Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro without insurance

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 10/07/2009 4:12 pm

If you're American and you're uninsured, or if, like me, you have an insurance company which won't cover Retin-A Micro, this message is for you.

I went to a couple of pharmacies in my town (in North Carolina) when I was looking to have my prescription filled. The first one offered to sell me a 20 gram tube of 0.1% for $98, and the second sold me the same for $92 (or $4.60 a gram).

When I began to run low on Retin-A Micro, I started to look for pharmacies online which could fill my prescription legally* and for a lower price, and I found one in Ontario which looked promising. I printed out the form for my dermatologist to fill out and fax, and I went to his office to ask him to send my prescription to Canada (I must admit that I was a bit nervous because I thought he might not believe that it was legal, or that, even if he didn't doubt its legality, he would still be suspicious enough of the Canadian pharmacy to refuse my request).

Fortunately for me, though, my dermatologist's office contacted me later to let me know that they were going to fax the prescription. The 20 gram tube of 0.1% goes for $28.79 ($1.43 a gram) at the Canadian pharmacy, and the 45 gram tube goes for $45.94 ($1.02 a gram). My dermatologist wrote a new prescription for me so that I could order the larger tube. The shipping and handling charge is about $17 per order (not per item). 6 days after placing my order (I was told that the first order would take 10-15 days to arrive), I received my Retin-A Micro gel from Ontario! For the 45 gram tube of gel, I paid $63.07 (and that's including the shipping and handling charge). Plus, the customer service was wonderful. :)

So remember that it's possible to save some money by ordering meds from a good pharmacy in Canada. Obviously, though, if you want to order a prescription medication from any other country, you should exercise caution and do some research beforehand to make sure that it's legal and that the pharmacy is reputable.

Best of luck to you all.

*Yes, you can obtain some prescription medications from another country legally. You can't order certain drugs, like Valium, but you can order Retin-A!

post-107871-1254949874_thumb.jpg post-107871-1254949881_thumb.jpg

post-107871-1254949874_thumb.jpg

post-107871-1254949881_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@black-cat)

Posted : 10/15/2009 4:55 am

This is good information to know, I actually did think that this was not legal. In fact, I wish I had known this a few years ago.

Anyway, maybe you or someone else reading this thread can answer a question for me... I recently have finished a course of accutane. My skin is clear except for a very small whitehead I've noticed every now and then. I'm worried about breaking out again and I would like to get a prescription retinoid like Tazorac (whatever is covered by my current insurance) that I could use on the small whiteheads and to have in case it worsens in the future. Since my acne is pretty much gone (but could come back of course) I don't know if the medication and the doctor's visit would be covered by insurance. Does anyone know if they would?

MemberMember
(@scarfacee)

Posted : 11/10/2009 6:51 am

do you have the url of the site/pharmacy you used?? thanks!

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 05/30/2010 12:33 am

scarfacee said:
do you have the url of the site/pharmacy you used?? thanks!

Sorry for the delay! I didn't notice that anyone had responded to my post. The pharmacy which sent me the Retin-A Micro was called ADV-Care. Take a look at the page for US residents. You might also want to read up on what they offer (check out the FAQ and the price lists), and have a chat with one of their operators (Click under "Ask Your Virtual Pharmacist"). I don't know whether they're the cheapest or the best Canadian pharmacy; all I can say is that I found them very pleasant to deal with, and I was happy with the price, the shipping, and the product I received. I hope, if you decide to go this route, that it works out just as well for you as it did for me.

Also, you can look into getting Tretinoin, the generic form of Retin-A Micro. Some insurance companies will pay for Tretinoin but not RAM. See this thread (Retin-A Micro vs. Tretinoin).

MemberMember
(@blenkins90)

Posted : 12/26/2018 3:33 pm

Thanks for the useful info everyone! Honestly I've just started looking into online pharmacies to try and save because my premiums are going up in 2019. (Plus I'm in the same boat as a few of you where a lot of acne meds are not covered at all and super expensive to buy in the US)

Overall, your experiences have been pretty good? (just taking a look through the links that were left) Are there any that offer discount too for buying 90-120 day supplies?