Acanya?

MemberMember
(@laura-a)

Posted : 05/27/2009 9:33 pm

Has anyone tried Acanya? It's new... the drug stores don't even carry it. It's got Clindamycin Phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) in it.

Just curious if anyones tried it... I haven't found any reviews or personal experiences using it, and my dermatologist sure didn't say much about it, just handed me a prescription.

MemberMember
(@eyedclaire)

Posted : 08/08/2009 12:59 am

Yeah my derm did not tell me much about it either. It is fairly new. I have had a very positive experience with it. I was on a separate bp and clin gels before and it definately saves time. Though I received positive results, my skin became slightly more flaky but first applying a thin layer of Cerave lotion mixed with a few drops of jojoba took care of that. And the price tag is not desirable rounding out at around 160. I wish it came in a tube so I wouldn't have to stick my fingers in it everytime exposing it to air and bacteria and because of this packaging it expires in 2 months from time of opening.

MemberMember
(@dallat)

Posted : 08/08/2009 11:30 pm

This sounds like BenzaClin, which is 1% clindamycin phosphate and 5% benzoyl peroxide. Does it have you mix a vial into the gel to activate it? I used to be on BenzaClin for about a year, and let me tell you, it made my skin so dry, so you'll need a good moisturizer. Then again, Acanya contains half the BP, so you'll probably not experience as much dryness.

I didn't like putting my fingers in the jar, so I would take a little out at a time with the plastic stirrer that came with it and then apply it. BenzaClin cost me $20.00 with insurance. Without, it is about $90.

MemberMember
(@juicy_avenger)

Posted : 09/25/2009 6:55 pm

I just started using this a month ago for my clogged pores, along with Retin A at night. I haven't noticed a BIT of improvement but supposedly when it's time to get an extraction it will make it go easier. I did have a bad break out all over my face due to a new foundation though - and it really helped speed the healing when I used it on that! I don't think I'll use it regularly (after extraction) however because it STINGS and makes my face so so dry that even my thickest moisturizer barely helps. In fact putting moisturizer on TOP of the BP just makes it rub off. I'm going to try what the person above me said and do a layer of moisturizer first. Hopefully that won't prevent the BP from doing it's thing.

How is your experience with it now that it has been a while? How long does it take to make already formed pimples go away?

MemberMember
(@lschh5192)

Posted : 10/20/2009 8:13 am

I started using Acanya on October 2, 2009. I put it on at night and use Ziena during the day. I am also taking Solodyn daily and between the two topical medications and the one oral medication, I've seen a great improvement in my skin. I have oily skin so luckily, nothing is making me have dry skin and it's been a total of 15 days.

MemberMember
(@vegetariangirl)

Posted : 10/28/2009 6:40 pm

I have been on Acanya now for 3 months. It is one of the best medications I have been on!!! I am 30 years old and have terrible cystic acne and was about to go on Accutane but I wanted to try one last thing before going on it so I tried Acanya. Originally I was on Retin A micro for 8 plus months which totally destroyed my skin (cyst after cyst). I kept telling myself to stick with the Retin A and it would get better, but it never did. I decided to go off of the Retin A and now use Alpha Hyrdrox oil-free in the morning and night but in the morning I put the Acanya on after the Alpha Hydrox. I have not been this happy with my skin in years. I went from being depressed and sad and almost going on Accutane to being SO happy and almost getting a big head about how great I feel about myself. I hope I am not gynxing myself but I thought it might help to let everyone know how much Acanya has helped me.

And Acanya is NOTHING like Benaclyn. I was on that as well for a while and all it did was dry out my skin and make it mad. Acanya is very gentle and does not dry out my skin at all, it may be similar in ingredients (it does have less BP than Benzaclyn) but it is SO much better and less harsh.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

MemberMember
(@runnergrl)

Posted : 11/14/2009 9:57 am

Hey there!

I just started using Acanya 2 days ago along with Spiro 50 mg BID and have already seen improvement. I use the acanya at night only because its drying. It does have bp in it so be careful with it bleaching your pillow cases. I'm 25 and have been suffering from adult onset acne for about 1 yr...mainly on the jawline and cheek area and the derm said its all hormonal in my case. I had my hormones tested and I have too much testosterone for a girl..lol hope I don't develop body hair too.

MemberMember
(@k10fbomb)

Posted : 11/24/2009 3:52 pm

I just got home from seeing my Derm and she wrote me a script for Acayna.

I've been on millions of different kinds of meds, Retin A, Differen, Benzaclyn, etc. Along with multiple antibiotics. Right now I use Eryhtromycin, a benzoyle peroxide wash, and Tazorac.

I have mild acne, it flares up every so often and I almost always have a least a few little pimples here and there.

But anyway, I just turned in the Acayna perscription and I really hope it works.

I'll keep you guys updated.

:)

MemberMember
(@acnecathy)

Posted : 01/03/2010 9:15 pm

My doc just gave me the prescription for the daily acanya days ago, and I got redness, and my acne got worse, does this mean I need stop to use this medicine, or after 1-2 weeks , it will get better?

MemberMember
(@actag)

Posted : 01/18/2010 8:24 pm

My doc just gave me the prescription for the daily acanya days ago, and I got redness, and my acne got worse, does this mean I need stop to use this medicine, or after 1-2 weeks , it will get better?

I would stop this, same thing happened to me. I used the acanya for about 2 weeks and my breakouts got progressively worse. I wish I hadn't, turns out i was allergic to some ingredients, particularly Clindamycin. It made my face unbearably dry and itchy, no matter how much moisturizer i used

MemberMember
(@nadzu)

Posted : 01/23/2010 10:16 pm

I was prescribed Acanya about 2 months ago and my derm has kept me on it after my last appointment. I like it a lot compared to the Differin I was using during the day. Acanya has helped the acne I still have clear up a little bit. I wish it would do something for my marks though, but as far as acne I would say it's better than a lot of other stuff I've used.

MemberMember
(@ana88)

Posted : 03/08/2010 7:17 pm

i was just prescribed acanya. i finished my first round of accutane 6 months ago. i was in remission for 3 months and now it's coming back. before trying a second round of accutane, my derm suggested trying acanya. i have tried every other topical so hopefully this works. my derm said it was new so she didnt have much to say about it. if youve had good results, please post! thanks!!

MemberMember
(@jacobnoah)

Posted : 03/09/2010 10:57 pm

I started Acanya and Differin last week and I have seen amazing improvement. I would say approximately 90% of my inflammation has ceased and my skin looks really good.(exciting! ) The only problem I had with it was that I couldn't go outside without sunscreen or else I would get a little burn. That was easily solved by using a moisturizer with an SPF in it. Overall it has been awesome! Hope this helped!

MemberMember
(@corey2158)

Posted : 04/04/2010 2:16 pm

i have been using acanya for a week now. i just got on spiro (just 25mg). i have broken out even more and im super dry!!! should i stop?

MemberMember
(@lin402)

Posted : 04/10/2010 12:48 pm

I have been on Acanya now for 3 months. It is one of the best medications I have been on!!! I am 30 years old and have terrible cystic acne and was about to go on Accutane but I wanted to try one last thing before going on it so I tried Acanya. Originally I was on Retin A micro for 8 plus months which totally destroyed my skin (cyst after cyst). I kept telling myself to stick with the Retin A and it would get better, but it never did. I decided to go off of the Retin A and now use Alpha Hyrdrox oil-free in the morning and night but in the morning I put the Acanya on after the Alpha Hydrox. I have not been this happy with my skin in years. I went from being depressed and sad and almost going on Accutane to being SO happy and almost getting a big head about how great I feel about myself. I hope I am not gynxing myself but I thought it might help to let everyone know how much Acanya has helped me.

And Acanya is NOTHING like Benaclyn. I was on that as well for a while and all it did was dry out my skin and make it mad. Acanya is very gentle and does not dry out my skin at all, it may be similar in ingredients (it does have less BP than Benzaclyn) but it is SO much better and less harsh.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

Ive just started using acanya a week ago along with solodyn and metrogel. I havnt seen much improvement. I still get one or two breakouts. How long after you started using acanya did you see results? When did the new breakouts stop?

MemberMember
(@lin402)

Posted : 04/10/2010 12:53 pm

i have been using acanya for a week now. i just got on spiro (just 25mg). i have broken out even more and im super dry!!! should i stop?

I have been on acanya for over a week now also. Not much improvement. I still get one or two new breakouts. =/ I hoping it will get better in the next few weeks

MemberMember
(@sullivan)

Posted : 06/18/2010 2:55 pm

I have been Acanya for about 2 months along with a cleanser. At one point along the month and a half period my skin really broke out to about the worst I have seen it before. But then my acne began to become less inflamed and i started seeing results. But then my skin starting breaking out again. My doctor says she will keep me on it for another 3 weeks and then she will decide if its time to move onto another gel.

MemberMember
(@snarebear)

Posted : 06/25/2010 6:12 pm

Had my Acanya gel for about a week and I love it already, it does not stink or leave a residue. My derm also told me (major derm office with 5 docs) that several patients have been on this and had great success, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. The only negative I have heard is that its expensive, they are running a coupon right now so you can get it for $25 for 3 refills. You do get a good size jar so I hope to make it last as long as possible. Others have mentioned sticking their hand in the jar I use a Q-tip to dot out 4 spots (forehead, chin, each cheek) and then rub it in all over. Just let it dry and wash your hands because it has bleached one of my towels already. I use an oil free mositurizer on top after it dries to keep my face from flaking even though I have oily skin the topicals can dry it out, this also helps your makeup or powder go on smoother then next day (i know seems counter intuitive but try it). So I take Spiro (25mg once daily) and Doryx (150mg extended release, once daily) so hopefully this acanya gel (once daily at night) will be the trifecta. I'll update with results in 2 weeks...

MemberMember
(@acne_hater24)

Posted : 06/30/2010 11:51 pm

Ok I got it about two an a half months ago. My derm told me I should wait about three months to see full results. She told me that I might break out more, scale, haveredness, and and flaking. Before I started using it I had maybe two breakouts. After about three days of using it I started to getmore and more untill on the fourth day I had 3x what I had before! I told myself it woul get better and to keep using it because soon it would all pay off. Itjust got worse and worse and worse and worse. And I stopped using it fo about a week. AndI was fine no pimples or anything. But one day my face was oily so I used it the next orning i had a pimple. hree days later I broke out more than I ever have I had about twenty just on my forehead! I had atleest seven on both my cheeks fifteen on my nse and eight on my chin! It was terrible! I would NOT reccomned this to anyone EVER!

MemberMember
(@twenty)

Posted : 07/01/2010 12:29 am

ACANYA IS A MIRACLE!!! i actually got compliments on my skin

everything was completely gone in 2 weeks and believe me it was BAD!

unfortunately my acne was stubborn and it came back full force and now i am on accutane. but acanya is the answer for many.

if you dont try it you will be sorry

MemberMember
(@myaamazing)

Posted : 08/03/2010 11:24 pm

ACANYA IS A MIRACLE!!! i actually got compliments on my skin

everything was completely gone in 2 weeks and believe me it was BAD!

unfortunately my acne was stubborn and it came back full force and now i am on accutane. but acanya is the answer for many.

if you dont try it you will be sorry

When you say it was BAD? how BAD exactly was it? because i have major breakouts on both sides of my cheeks.. it makes my face all red and bumpy.. i haven't left my house in a month because i was so embarrassed.. the only time i left my house was to see the derm this morning?

was yours anywhere close to as bad as mine?

I have school in 2 weeks so I'm extremely concerned!

MemberMember
(@smashley007)

Posted : 08/09/2010 12:54 pm

I've been using Acanya since the beginning of June and I really like it. My skin has improved drastically (granted, I'm also on Doxy right now so that's definitely part of my success) and I've only had one small cyst since I started using it. I started off using it twice a day, but that was too drying so I switched to only using it at night and I find it works just as well. I use more than recommended (like a blueberry size dollop instead of a pea) followed by Dan's moisturizer at night and my skin isn't dry at all, on the contrary, it's smoother than it's been in a long time. I ALWAYS break out right before my period and unfortunately this didn't stop that completely, however the breakout I had was much smaller than usual. I definitely recommend trying it out.

MemberMember
(@ginabus)

Posted : 08/16/2010 8:48 am

Be careful when you use this medication. I have experienced skin discoloration with it. I only use it at night and I wash my face in the AM. I was out on the sun after using it in the evening and I cam in to find brown discoloration on my face. I always wear a lotion with sunscreen and I had no make up on!

MemberMember
(@phillyd)

Posted : 08/18/2010 11:40 am

Yea Acanya is definitly one of the better acne medications. I am currently using Aczone in the morning and Acanya at night. I also use neutrogena 2 in 1 fight and fade gel during the day to help with scars, but this could dry out some peoples faces too much.

MemberMember
(@rebecca1980)

Posted : 10/31/2010 3:09 pm

I've been on acanya only a few days but it is definitely drying/killing my nasty cystic acne-i love it!

skin seems less inflamed and it brings pimples to a head fast so they heal fast! :); blackheads become super easy to extract too; i just also wish it was in a tube and not a jar-very bizarre-need to get a spatula to remove contents with. i have no insurance and my derm gave me a discount card so it will always only cost me 25 bucks!