is barbaric and primitive and cures NOTHING. Remember the body runs on nutrition , clean water , proper hygiene NOT toxic drugs / vaccines.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@a2person)

Posted : 03/27/2015 2:41 pm

NF Continued!

Speficially, I'm curious about an NF protocol that can address the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC). Again, I've done 137 sessions at sites c3 and c4 and I have not YET directly trained the frontal cortex. Thus, I've schedule an appointment with my Neurofeedback doctor to begin prefrontal and frontal cortex training on April 3rd.

1). Look at this study that show how accutane messes up the OFC...

Am J Psychiatry. 2005 May;162(5):983-91.

Functional brain imaging alterations in acne patients treated with isotretinoin.

Author information

• 1Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory Center for Positron Emission Tomography, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA. jdbremn@emory.edu

Erratum in

• Am J Psychiatry. 2008 Dec;165(12):1614.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Although there have been case reports suggesting a relationship between treatment with the acne medication isotretinoin and the development of depression and suicide, this topic remains controversial. In order for isotretinoin to cause depression, it must have an effect on the brain; however, the effects of isotretinoin on brain functioning in acne patients have not been established. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of isotretinoin on brain functioning in acne patients.

METHOD:

Brain functioning in adults was measured with [(18)F]fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography before and after 4 months of treatment with isotretinoin (N=13) or an antibiotic (N=15).

RESULTS:

Isotretinoin but not antibiotic treatment was associated with decreased brain metabolism in the orbitofrontal cortex (-21% change versus 2% change for antibiotic), a brain area known to mediate symptoms of depression. There were no differences in the severity of depressive symptoms between the isotretinoin and antibiotic treatment groups before or after treatment.

CONCLUSIONS:

This study suggests that isotretinoin treatment is associated with changes in brain functioning.

2. Also, guys, here is a study showing that the OFC can be responsive to Neurofeedback (NF) training.

Transl Psychiatry. 2013 Apr 30;3:e250. doi: 10.1038/tp.2013.24.

Orbitofrontal cortex neurofeedback produces lasting changes in contamination anxiety and resting-state connectivity.

Author information

• 1Department of Biomedical Engineering, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA.

Abstract

Anxiety is a core human emotion but can become pathologically dysregulated. We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) neurofeedback (NF) to noninvasively alter patterns of brain connectivity, as measured by resting-state fMRI, and to reduce contamination anxiety. Activity of a region of the orbitofrontal cortex associated with contamination anxiety was measured in real time and provided to subjects with significant but subclinical anxiety as a NF signal, permitting them to learn to modulate the target brain region. NF altered network connectivity of brain regions involved in anxiety regulation: subjects exhibited reduced resting-state connectivity in limbic circuitry and increased connectivity in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. NF has been shown to alter brain connectivity in other contexts, but it has been unclear whether these changes persist; critically, we observed changes in connectivity several days after the completion of NF training, demonstrating that such training can lead to lasting modifications of brain functional architecture. Training also increased subjects' control over contamination anxiety several days after the completion of NF training. Changes in resting-state connectivity in the target orbitofrontal region correlated with these improvements in anxiety. Matched subjects undergoing a sham feedback control task showed neither a reorganization of resting-state functional connectivity nor an improvement in anxiety. These data suggest that NF can enable enhanced control over anxiety by persistently reorganizing relevant brain networks and thus support the potential of NF as a clinically useful therapy.

Also....here's something a bit more speculative, but it fleshes my hypothesis out more!

"Serge Stoleru, a neuroscientist at Pierre and Marie Curie University in France, published one on sexual desire in 2003. He and his colleagues showed a series of pictures and filmssome erotic, some ordinaryto 15 men. To record the activity in the subjects brains, the scientists used PET scans: They injected radioactive tracers into the volunteers and then tracked how the tracers moved in the brain. The radioactive signal accumulated in areas where neurons became active, as their energy was replenished by the surrounding blood vessels.

Eight of the men were ordinary, sexually speaking. The other seven suffered from hypoactive sexual desire disorder. People with this condition rarely experience sexual desires or fantasies. Stoleru and his colleagues found clear-cut differences between the two groups. In particular, a patch of neurons near the front of the braina region called the medial orbitofrontal cortexwas active in the desire-impaired men but quiet in the normal ones." -source: http://discovermagazine.com/2009/oct/10-where-does-sex-live-in-brain-from-top-to-bottom

A Very A2Person Gameplan 2015:

The OFC site sounds promising but it sounds more in line with sexual desire than sexual/physiological arrousal. I'm also planning to do NF training for my amygdala at site: FP02 (5-9 minutes rewarding 8-11 hz and inhibiting 0-6 hz) in line with S. Fisher's protocol. It only takes a few sessions to see if I'm on the right track!

~A2

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 03/27/2015 4:23 pm

A2Person, on 27 Mar 2015 - 13:59, said:

Neurofeedback is a non-invasive, non-medical way to train our brains. There has been a lot of conversation on this thread about other pharmacological interventions as a way to reverse the neurological effects of accutane.

Welcome A2. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try this NF. We are all open to new ideas and have not much to lose at this point. Some of my sides are neurological related. I am willing to give it a shot over prescription meds for sure.

Gladiatoro, on 26 Mar 2015 - 11:47, said:

I think it's a crime to hand out isotretinoin for people with mild acne , that's what happened to me , these derms don't even deserve a job. Giving someone battery acid ( CHEMOTHERAPY ) for mild acne is indeed criminal .

I hear you Gladiatoro. But you have to look at the bigger picture. I don't really blame my dermatologist. He's an old guy from a different era and doesn't really know what he's doing. Sure, it would of been nice for him to stay in the loop of the potential side effects and say "wait a minute, this kids acne is mild, lets hold off a couple of years, why risk the 5%" But again, he was an old fart, and follows the industry trend and the market sent down from the higher ups.

Studies from 1985 - 2003 showed over 12 million people were treated with Accutane. Around 97% had a predictable outcome of temporary side effects like lower back pain, dry lips, and flaky skin, some nosebleeds, and headaches. All temporary while on the treatment. 3% or slightly more were recorded having a wide spectrum of side effects, ranging from neurological to physical, temporary to permanent. And that was a study up until 2003. Hoffman La-Roche had the full patent and continued to sell it up until 2009-10. I feel like it became a bit more popular during the final years of its sales (2003+). I estimate around 20 - 25 million worldwide have been treated. Now, unfortunately for us we happen to be apart of that 3 - 5% (750,000 people). Remember some don't even make the correlation right away since it could be months, even years before a side effect shows up.

Corporate mentality wise and business wise, a 95%+ success rate is amazing, I can see why they shouldn't hesitate to sell it and market it. I'm just disappointed that the FDA would allow it to be sold after 2003 knowing that if this drug was sold to the general public (mild acne) that up to 5% of 20+ million could be affected adversely permanently. So, there was either some incentive through taxes and financial pull to continue the sale, or for research purposes on the affect's of isotretinoin. I actually read a report a long time ago that the health ministry of Japan banned Isotretinoin sales in the country in early 2000's. So that's something to think about. As far as where we should point the blame..