Notifications
Clear all

Physician's Assistant

MemberMember
(@sme)

Posted : 01/02/2009 3:08 pm

So I finally made an appt. at a derm's office and they scheduled me with a physician's assistant?! I am going to ask if accutane is right for me. (Dealt with moderate acne for about 4-5years, tried mino, tetra, doxycycline, BCPs, topicals tazorac, differin, BP, Duac)/

Has anyone ever had a physician's assistant monitor their progress on accutane?

MemberMember
(@yo-adrienne)

Posted : 01/03/2009 1:50 pm

yeah i see a physicians assistant. my "derm" is basically useless except to write my script and leave. he has no advice or suggestions on how to help me. but i got my accutane so im happy. maybe yours will be better. but if you've tried all of those other treatments, they will probably let you go on accutane. just do a lot of research on your own and educate yourself because my derm didnt tell me much... i had to find everything out on my own.

MemberMember
(@sme)

Posted : 01/03/2009 7:41 pm

yeah i see a physicians assistant. my "derm" is basically useless except to write my script and leave. he has no advice or suggestions on how to help me. but i got my accutane so im happy. maybe yours will be better. but if you've tried all of those other treatments, they will probably let you go on accutane. just do a lot of research on your own and educate yourself because my derm didnt tell me much... i had to find everything out on my own.

Thanks for the advice. I told my mom i was going to the physician's assistant at the derm's and she was upset since she wanted me to see a derm! the lady i made the appt. with said the physician's assistant handles all the acne cases so... i have done a ton of research since about june so i know all the side effects and have read many accutane journals and now its just up to the doctor!

MemberMember
(@intruderii2)

Posted : 01/03/2009 10:58 pm

Derms are way too hard to get a hold of.

I also wanted to get a derm, but I had a severe cystic outbreak and I couldn't wait 5 months just for an appointment. So, I made an appointment with a PA and I've been very happy with her. We went straight to Accutane because it was pretty obvious that I needed it.

MemberMember
(@djfunz)

Posted : 01/03/2009 11:19 pm

PA's will be exclusively what you will receive for the most part.

PA's will be exclusively what you will receive for the most part.

MemberMember
(@dermatology-p-a)

Posted : 09/20/2014 10:28 am

I am a dermatology PA and I appreciate hearing the comments from all of you. I have helped over a thousand acne sufferers though their course of isotretinoin (formerly Accutane) and I have seen many referrals or transfers from patients getting scarred through years of antibiotics and multiple topicals. I am glad to see you all realize we are your advocates and will listen to you and help you.

The PA I know and work with, are more knowledgeable than our MD associates, in regards to isotretinoin. Don't let the "assistant" part of our title fool you. We see our own patients, write our own prescriptions, and when the docs get stuck with a difficult acne case, they come to us for advice.

Likewise, when I have a cancer case that requires Mohs surgery, I rely on the expert physicians in our group to give our patients the best care.

We work as a team. Trust your PA. They take national boards and have extremely high standards for knowledge and excellence. And, we care about you!